Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Carnival
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Carnival II CRDi VGT A/T; production year: 2008.

The car has passed 50.000 km, but it has not been functioning properly from the day one. And in the car repair shop KMAG cannot fix the problem. They are trying, addmitting that there is a problem, but for the last four and half years they are not able to resolve it.

During the winter, and the cold days, the car is functioning properly, but with the summer temperatures of above 20oC, the reaction is remarkably slow. The engine accepts the throtle only after three seconds, and it starts only when it reaches 2000rpm, which all makes the vehiche not only difficult but also dangerous to drive.

When I start driving, instead of starting immediately after I push the throttle, for the first 2-3 seconds it speeds up extremely poorly, as if a hand-gear car would start the drive in the fourth gear and than after another 2-3 seconds it starts powerfully. The problem is not connected with the shift lever, while when I put it in the manual mode in the first gear it also starts off only after 2-3 seconds, instead of starting immediately. I repeat, in the morning, when it is colder, the car starts normally.

The problem also arises when I slow down suddenly and I want to speed up again, for the first 2 to 3 seconds it almost doesn't speed up at all, although the automatic shift lever has switched to the lower gear, either automatically, or I have in the manual mode switched to the lower gear. Let me repeat once more that in the morning, when the air is colder, no such problems occur and the car accelerates strongly immediately.

I noticed when the air conditioner is turned off completely, the problem still exists, but is much less delay.

I drove the car to the repair shop and the serviceman drove it in the periods where there are no problems (colder days) and again after a few days when the problems occured. The servicemen noticed the difference, addmitted that there was a problem, but unfortunately that he was unable to fix it. Until now they have changed numerous car parts, but none of this helped.
I have been to the repair shop for at least seven or eight times (sometimes I left the car there for two or three days), but they have never solved the problem that they admit it exists, but they don't know how to fix it.

When I start the car for the first time in a day, for the first five to six seconds, the motor functions unevenly and shakes. During the winter and low temperatures, it worked properly, but now when the morning temperatures are above 15oC, in the first seconds it works very unevenly. After that, for the rest of the day, it functions properly. Let me also mention that this smoke stinks awfully.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
It sounds like you need to find a good independent diesel mechanic.
Are there any OBDII codes stored? Have you replaced the engine temperature sensor? It sounds like it can't make the proper decisions on the air/fuel mixture.
Looks like it's a turbo (no diesel KIAs in the USA) and you are getting turbo lag..
A good diesel mechanic should be able to sort out the problems (not at KIA).
Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
A bad manifold air flow meter (MAF) will give slow gass pedal response and lack of power. Did the mechanics check this one?
best regards

·
Registered
Carnival
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was yesterday twelfth time in service in the last 4 years and still have the same problem.

Yesterday tested the MAF and say it's OK. Reset on the automatic transmission adaptive values, but it did not help. Temperature sensor was changed a year ago as the EGR, but it did not help.

Servicers say they see and feel the problem, but that they can not be repaired because the ODBII computer does not have a Error codes.

They gave me an explanation of the KIA and Delphi for a problem that occurs and say KIA claims that this is normal and it's all because the engine gets ECO 5 norm. Explanation of the PDF at the link:
KIA_doc20110906114014.pdf

I think that the problem is not linked to ECO-test, since when the air conditioner is off, the car works almost normally. I have driven this car in the worst of heats (above 35 degrees Celsius) with the air conditioner completely turned off and it worked properly. When I turned the air conditioner on, the motor regularly had slow throttle response. When I start the car with the air conditioner on, it starts to work poorly after 500 metres.

There can be no excuse whatsoever for such an unsafe car. Whatever is causing this problem should be solved in agreement with the manufacturer and whatever replacement is to be done, it has to be done. It is abnormal that the air conditioning is taking the motor the 80 % of its power.

When the air conditioner is on, is several seconds throtle response delayed. The higher the temperature and the more the air conditioner is working, the throttle response is slower. The motor without the pushed throttle is working on cca 800 rpm. When the air conditioner is completely off (or only ventilation is on, namely without the compressor), throttle response is normal.

When I press the throttle, the rpm is growing and the car speeds up. But when the air conditioner is on (with the compressor), throttle response is extremely slow and it takes up to three to five seconds for the motor to reach cca 1800 rpm and only then it speeds up. Until it reaches 1800 rpm for those three to five seconds, it seems as if it starts from the fourth gear.

The problem is very visible at the speed up to 60 km/hour, that is when I start the car until I keep driving faster than 60 km/h. That is, the problem occurs when I start the car, while the car normally speeds up only after it slowly drives for 10 to 15 metres before it speeds up. It also appears when I am driving at the speed of 30km/h and want to change lanes, which demands that I speed up to at least 40 km/h. I give the turn signal, push the throttle, but for the first several seconds it is not speeding up at all, as if the motors is congested and only after several seconds when the motor finally reaches 1800 rpm, it speeds up. I hope that you notice the gravity of the problem, since I risk my life every day, particularly in changing lanes, since no one expects that another driver shall change lanes and not speed up, but I cannot speed up since the motor is simply not speeding up for several seconds, although I am pressing the throttle.

I am aware of the fact that the air conditioning is lessening the motor power, but my car has 185 horse powers and it turns out as if the air conditioner needs the 150 HP to work.

The higher the temperature, the slower the car. When the air temperature reaches 35 degrees Celsius, it takes the car around five seconds to speed up. When the air temperature is up to 20 degrees Celsius it is not so visible, up to 25 it is bearable, but when the air temperature is over 25 it gets rapidly worse and when it reaches 35 degrees Celsius, it is impossible to drive the car safely in the city.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts