Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Cee'd 5 door
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching some videos the other day of the new Cee'd Gt's and caught a few seconds of the TFT display. Looked like it had a digital MPH and some other interesting options. My 2012 has the TFT display but what I am wondering is if I could have mine reprogramed like the new GT? Not even sure where I would start to find out (definately not the local dealer, they would be clueless!) if it was possiable. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
I was watching some videos the other day of the new Cee'd Gt's and caught a few seconds of the TFT display. Looked like it had a digital MPH and some other interesting options. My 2012 has the TFT display but what I am wondering is if I could have mine reprogramed like the new GT?
Dashboard displays are usually designed to display specific things, like an appliance; not like monitors or TVs that can display anything. The new display is likely to have more elements.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Cee'd 5 door
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dashboard displays are usually designed to display specific things, like an appliance; not like monitors or TVs that can display anything. The new display is likely to have more elements.
The dash of the new GT looks exactly like mine, so chances are it has the TFT display like mine. A couple of the screens looked like mine in the video, but a couple of them looked different like the one with the digital MPH at the top. A TFT display is a monitor/TV, see:
TFT LCD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
so all that is needed is a "reprogram" of the display. The question becomes how. Would a chip need to be replaced or a ROM reflashed? Would it be something a dealer could do; hook the diagnostic system to the car and change the display setting through a software update?
When I first received my car and realized what the display was I started thinking it would be cool to display other data on the display. This is something along the same line but should be much easier to acomplish, if I can find a way.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Would love to have some more features in mine too.
The best ones would be;

1. Digital speedo
2. A more detailed fuel consumption
3. Possibility for km/l instead of l/100km
4. Navigation instructions
5. Bluetooth/music info and so on.

·
Registered
Ceed 1.6crdi ('07)
648 Posts
The dash of the new GT looks exactly like mine, so chances are it has the TFT display like mine.
A TFT display is a monitor/TV, see:
TFT LCD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I still reckon TFT describes the technology not the application.

Whatever, it seems unlikely that sort of intellectual property would be given away. Even if it has been up their sleeves for some time, car manufacturers always release stuff to market slowly to try to keep the desire for new cars alive.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Cee'd 5 door
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While replying in another thread about gauges I think I hit upon the answer. I just need to buy the gauge cluster for the new GT. It looks the same so it should fit physically. If the connector on the back is the same as my current gauge cluster I can connect it and see what happens.

·
Registered
Kia Cee'd SW 1.4 CRDi TX 2013
1 Posts
Supervision Display

While replying in another thread about gauges I think I hit upon the answer. I just need to buy the gauge cluster for the new GT. It looks the same so it should fit physically. If the connector on the back is the same as my current gauge cluster I can connect it and see what happens.
Hi roadbug!
Can you update us of your attempt?

I also like to know if it would be possible to program the display... However, there may be conflicts because the button that activates the mode of "performance" (GT) is unique to the GT version, while in other versions of the Cee'd, the same button is used to change the functions of the "Flex Steer".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts