Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 Rondo has that awful horn, no kidding it sounds like a cheap import scooter. After some quick research it appears that some older Cadillac's had a loud 4 note electric horn. My question is - do you know the location of the current horn or horns? Secondly, has anyone fitted the 4 horn Cadillac or an equally loud setup to a Rondo. I'm thinking of taking the trek out to the wreckers to see if I can locate a 4 horn assembly. and would appreciate input from those who have performed a similar modification.

Thanks

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,540 Posts
when I had my '08 Rondo the horn was just behind the front grille attached with a bracket to the rad or you could just stand at the front and get someone to blow the horn you'll soon know where it is.
I was thinking of changing it and my dealer just said to watch the voltage, but never got around to it.

·
Banned
79 Posts
I would imagine that the horn would just be 12 volt like any other accessory wouldn't it be? Unless the voltage is broken down somewhere along the line by a fuse or relay etc?

I agree, the new horns they put on cars these days sucks, most times I swear when I hear someone's horn going off beside or behind me, that I've cut off someone on a Vespa and not seen them in my blind spot etc lol!!! I had an 84' Cadillac and the horn on that thing was awesome! Scares the crap out of people actually! lol I wonder if this is some kind of global agreement to reduce excess noise pollution by reducing the db of car horns on any new car manufactured or something? I agree though, it should be much louder than it is. I don't use my horn very often, but when I do, it is for a very good reason, usually someone moving over into my lane and not seeing me in their blind spot etc, and I'm honking because if they keep moving over they're going to hit my car! So it would be nice to have something a little louder for situations like this.

If you pull the horn that's on the car out now, it might even be printed on the horn the voltage etc right on the part? And if not, you can check the owners manual, and see what size fuse in the fuse panel runs the horn section, and that might be an indicator as to what voltage that horn is running. I know though, that from previous experience working in parts departments for fork lift companies, and ordering parts for mechanics etc, that horns come in many different voltages. I used to order horns in 12V, 24V, 36V, 48V etc, and some forklifts at least were very sensitive to voltages, in fact, there was one forklift model that if the wrong voltage horn was installed, it would blow the main computer/brain of the engine/electric system, and that part was like over $2000!!! lol so not something you want to mess with too much when other parts are that sensitive to voltages etc.

If anyone does this mod before I do, or gets that horn out and figures out the voltage etc, please let us all know, cause I wouldn't mind swapping mine out for a louder horn as well.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
ask the parts guy at the dealership, I think its 12v, however, the horn on my Soul is far louder than the one I had on the Rondo, I was going to change it now not too sure.
If I had kept the Rondo I would have changed that one, more for the tone as well as the loudness, but not sure how it compared to the new Rondo's whether that was changed at any time. I'll have to check out the sound of the 2014 model when it comes out.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium 5-door, *old* 2009 Kia Rondo LX 4cyl 2.4L
492 Posts
Hahaha, I know what you mean YVR, when I first got my Rondo, I couldn't stand how wimpy the horn sounded. I guess I just haven't used the horn enough to care about changing it out.

Heck, you could always go the redneck way and hook up an air horn or one that play's "Dixie"! :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Re the horn - here's the latest.

Sunday was a pleasant day so out to the wreckers looking for a Cadillac 4 horn assembly. Lesson number 1 - horns are no where to be seen these days. Unless the front headlights and bumper are removed you can pretty well forget finding them on any North American car. On the 7 Caddy's I looked at horns were impossible to locate or even see. I checked Chrysler and Ford cars but came back to the GM products those being ones someone had removed the bumper and exposed the horns. The newer GM products are equipped with Fiamm horns, but I noticed an Impala that was a little older and it had dual "Klaxon" horns made in France. Now just the name Klaxon and the fact it looked a little larger sealed the deal.

Back home I removed the little plastic screws that retain the upper air dam from the grill to the rad, plus a couple of grill screws. The horn is located right in front of the AC condenser. With a slight pull on the grill that darn scooter horn was accessible. There's a vertical support and it's constructed to allow the attachment of two horns. I was able to reuse a Kia bracket for one, and a small amount of modification to the GM bracket, allowed me to mount the second Klaxon. I had cut the wiring harness close to the original beeper and used wire connectors to hook up the GM harness. I'm not worried about the 15 amp fuse as the Kia harness is heavier gauge wire than the Impala's.

The bottom line is: "WOW does it sound good".

·
Banned
79 Posts
I too don't use my horn very often at all, but ended up having to use it today and, very disappointed to say the least! lol!!! It sucks, sounds like a scooter horn, not loud, wimpy sounding etc, and mine is a 2012. So yes, definitely would like to swap it out eventually with something more, substantial lol!

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
I drove the 2014 Rondo yesterday and the horn sounds great - no more "beep" has a nice tone. Wonder if it will fit the older models?

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
I drove the 2014 Rondo yesterday and the horn sounds great - no more "beep" has a nice tone. Wonder if it will fit the older models?
Only if it was available in USA...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts