Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sorento went 3500 miles over the last 3 months and never left town. But yesterday I packed up the family and did a 360 mile day trip from Phoenix to a ski area near Flagstaff Arizona, taking us from an elevation of 1200 feet up to 9500 feet and back again. All the driving was freeway except about 15 miles in the area near flagstaff. Most of the freeway was posted at 75 mph.

The fuel economy was good for a vehicle of this size but not near the EPA estimate of 32 mpg. The indicator showed 28.6 while the actual was 26.6 for the whole trip. The terrain included lots of 6 percent grades, some being miles long. I suppose the mpg could have increased if the roads were less mountainous or if the speeds were slower. I did use the manual shifter many times, both to maintain 75 mph uphill and to keep the speed down to 75 around some downhill turns that were marked with 55 mpg warning signs.

I must say that am really impressed with the handling of the Sorento, including 75 mph cornering and also some tight slower switchbacks on the mountain road leading up to the ski area. I did this same trip with my 2009 Corvette and the Sorento is not a disappointment in the handling area. The power of the 2.4 Gdi motor is fine too. As I understand it the V6 gets similar mpg but I would not pay more to get a V6 unless it was needed for towing in hilly areas.

The only disappointment was that the seats became uncomfortable after an hour or so. This was a bit surprising since they are so comfortable for short trips. Maybe I could have done a better job of adjusting the seat to improve comfort.

The brakes were really good, very predictable and plenty of slowing power from higher speeds downhill.

So overall I remain very favorably impressed with the Sorento! :)

·
Registered
2012 AWD Sorento GDI EX
55 Posts
Gdi

Mine got 26 on a recent trip. Sometimes it would reach for 27, but any variation in climb it dropped back to 26. I only have 1500 miles on this engine.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento SX
18 Posts
I am getting an average of 22-23mpg with a V6 driving in Florida which is mostly all flat. That is a mix of highway and city driving. I have not blasted out a full tank on a single road trip yet. I am approaching 5k total miles on the vehicle.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento LX V6
15 Posts
We took our 11' V6 LX from St. Louis to Columbus, OH leaded up and pulled just over 27 on the way there and 25.7 on the way home.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As the OP, I want to thank those who replied to my post, and say that I also did the same trip previously in my 2012 Hyundai Sonata with the 2.4GDi motor and got 36 mpg actual. Although the Sorento is 400 lbs heavier than the Sonata, that would not seem to fully account for such a big reduction in fuel economy (36 to 27). So I believe the remaining difference is due to aerodynamics. The Sonata has one of the lowest drag coeffecients around, while the Sorento is much higher profile. Great for cargo space, but not so much for mpg. I guess there is no free lunch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My Sorento went 3500 miles over the last 3 months and never left town. But yesterday I packed up the family and did a 360 mile day trip from Phoenix to a ski area near Flagstaff Arizona, taking us from an elevation of 1200 feet up to 9500 feet and back again. All the driving was freeway except about 15 miles in the area near flagstaff. Most of the freeway was posted at 75 mph.

The fuel economy was good for a vehicle of this size but not near the EPA estimate of 32 mpg. The indicator showed 28.6 while the actual was 26.6 for the whole trip. The terrain included lots of 6 percent grades, some being miles long. I suppose the mpg could have increased if the roads were less mountainous or if the speeds were slower. I did use the manual shifter many times, both to maintain 75 mph uphill and to keep the speed down to 75 around some downhill turns that were marked with 55 mpg warning signs.

I must say that am really impressed with the handling of the Sorento, including 75 mph cornering and also some tight slower switchbacks on the mountain road leading up to the ski area. I did this same trip with my 2009 Corvette and the Sorento is not a disappointment in the handling area. The power of the 2.4 Gdi motor is fine too. As I understand it the V6 gets similar mpg but I would not pay more to get a V6 unless it was needed for towing in hilly areas.

The only disappointment was that the seats became uncomfortable after an hour or so. This was a bit surprising since they are so comfortable for short trips. Maybe I could have done a better job of adjusting the seat to improve comfort.

The brakes were really good, very predictable and plenty of slowing power from higher speeds downhill.

So overall I remain very favorably impressed with the Sorento! :)
My 2013 EX has about 1850 miles. Assessment of my car's MPG, it always has 2 MPG difference btw indicator and actual (manually calculate) MPG....just like your case (28.6 MPG vs 26.6 MPG). I'm currently getting about 25 MPG (actual) ... 70% hwy / 30% local

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got my 2011 ex v6 in march 2010 in Las Vegas. Around town it wasnt over 16mpg but i didnt drive far and it was all surface streets so i kinda expected it. Road tripping from Vegas to LA it would run about 23mpg (75mph+). I moved to eastern washington and on the long open 65mph zones it was up to 25mpg. When it rolled over 25k miles i noticed it suddenly going over 28mpg consistently. Now its always 27.5-30.2mpg. Just for those that have low miles and questioned the mileage give it time, i think the v6 needs a good break in period.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts