Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test drove a 2018 Sorento yesterday. I'm thinking seriously about buying it but had a concern because at the end of the test drive you could smell a strong, electrical burning type odor outside when we were done with the test drive. Seemed like it may have been coming from the rear of the car / the rear brakes. Our test drive wasn't too long, maybe 6 miles total but we got it up to highway speeds along with a few brakes. The dealer let us take the car by ourselves so they weren't with us when we noticed this. I didn't bother asking them about it because no matter what I was fairly sure their response would be that's normal, just stuff burning off the first time things get hot. So.........my question is is this normal for a Sorento?

This is our second Sorento and we didn't notice anything like it when we bought our first one a couple of years ago, but things may have changed or someone else may have test drove it previously to git rid of this first. On the other hand I did do some searching and in some cases this is an indication of something wrong even in a new car.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay. Thanks. I think I'll take it for another drive and see if it's still doing it. Yes there's the warranty, but it's always a pain in the butt to have to take the vehicle in and everything that's associated with that.

·
Registered
462 Posts
If it has "zero" miles on it, it could be the exhaust system burning off assembly oils and fluids.
The smell should go away quickly after a few drives.

·
Registered
826 Posts
If you drove it with pretty much 0 miles off the lot, then its the exhaust and some brake pads bedding in and the residue burning off as well as the exhaust CAT system priming up burning off the residual chemicals. Next drive should be fine.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just noticed the same thing tonight on the new Sportage I bought on Saturday. I initially thought it might be an engine bay dressing cooking off (a dealer once covered my engine bay in a shiny oil slick because "shiny"), but nothing was used on mine thankfully.

My smell was coming through the a.c. vents whenever I would slow down or stop at a traffic light after I had a 10-15 run at 70mph. It smelled like burning plastic or electrical wiring.

So far, no visible smoke and no Indicator lights.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Very normal. I can tell when a customer really gives it when they go on a test drive cause of those smells on brand spanking new cars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts