1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I 'm a new member. I like this Forum
I have a simple problem , I have kia rio box 2005 car

When I run the air conditioner I notice that the car 's engine does not increase the speed as the rest of the other cars

If the air conditioner is turned on while the car is parked ,the engine sometime turns off.

This problem is bothering me many do not find a solution

What the solution do you think?

thank you

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul+, Kia Sportage SX FWD
468 Posts
Clean the IACV (idle air control valve). As long as you're in there, clean the MAF sensor, and do a throttle body cleaning. www.kiatechinfo.com gives you free info on how to do these things. Might be time for a tune-up (new plugs, check wires,air filter) as well. Change the timing belt if it has 60K miles on it.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Some earlier installations of AC in 4-cylinder cars had a solenoid to boost the idle speed when the AC cuts in. I don't think KIAs have this and I've noticed a slight drop in RPM in our Forte when the AC compressor runs. Try the tune-up as suggested and the fuel injection system should cope with the AC.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am sorry for late because this forum did not notice me to that, there is a reply for my thread
regarding the IACV (idle air control valve) I already cleaned it two months ago.
On the other hand , I notice that there is a solenoid valve (I think it is Purge Control Solenoid Valve) which connect between carburetor (or air vacuum unit) and the canister which is connecter to fuel tank.
Is this valve responsible for the increasing the idle speed when the AC turns on?
regarding the web www.kiatechinfo.com. I have registered with it, put how I can put my problem there?

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rio5, manual, roll up windows. 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 5.9L V8
341 Posts
No, that canister is for the emissions system. There will be a small solenoid attached to the intake manifold near the purge control.

Many cars don't increase the RPMs when the A/C is on. But as the other posters have said, locate and clean the IAC and the throttle body.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dear drx350
thank you and all posters very much
your word is significant.
Many cars don't increase the RPMs when the A/C is on.

So how can I know if my car is like these cars?
My car is 4-cylinder Kia Rio box 2005.

If we assume that the problem is because of the IAC and the throttle body, so why my car works OK when I begin starting up, (viz. when I begin starting up first the RPM increases normally for 3-4 minutes, then decrease), which mean that the IAC is works good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi
I have done what you advised me with respect to clean the IAC and the throttle body
after I had finished cleaning ,I turned on the A/C . I surprised that, the RPM did not increase but the RPM decreased.
So where the mistake?

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,023 Posts
Best follow the instructions on www.kiatechinfo.com for testing the IAC - possibly it's bad and that's why cleaning it doesn't resolve the problem.

Can you hear the IAC buzzing with just the ignition turned on ?

If your car has an IAC, then it will modulate to maintain design idle RPM when the load changes due to the AC or any other load such as lights, fans etc. - it does not necessarily 'increase' the idle RPM, but keeps it at design idle RPM.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dear ron1004

while I was testing the IAC out from it unit, I noticed that if I turn the key to the first on but not runing the motor , the IAC would be half open .but when I was turn the key to the off state ,IAC moved to full open then close like this videos

so what do you think? Is IAC good or bad?
With respect to the web site which you have indicated to ,where exactly you advised me to go ?

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,023 Posts
If your IAC is functioning as per that video, then it's good.

If your idle speed is not being controlled under all load conditions, then it may need to be hooked up to a scanner to observe the 'duty cycle' output to the IAC is doing what it should.

I haven't got access to the KiaTech web site right now, but you need to look under the fuel management section.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for your cooperation

I have attached picture related the service catalog of Kia Rio cars which someone has given me.

Could you see it and tell me how can I inspect the defect?

I'm thinking that brought a Voltmeter. After that run the engine then tests the voltage in this sensor when either turn on the A/C or turns off.

Attachments

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,023 Posts
It is usually tested with a scanner, but you could most likely see something using a multimeter between the center pin and one of the outside pins (try the multimeter on DC and then on AC) just looking for a response, but cannot say what exact voltage to expect.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dear ron1004

Thank you very much for your valuable advices

I will tell you what happened.

I removed the IAC sensor socket, while the engine was running.

When I had done that, the RPM speed increased and the check engine lamp lit.
I test the voltage of the three pins by put one of the multimeter pole in the Goraud while the other was connected to any one of that three pins.
Then I record the volts. After that I turn on A/C and re-record the volts.
I noticed that there is no change in the recorded voltage before and after turn-on the A/C or light.

so what is you comment about that.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,023 Posts
If you had the multimeter connected between ground on the 'open' terminal, then you should see the average voltage go down when you increase the load at idle.

For the ECM to determine that it is at 'idle' the TPS needs to be set and working correctly - are you confident that the TPS is correct ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts