Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Kia Sephia, 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, need an opinion...

My muffler and tail pipe are completely ate out. the belly of the muffler is completely gone, gunna replace, no queston...

the tail pipe is swiss cheesed also... gunna replace, no way around it

im gettin error codes from the O2 sensors so im replacing those as well.

this is gettin really costly, i've located the stuff as cheap as i can, its all on ebay (brand new parts)

while im at it, should I go the extra mile and replace the cat converter also? like I said its gettin costly and I have a motorcycle I need to fix up as well. i dont have alot of money and im doing this all with my tax return.

i'll use the motor cycle more than the car once the bike is up and running.

the timing was recently repaired on the car (the water pump went out and the timing needed to be removed anyways, while under knife, why not) with new timing pulleys and timing belt my MPG went from 17 to 24. when I first bought this car i was doing about 32 MPG. i'd like to have that back. you think the O2 sensors alone will give me that or should I do the converter with it?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Greetings,

re: eBay for sourcing exhaust parts - you might also try looking online (google) for a coupon code or two for Advance Auto Parts or AutoZone, to see if you can source the exhaust parts locally w/ discount (vs. shipping fees) -- I did this when replacing the exhaust on the 1997 Ford Aspire here, it worked out to be less expensive to purchase online & pickup locally using online discount codes, vs. eBay + shipping..

re: Cat converter: without knowing how many miles on the original Cat., or the O2 sensor error codes, I'd say defer on the Cat. replacement -until- you have the O2 sensor codes sorted out, and new exhaust system installed: in other words, avoid replacing the Cat. if the other needed repairs solve the low MPG issue..

Hope this helps,
& good luck on the repair,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greetings,

re: eBay for sourcing exhaust parts - you might also try looking online (google) for a coupon code or two for Advance Auto Parts or AutoZone, to see if you can source the exhaust parts locally w/ discount (vs. shipping fees) -- I did this when replacing the exhaust on the 1997 Ford Aspire here, it worked out to be less expensive to purchase online & pickup locally using online discount codes, vs. eBay + shipping..

re: Cat converter: without knowing how many miles on the original Cat., or the O2 sensor error codes, I'd say defer on the Cat. replacement -until- you have the O2 sensor codes sorted out, and new exhaust system installed: in other words, avoid replacing the Cat. if the other needed repairs solve the low MPG issue..

Hope this helps,
& good luck on the repair,
GottaCruise

thanks for the feed back

i dont normally pay attention to the odometer (and right now im not willing to check, i'll have to bundle up and there is a blizzard going on out there) but to my recolection i think there is 160k+

the muffler, what little left there is, is still hangin... the tail pipe is dragging on the ground. im sick of cuttin wire and rehainging it so i stopped n got some metal cuttin blades for my sawz'all

i've found better prices on ebay than i have from buying locally. everything i've found offers free shipping and its all less than half of what autozone is asking for

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sephia, 1991 Mustang 5.0
17 Posts
If you havent already done so, you might want to remove the cats and gut them out if you are going to keep them. Being that the car has 160k+ miles i wouldn't doubt that they might melt and clog everything up. Had it happen to me after my thermostat went out and my car overheated. It will be a lil throatier sounding and you'll have a permanent error code, but there is a fix to bybass it that I remember reading about. All this being said, I live in Florida with no emissions so keep that in mind.

You also might want to take a look at a local junkyard, I have seen some Sephia down here that are junk but the exhaust looks fairly new. Doesnt hurt to take a look.

Goodluck

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I havent ordered anything yet.

Im a bit confused on the cat converter and what I should replace.

it seems this vehicle has 2 cat converters (or a 2 stage cat system)

do i need to replace them both?

Im a firm beliver is in "do it right, do it once"

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sephia, 1991 Mustang 5.0
17 Posts
Well I can tell you from gutting mine there is definitely two cats, and you would need to replace both because they each have a honeycomb web of I believe to be some type of carbon to filter the exhaust fumes.

the first cat would be the one hooked up the the headers that per your diagram has 5 bolts.

Then second is the obvious one right below after the small piece of pipe.

They are labeled there as Warm-up TWC and TWC.

hope that helps

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, i have both cat conveters coming, muffler kit, both O2 sensors and a fuel filter.

Now to worry about my motorcycle....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts