Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many tire experts will tell you that all-season tires are a waste of money; being neither fish nor fowl, they try to do everything and end up doing nothing very well. There is definitely some truth to this perception. Most all-season tires are in essence either watered-down snow tires, summer tires with winter features tacked on, or an overambitious hodgepodge of features that end up canceling each other out.

That is why I am getting rid of my new tires on my KOH with 2000 miles and putting on Nokian all weather tires . With Trade Kal Tires in Vancouver is charging me 622 .In Canada they have the exclusive and they are a really good tire chain
Here is a quote from a tire rating service
Pros:

Superior linear and cornering grip in snow and ice.
Innovative slushplaning technology.
Extremely low rolling resistance saves fuel.
Ecologically responsible materials.

Summer performance is average.
Softer compound means faster tread wear.
Relatively high price

·
Registered
297 Posts
There is difference between All-Season and All-Weather tires and he just learned about this.
Depending how much he drives, it may be waist of money as those very good Nokians will be no better than all-seasons after 40K km or 2 years of driving.
Also, living in Vancouver and not taking advantage of much lower prices on tires in US is also a waist.
We don't have it too bad in the city but anywhere outside city will get snow and ice on the roads.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is difference between All-Season and All-Weather tires and he just learned about this.
Depending how much he drives, it may be waist of money as those very good Nokians will be no better than all-seasons after 40K km or 2 years of driving.
Also, living in Vancouver and not taking advantage of much lower prices on tires in US is also a waist.
We don't have it too bad in the city but anywhere outside city will get snow and ice on the roads.
I drive about 12,000 klms/year rarely outside of YVR except maybe the occasional drive across the line to Blaine Wa where I have a US [post office box . The new Nokians are better than the older ones and are a little firmer so I should easily get 50K on them > I have driven on them before and I especially like the wet handling .Hopefully we will have a snow free winter

·
Registered
47 Posts
All weather tires are made of a rubber compound that is more suited for cold climate, so when the temperatures rise.... They really have some to be desired too. Plus they may also may lose some benefits on long highway trips where the tires heat up and the roadway is dry.

There is no one perfect tire unless you have many sets of different tires and you want to keep changing them for driving and weather conditions. Same reasons they change tires and inflation pressures on the race track. You just might say that all season tires might be considered all purpose. Not all tires including "all season" tires are created equal. There are thousands of tire compounds and thread patterns involved and being manufactured. Do check all those ratings and many reviews before spending your money.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the Nokian's installed on Saturday and we had a monsoon weekend and my KOH was perfect in the heavy rain and far quieter. My wife even noticed the difference

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in Vancouver proper and have a 2010 Forte Koupe SX and after 4.5 years and 55K KMs need to replace my factory Goodyear Eagles. I've called around and gotten quotes from everyone from Costco to Fountain to Kal. I've decided to go with the Nokian all-weather tire even though installed they're going to be $1,137. Costco has Michellin Premier installed for $729 but I feel the Nokian will pay themselves off in handling in our rain, addressing any rare snow conditions and thus overall safety. Will provide feedback but excited to give them a shot.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I live in Vancouver proper and have a 2010 Forte Koupe SX and after 4.5 years and 55K KMs need to replace my factory Goodyear Eagles. I've called around and gotten quotes from everyone from Costco to Fountain to Kal. I've decided to go with the Nokian all-weather tire even though installed they're going to be $1,137. Costco has Michellin Premier installed for $729 but I feel the Nokian will pay themselves off in handling in our rain, addressing any rare snow conditions and thus overall safety. Will provide feedback but excited to give them a shot.
Jeff you will love them I bought mine from Kal ( I think they are the exclusive) on 12th and Arbutus and cannot say enough about the service from Kal. I have had mine on for a week and went drove through the monsoons we had on and off last week with absolutely perfect traction Good luck.,. PS I got a very good trade in on my tries ( 80 dollar each) so my price was 625+tax .

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought the Nokians at Main and 2nd location, dive of a location but great service. So far so good and never new new tires could actually make me smile. Been raining since i bought them and terential downpours this morning and not a care in the world. My Eagles were work right out so assuming I wouldn't have gotten anything for trade in (but didn't know that was an option).

And yes, they noted that they are exclusive in Canada to Kal.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought the Nokians at Main and 2nd location, dive of a location but great service. So far so good and never new new tires could actually make me smile. Been raining since i bought them and terential downpours this morning and not a care in the world. My Eagles were work right out so assuming I wouldn't have gotten anything for trade in (but didn't know that was an option).

And yes, they noted that they are exclusive in Canada to Kal.
Last night ( 10/22/14) was horrible rain, roads flooded due to leaves blocking storm sewers and my morning commute ( 10/23) was not much better --- my Nokians were great no hydroplaning good grip, quiet and good braking . I trust yours were also . Lets compare notes after our first snow fall

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A friend of mine bought tires from Discount Tires in Bellingham and his deal on Blizzaks was not all that good considering where the the dollar currently sits as well "free service items" are in Bellingham about 45 miles away so factoring in Gas for 90 miles and border waits is it really worth it

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've been buying tires from Tirerack for years and even after shipping cost and exchange they still cost less. It also depends on size and brand/make of tire. I bought last 4 full sets from them and am pleased with experience as well as savings. I get them shipped to Blaine thou.
I agree that if one doesn't have Nexus then wait at the border is usually long; never been charged duty on tires even thou declared them every time. It's cheaper to get them mounted in Canada.
IMHO, General Altimax Arctic is all we need here in Vancouver, it's a very good and fairly cheap tire too. Many places would give you a good discount on mounting/balancing here in Vancouver if you pay cash as well.
Also, if one is to keep vehicle for years, then getting winter rims and tires makes sense, one would have to look at rim/tire sizing and associated costs too as smaller rim and skinnier but taller tire would give better price. Taller and skinnier tire is also a better choice for winter conditions.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been buying tires from Tirerack for years and even after shipping cost and exchange they still cost less. It also depends on size and brand/make of tire. I bought last 4 full sets from them and am pleased with experience as well as savings. I get them shipped to Blaine thou.
I agree that if one doesn't have Nexus then wait at the border is usually long; never been charged duty on tires even thou declared them every time. It's cheaper to get them mounted in Canada.
IMHO, General Altimax Arctic is all we need here in Vancouver, it's a very good and fairly cheap tire too. Many places would give you a good discount on mounting/balancing here in Vancouver if you pay cash as well.
Also, if one is to keep vehicle for years, then getting winter rims and tires makes sense, one would have to look at rim/tire sizing and associated costs too as smaller rim and skinnier but taller tire would give better price. Taller and skinnier tire is also a better choice for winter conditions.
I like having a local company get the business it keeps people employed and I know that if there is a problem it will be solved locally not through an 800 number Just my view but thanks for your input that is why we have these sites :nerd:

·
Registered
297 Posts
^^ I agree on buying local, unless price differences are substantial. I also prefer giving my business to people I know or dealt with (and happy with outcome) in the past.
BUT, I consider myself a Citizen and not a Taxpayer, as many Gov and NGO bodies want us to be painted, and self-referred. No, I'm not a milking cow.

I refuse to buy gas (one example) in Canada. Current lowest local price is $1.22/L while I can buy comparable quality gas in USA at $0.83/L. It takes me 15-20 minutes and 8 miles (both ways) drive, while shortest ever was 8 minutes. With 2 cars in household and filling up 4 times a month.. do your own math.
I do shop on Amazon USA as well for many things, just picked up a T-Fal iron yesterday paying almost 1/3 of the local Canadian price.

WHY pay thru my nose??? We pay taxes on top of taxes, that's right - tax is also taxed.

IF 'North American Free Trade Agreement' (NAFTA) works so well, why are local prices 30% (and up to 300%+) higher on average? There is 12-13% exchange (at the moment), but ... what's then?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
6 Participants
funnyman7915
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing