Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sedona SX-L, 2015 Lexus LS460
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lucked out and stopped by a Honda dealer right after their demo Odyssey was delivered and got to spend some time with it and take it for a drive. Didn't get to spend a whole lot of time with it (there was literally a line to drive it), but did want to post my thoughts relative to the Sedona which I have and compared to the Pacifica which I am considering.

The one I drove was an EX-L with navigation and rear seat entertainment. So this model has radar cruise, lane keep, blind spot monitoring, navigation, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, leather seats, heated seats but lacks cooled seats, the vacuum, kick operated hatch and doors, LED headlights, which are available spread throughout the upper two trims, Touring and Elite. Its 99% an SX-L Sedona (lacks cooled seats and HID headlights). Sticker was $40,500 which I thought was very reasonable.

Styling:

Van is better looking in person, doesn't look as "weird" as it did in some pictures. Good paint quality and build quality which you would expect. I would say better looking than the Pacifica, not as good looking as the Sedona. So, 1. Sedona, 2. Odyssey, 3. Pacifica.

Interior:

Overall finish is not to the level of the Sedona, but comparable to the Pacifica. The Sedona has better materials, better leathers, gloss trim where there is plastic trim in the Odyssey. The Odyssey is more utilitarian than both. Comfort is very good, seats are excellent. Instrumentation is all digital, no analog speedo or tach which I don't prefer but my wife will like. Honda's infotainment system is EXCELLENT. Very snappy, great touchscreen and smooth sliding access to apps. Huge upgrade from the Sedona, significant upgrade from the Pacifica. Honda uses Garmin nav too now but the interface is different than Chryslers. This model didn't have CabinWatch or CabinTalk to test. The magic slide seat is great, getting into the rear is still a little annoying, but vastly improved over the Sedona. Third row seats stow much more elegantly and smoothly than in the Sedona. No stow and go in the second row like the Pacifica, isn't an issue for us but could be for others.

It has a ton of little cubbies and storage, USB ports everywhere. Onboard WiFi where passengers can control HVAC and infotainment and rear seat entertainment from their phones. Very cool. The rear seat entertainment will simply mirror an iPhone or iPad which is ideal for us. Big spot in the console for my wife's purse like the Pacifica.

The interior, while not as "luxurious" as the Sedona for sure, is more practical and utilitarian. Big upgrade from the old Odyssey. Lack of rear seat entertainment is almost a disqualified for the Sedona nowadays. As a "quality car" I would rate the interiors 1. Sedona, 2. Pacifica, 3. Odyssey, but from a utility standpoint as "a van" I would rate them 1. Odyssey, 2. Pacifica, 3. Sedona.

Ride and Drive:

Was really impressed with the ride and drive. I would say it rides better and is slightly quieter than the Pacifica, which is considerably better riding and quieter than the Sedona. Body motions are controlled, and 18" wheels have good sidewall hight and deliver a great ride. Very quiet, no wind or road noise, on the highway briefly up to 75, I would say it was pretty darn close to as quiet as my Lexus. HUGE upgrade over the Sedona in this department, and it will be a much more comfortable and enjoyable to drive vehicle on trips. Has a brake hold feature like the Lexus which I love (vehicle will hold the brake at a stoplight so you don't have to leave your foot on it, feature is absent in the Sedona and Pacifica.

Honda puts the BSM indicators inside the cabin as opposed to on the mirrors, which is where I've always had them which is a huge adjustment for us.

Overall, very impressed and all things being equal, I would certainly choose the Odyssey over the Pacifica or Odyssey. However...the real test will be deals. Like I said, there was a line to drive this van. They got three in right after I left, another EX-L, a Touring, and an Elite, I'm sure all will be gone. We have time, so we'll see what the landscape looks like in 9 months. I'd pay some extra for the Odyssey over the Pacifica, but as to how much I don't know. Would I buy another Sedona with these two competitors? Probably not honestly. Its been a great vehicle, but it lacks some convenience areas for us which I've mentioned the big one is third row seat access, rear seat entertainment and as a vehicle ride comfort and sound isolation.

Toyota...DOA...why in the world they chose to refresh the Sienna vs an all new Sienna is beyond me. We don't plan on even test driving a Sienna.

·
Registered
2007 Sedona EX
27 Posts
Second Row fixed?

Did Honda improve the second row legroom? I drive with my seat all the way back so I always check to see how much room is left over in the second row. I disqualified the previous Odyssey because my knees touched the back of the drivers seat. Only Kia and Toyota have enough second row space.

My dad's Caravan has just enough space but only because the stow and go seats are so steep that your legs are bent at an uncomfortable 120 degrees or so. Not sure about the Pacifica but I would expect it to feel like the Caravan. The Nissan Quest failed both in knees touching and bent knees with its super low seating.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, legroom is the second row is much better, that was an issue for us in the previous Odyssey also. Seats are more adjustable back and forth.

Yeah the stow-n-go seats are nowhere near as comfortable, but for us they have carseats installed in them all the time anyways.

·
Registered
'16 Sedona SX, '09 Genesis
150 Posts
The trend toward touchscreen control is a bad one IMHO. I requires the driver to take eyes off the road to see where to hit on the screen, as there are nothing tactile to key off of by touch. At least with the old dials and buttons, you can memorize them and operate by feel. I much prefer the wheel/knob controller like on my Genesis. It falls right under my right hand when rested on the arm rest - instead of the long stretch out to where most touchscreens are. With a wheel/knob, the need to look at the screen is minimized.

Hopefully, Kia sees the light to offer a wheel/knob on higher trims or in an optional package. At least it'll be relatively easy to implement it on the SUV-type center console. On an old-fashion minivan style center console (Oddyssey, Pacifica, Sienna), it'd be next to impossible to position a wheel/knob within easy reach.

As is, none of the minivan touchscreens - Sedona included - are what I would call ergonomically excellent.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I too prefer a remote type control

·
Registered
2015 Sedona
11 Posts
I'll be in the market as either an end of model year 18 bargain shopper or a 19 if the deals aren't happening. My 2015 Sedona has been a disappointment, not because of the vehicle but because of the dealer. The 15 is a first year makeover and I should have known better. But the Sedona looked better than any of the competitors for features, style and price. The cooling seats are awesome. BUT, a first year vehicle is going to have glitches and the dealer is 40 miles away. Additionally, the dealer is really good at oil changes and tire rotations and that's about it. Battery died at 1 yr, under warranty, I jumped it and took it to the dealer who said they couldn't test the battery because I had started the van. So, 40 miles back home for the inevitable failure the next day, called the wrecker, etc, etc. Overnight at the dealer, and yep the battery was dead and they replaced it. Now I had to hook a ride with my neighbor to fetch my van. No customer service. Latest is the passenger side power door won't latch, $600 part plus labor. This after $400 door controller did not fix the problem. Looks like the dealer throws my money at problems without knowing how to properly diagnose. Had the van been more dependable like my previous 6 Odysseys, I'd be happy with the van, but 80 mile round trips for all the glitches is getting annoying. Other glitches:
Power mirrors failure, wheel well liner fell off. Probably back to Honda.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is your Sedona out of warranty already? Not sure why they would have covered the battery but not the passenger side power door latch. That should have been covered under warranty.

Not sure that a dead battery and a bad door latch constitute "not dependable". Odysseys have a notorious sliding door issue that impacted several Odyssey owners I know.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sedona SXL
6 Posts
My only advice is to avoid the 9 speed Odyssey or Pacifica.

I own a 2015 Jeep Cherokee with that same ZF 9 speed transmission. I cannot emphasize how terrible it is in daily use. On a test drive they seem fine. They have finally smoothed most of the shifts on the new Pacificas and Hondas compared to the earlier versions in 14-16 FCA and Acura products. And it won't seem that bad on a casual 15min test drive. Seems smooth enough when putting around.

But even with the added refinement, the transmission is very unresponsive and still offers hard and odd feeling shifts fairly frequently. Give the throttle a poke and nothing happens. More poke and it still hesitates and maybe gives you one gear down. Stomp it in frustration and then it triple downshifts and races to redline. Then when you let off the gas it will hang in that low gear for excessive time before bumping back up to 7th or 8th, one, gear, at a time. It won't double or triple shift up for some reason. My Cherokee is an otherwise good vehicle, I love the same tech that makes the Pacifica so nice. But that 9 speed completely ruins any car it is placed in.

If I was looking at those vans, I would only consider the Pacifica Hybrid (has a unique 4spd/CVT) or the 10 speed Odyssey.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its actually not the same transmission, the one used in the Pacifica and Odyssey (which are also slightly different from each other) are transverse applications because those vehicles are FWD, whereas in your Grand Cherokee its a longitudinal orientation, similar but not exactly the same. I had a 2014 Grand Cherokee so I know exactly what you're talking about and know what to look for in a test drive, the Pacifica did not exhibit any of that same irrational shift patterning that the unit in the JGC does, nor did the 9 speed Odyssey I drove. Both shifted great, and were much more willing to downshift...I ran the Pacifica pretty hard and thought the transmission was a huge improvement over that JGC application, and the transmission in my Sedona which I also hate.

If you read reviews of the Pacifica they specifically address this comparing to other FCA adaptations of the ZF 9 speed and say the same thing I did.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah good catch...the reviews of the Pacifica though do contrast it to the 9 speed in the Cherokee though.

One big issue with the Odyssey I've uncovered, is I don't think there is a surround view camera. If not that would disqualify it for my wife.

·
Registered
2017 Sedona SX
3 Posts
Correct, there is no surround view camera offered in the Odyssey. Unfortunate that they overlooked that during the redesign. The best you get is a toggle between wide vs. narrow angle views.
2 out of the 3 Odysseys I saw had issues with the gaskets/seals around the side windows. It seems as though they took a gasket that was just a few mm too short and tried to stretch it to fit the window. Consequently, there are areas where the gasket does not sit flush in the corner, and pulls slightly away from the corner.
The Odyssey I test drove had poor sound quality when I called a friend on Bluetooth (even while the car was stationary). His Acura TSX and MDX have had the same issue. The driver can hear clearly, but the other person can not. I'd say it's a 4/10.

·
Registered
16 Sedona SXL
52 Posts
I ended up buying a Sedona but actually delayed my purchase a few months so we can check out the new Ody. It was nice, but did not overly impress us compared to the Sedona. Some of my impression between the 2 vehicles:

- the new Honda 10 speed was impressive, more so than the old KIA 6 speed, but you have to spring for the expensive Touring and Elite trims to get it.

- Sedona has the nicer interior, but the Honda is more versatile if you want to carry more people or cargo. The second row lounge seats in my Sedona SXL can't be beat, but it also means I can't carry 8 people, and the seat doesn't come out so I can't haul large items. For my family, typical load is 2 kids and usually 2 or 3 adults, sometimes 4 adults, and 2 kids + 3 adults travel in greater comfort and luxury in the Sedona.

- I was actually quite impressed with the infotainment system and navigation in the Sedona, including the very useful multi-info display in the main instrument cluster. I like traditional speedo/tach gauges, and didn't really like the Honda's all digital cluster. After a (not so quick) update, the 3D view in navi and Android Auto/Apple Carplay both work really well.

- Rear entertainment options are obviously much nicer on the Honda, although it wasn't a big deal to us.

- You can get a 360 camera in the Sedona. Not a huge deal to me. I think the rear camera plus the front/rear parking sensors are good enough. HOWEVER, note that in the Honda, not only do you not have the 360 camera as an option, the rear camera quality is ATROCIOUS. We tested all the minivans, and both the Ody and Sienna had atrocious cameras. Sedona and Pacifica have okay cameras. The shocking thing is that the Ody is all new for 18 and the camera is still crap.

- Price is going to be different of course. If you want all the bells and whistles, the Sedona SXL is fairly comparable to the very top of the line Ody Elite, minus the rear entertainment system, but the Sedona is easily 5k cheaper than the newly redesigned Odyssey.

- Last but not least, this could be a DEAL BREAKER for anyone who's never bought a big car like a van (like me), and who also have single entry garage doors (like me). I was fully prepared to get a new mid trim Ody EX-L if I couldn't get a good price on the Sedona. Then I got a decent price on a leftover Sedona, drove it home, and realized it would be near impossible to get into my garage unless I fold the side mirrors. Not a problem with my Sedona, or most Sedonas for that matter, since power fold mirrors are standard starting at the LX level. BUT had I gotten that Ody EX-L, I would have been s*!* outta luck once I got home. I'd be forced to manually fold the driver mirror through the front side window and carefully crawl into the garage every single day trying not to scrape the other mirror. In the Odyssey, you have to buy the 47k top of the line Elite trim to get power fold mirrors. It's not even an option for the lower trim levels, not even the 44k Touring! I have no idea why Honda decided to do that, since tons of people have single garage doors and most of these doors are too narrow for a minivan to pull through without folding the mirrors.

·
Registered
'16 Sedona SX, '09 Genesis
150 Posts
- Rear entertainment options are obviously much nicer on the Honda, although it wasn't a big deal to us.
There are very few factory RES that aren't woefully behind the tech curve, much less worth the price. My old 2014 T&C was actually one of the best I've had, as it had two screens and actually played bluray disc! Even then, the screens were small and not really in the right place for any of the rear seats. And kids were always fighting over who gets to choose the movie.

I'm actually glad Kia doesn't seem to package RES into too many Sedonas.

I ended up getting this 10.1" 1080P headrest DVD player 10.1" 1080P headrest DVD player for each of my kids. I load each with a 64GB SD card that can holds 50-60 full-length movies (SD ripped from DVDs, or HD from blurays). They can watch their own movies, pause/stop/change any time they want without pissing off the other kids. For us... no more fumbling with discs and jewel boxes in the dark. 3 sets totaled just over $400. Best yet... I can move them to my other cars, or even rental, if necessary.

·
Registered
2017 Sedona LX+
107 Posts
Yes, one of the most under rated features of the Sedona are the power folding mirrors; I've lost count the number of times I've used this feature to squeeze into places or to let me have more room. I think it's a shame other minivan's don't offer this as standard on even their base models (like how backup cameras are becoming a default feature on larger vehicles).

On the RES - it's a non-issue nowadays given the options for portable media. A $50 android tablet loaded with videos and games for each passenger is still significantly cheaper than some of the latest and greatest car entertainment systems. It's especially true if you get a mobile hotspot and each tablet has internet connection!

·
Registered
2016 SXL 8-pass.Tech; 2015 Tacoma
49 Posts
Yes, one of the most under rated features of the Sedona are the power folding mirrors; I've lost count the number of times I've used this feature to squeeze into places or to let me have more room. I think it's a shame other minivan's don't offer this as standard on even their base models (like how backup cameras are becoming a default feature on larger vehicles).

On the RES - it's a non-issue nowadays given the options for portable media. A $50 android tablet loaded with videos and games for each passenger is still significantly cheaper than some of the latest and greatest car entertainment systems. It's especially true if you get a mobile hotspot and each tablet has internet connection!
Agreed. The power fold mirrors make it easier to fit between the van and my truck when both are parked inside the garage. Plus, they are a good visual confirmation that your remote start worked!

Also agree on the absurdity of paying thousands for in-car entertainment systems. You can get a mobile whatever you want for so much less. We just have a $39 Kindle Fire for each kid. (Only on very long trips, because we're old fashioned and mean and make them, like, talk and look out the window and stuff.)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
- You can get a 360 camera in the Sedona. Not a huge deal to me. I think the rear camera plus the front/rear parking sensors are good enough. HOWEVER, note that in the Honda, not only do you not have the 360 camera as an option, the rear camera quality is ATROCIOUS. We tested all the minivans, and both the Ody and Sienna had atrocious cameras. Sedona and Pacifica have okay cameras. The shocking thing is that the Ody is all new for 18 and the camera is still crap.
This is what has crossed the Odyssey off of our list. The 360 camera is a must have for my wife, she's used to it and uses it all the time, and refuses to drive another van without it, so the Odyssey is out. In any event, no negotiating room on the Odysseys, in fact some local dealers are charging $1000 over sticker. That destroys the lease. I prefer the Odyssey, but I'm not paying $200-250 more a month than a loaded Pacifica.

Pacifica it will be.

As for RES and tech, the Odyssey has some pretty awesome in vehicle and RES tech. I personally would rather have a built in solutions vs tablets (which s what we use now

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is what has crossed the Odyssey off of our list. The 360 camera is a must have for my wife, she's used to it and uses it all the time, and refuses to drive another van without it, so the Odyssey is out. In any event, no negotiating room on the Odysseys, in fact some local dealers are charging $1000 over sticker. That destroys the lease. I prefer the Odyssey, but I'm not paying $200-250 more a month than a loaded Pacifica.

Pacifica it will be.

As for RES and tech, the Odyssey has some pretty awesome in vehicle and RES tech. I personally would rather have a built in solutions vs tablets (which s what we use now
Did you end up getting the Pacifica? I used to have a 2015 Sedona SX. The car was so plagued with problems that we ended up selling it in July even though it had just 18,000 miles on it or so (I've never traded any car in anywhere near that early - it was that bad). Got a Pacifica Limited 8 passenger (so no sunroof), with the UConnect package, 360 camera, etc. It is a superior vehicle in so many ways (even ignoring the problems my Kia had).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Curious as to what problems your 2015 SX was plagued with? Besides our rear doors, we haven't had any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you end up getting the Pacifica? I used to have a 2015 Sedona SX. The car was so plagued with problems that we ended up selling it in July even though it had just 18,000 miles on it or so (I've never traded any car in anywhere near that early - it was that bad). Got a Pacifica Limited 8 passenger (so no sunroof), with the UConnect package, 360 camera, etc. It is a superior vehicle in so many ways (even ignoring the problems my Kia had).
No, not yet. Got busy with work and summer travel and it just got away from me.

Also interested in what sort of issues you had with the Sedona, ours has been quite good.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts