Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I'm looking at a 2011 EX Luxury w/Nav to replace my tiny and aging '06 Rio. We have a toddler so it's hard for us both to go test drive so the dealer suggested I borrow the car for 24 hours so I can take it home and we can tag team test driving it around the city. I picked him up on the offer and it's sitting in the parking work right now (I'm still at work).

I was hoping for some advice though. Is there anything in particular I should look for? Any known issues, quirks or other things that I should check out while I have it? We have one kid (1 yr), and will probably have another one within 2 years. We also have a medium sized dog. We don't drive tons, usually to and from in-laws (5 minutes) or stores, downtown, etc (10-15 minutes). We might start doing road vacations in a few years, but right now the kid(s) are too young. We're looking to keep the car for at least 5 years, probably close to 10.

It's fully loaded and it's the interior is really nice. I find that the steering wheel is a bit "floaty" though, and I'm not a fan of driving SUVs in general (I don't like sitting up high, prefer smaller cars). Other than that I haven't really found anything I don't like about it. The leather, cooled seats, and rearview camera is really nice for sure. Nav unit is nice, but not necessary as my phone has that already for free.

So uh... Any advice for stuff I should check out?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX
101 Posts
One thing I've never really adjusted to that I thought I would get used to by now was the blind spots created by the thick interior frames that divide the windshield and drivers/passengers windows. I remember test driving it and thinking "Wow, these things are really thick!"
I assumed I would get used to it, but I still find myself getting frustrated with looking around it because in an intersection it is big enough for a car/ person to be hiding behind it.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
One thing I've never really adjusted to that I thought I would get used to by now was the blind spots created by the thick interior frames that divide the windshield and drivers/passengers windows. I remember test driving it and thinking "Wow, these things are really thick!"
I assumed I would get used to it, but I still find myself getting frustrated with looking around it because in an intersection it is big enough for a car/ person to be hiding behind it.
I agree! Because the Sportage windshield is so raked back, and there's no side vent windows anymore :rolleyes: The pillars are thick, and most unsettling to see past at times. :(

You might want to change the horn to a (reasonable) Fiam red twin horn type, heaven forbid if you really need to be heard to wake up a dreamer, because not only is the single horn not loud enough, it'a a dull monotone. There are threads here describing how to do this.

Another Item I suggest is stick on side window vent visors, to keep the rain off your door speakers, & door switch panels.

One more item I suggest is an upper windshield window tint, the sun is worst here because of the steeply raked winshield, and maybe darker matching front side window tint, my used 2011 Sporty came with all of these, and they're great!

One last thing I sugggest is a Good set of wiper blades, O.E. ones stink!

·
Registered
967 Posts
Yes, the steering is 'floaty' on the Interstate but only a little, resulting in not much of a center feel, or causing you to make constant adjustments. I'm used to this and peering around the A pillars when turning. Before evaluating the ride, which is taut, check the tires when cold and make sure they are not over 33 which is the recommendation. The Sportage is a snappy-handling vehicle and the LX engine has adequate power I'm 5'-8" and I still bump my head sometimes when getting in and out. The Sportage is a little 'edgier' than the Tuscon which is why I like it. Do not expect the mileage estimate - I get from 23-26mpg in combination driving. It is possible to get 31 highway - at 60mph, no AC, windows closed, flat terrain, few stops, etc. But since that is not a real-world scenario, don't expect to get it. As with any used car, look it over. Look under for leaks. Do the Car Fax and look for body work-repainting clues. I haven't had any real problems with mine and I remain quite satisfied with it.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Hi everyone!

It's fully loaded and it's the interior is really nice. I find that the steering wheel is a bit "floaty" though, and I'm not a fan of driving SUVs in general (I don't like sitting up high, prefer smaller cars). Other than that I haven't really found anything I don't like about it. The leather, cooled seats, and rearview camera is really nice for sure. Nav unit is nice, but not necessary as my phone has that already for free.

So uh... Any advice for stuff I should check out?
Once you go SUV, you won't go back! LOL,,,er! maybe :rolleyes:
I like the commanding view of the road, the ride height for winter weather, and the fact that you really don't bend down to get in, you just sorta crouch a bit then slide in :cool:

The steering is not "floaty" IMO, it is super sensetive, if you're riding a long straight freeway for miles, you won't have to move your hands much, if at all, but if the road becomes banked a bit, or if you have an uneven load in the vehicle you only hafta move it a bit to adjust. It follows the road exactly how you steer it.

By the way, be careful of the o.e. tires in the winter, they're not too good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback everyone! Highly appreciated. I did end up buying the vehicle and both me and my wife are very excited to pick it up tomorrow.

The blind spots didn't bother me too much, but my wife made this remark as well when she was driving it. I usually rely on the side mirrors and have them set so I only need to do a slight look to the left and I'll know if someone is there or not. She usually don't use side mirrors so she does a full head turn and ended up looking straight at the beam and the headrest :rolleyes: It's a bit of an adjustment, but she'll get used to it.

I agree! Because the Sportage windshield is so raked back, and there's no side vent windows anymore. The pillars are thick, and most unsettling to see past at times.

You might want to change the horn to a (reasonable) Fiam red twin horn type, heaven forbid if you really need to be heard to wake up a dreamer, because not only is the single horn not loud enough, it'a a dull monotone. There are threads here describing how to do this.

Another Item I suggest is stick on side window vent visors, to keep the rain off your door speakers, & door switch panels.

One more item I suggest is an upper windshield window tint, the sun is worst here because of the steeply raked winshield, and maybe darker matching front side window tint, my used 2011 Sporty came with all of these, and they're great!

One last thing I sugggest is a Good set of wiper blades, O.E. ones stink!
Thanks for the tip on the horn. I never actually tried it so I don't know what it sounds like, but that's nice that I can change it if I want. I don't use it very often (and my wife never does) so it probably won't bother me.

The car already have the window visors, as well as hood deflector, chrome(ish) grill, side steps and remote start which was all pretty nice. We don't roll down our windows very often, but I guess there is the occational drive-through and stuff so it's nice that it's already there.

I'll check on the window tint. I can't recall if it has it already, so I may want to do that. There's a lot of sun here, even in winter, so that might be nice to have.

Yes, the steering is 'floaty' on the Interstate but only a little, resulting in not much of a center feel, or causing you to make constant adjustments. I'm used to this and peering around the A pillars when turning. Before evaluating the ride, which is taut, check the tires when cold and make sure they are not over 33 which is the recommendation. The Sportage is a snappy-handling vehicle and the LX engine has adequate power I'm 5'-8" and I still bump my head sometimes when getting in and out. The Sportage is a little 'edgier' than the Tuscon which is why I like it. Do not expect the mileage estimate - I get from 23-26mpg in combination driving. It is possible to get 31 highway - at 60mph, no AC, windows closed, flat terrain, few stops, etc. But since that is not a real-world scenario, don't expect to get it. As with any used car, look it over. Look under for leaks. Do the Car Fax and look for body work-repainting clues. I haven't had any real problems with mine and I remain quite satisfied with it.
I like the commanding view of the road, the ride height for winter weather, and the fact that you really don't bend down to get in, you just sorta crouch a bit then slide in :cool:

The steering is not "floaty" IMO, it is super sensetive, if you're riding a long straight freeway for miles, you won't have to move your hands much, if at all, but if the road becomes banked a bit, or if you have an uneven load in the vehicle you only hafta move it a bit to adjust. It follows the road exactly how you steer it.

By the way, be careful of the o.e. tires in the winter, they're not too good.
Yeah maybe precise is the correct word, and not floaty. I think it's just a matter of getting used to it though. It didn't bother my wife and she's the primary driver of the car. It's going to be nice to have an AWD as well. Last winter was pretty rough here with tons of snow and I'd feel better about her driving our kid around in a Sportage rather than a Mustang (or our Rio, which is what she would have been switching to).

There seems to be some peeling on the chrome, so I'm not sure what's up with that. Is there a plastic protective thing on there that maybe they never took off? I asked the sales to have the service department take a look at it, so I'll see what he says I guess.

As for the tires, it actually comes with Hankook RW11 i-Pike winter tires. Which is good and bad. It's good because I have winter tires and not just all-seasons, but it's bad because I have to go buy some new tires straight away.

I'm trying to figure out what's the cheapest way to get new tires and I'm trying to decide between Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus, Yokohama Avid Ascend, or Pirelli Scorpion Verde. The first two I'd have to get online and shipped, while the latter I can get at Canadian Tire. I'm trying to save some money which is why I was considering ordering online, but I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle. If anyone has any suggestions on tire choice and/or where to buy them, I'm all ears (I'm located in SK, Canada).

·
Registered
967 Posts
Yes, 'floaty' is not the right word to describe the steering. That might indicate unusual play in the steering which is not the case. In fact, it's the opposite effect - the steering is extremely sensitive at the center. The only time it bothers me is late at night coming home from a band gig with a cop behind every tree waiting for somebody weaving down the road. It's impossible to prevent some drifting in the lane, and it makes me feel like there's a big sign on the back of the car with 'arrest me' on it. It's entirely possible that a minor adjustment to the wheel alignment could alleviate some of it without causing increased tire wear. Something to ask the dealer or front-end shop.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX
101 Posts
I'm not necessarily talking about looking behind you. I'm talking about looking through them. The one that connects to the windshield. It shields mostly between 10-11 o'clock and 1-2 o'clock. I can't think of an exact example of this being irritating, but if I do I will repost.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I'm not necessarily talking about looking behind you. I'm talking about looking through them. The one that connects to the windshield. It shields mostly between 10-11 o'clock and 1-2 o'clock. I can't think of an exact example of this being irritating, but if I do I will repost.
Yes, we all get it doshcokyo.

In the community where I live, it's an angled uphill left turn like this /, to get in, and the left windshield post blocks any vision I have of the downhill lane :mad:

This gives me the "willys"! (expecting someone to come down the hill too fast, as usual, & broadside me every time,) as I'm blindsided! :eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ah! I get it now. And yeah, I know exactly what you mean. This happens to me all the time in our Mustang, and I expect it'll happen frequently in the Sportage as well.

This happens to me when there are cars coming on the right hand side of me. I'll be coming up to an intersection with a stop sign and poor visibility to the right (building, trees, etc), and somehow the car coming from the right direction has exact speed that once I'm past the building or whatever and I should see them the car stays behind the pillar even when I'm slowing down to stop. I'm all like "no cars there", do one of them "rolling stops" while I'm looking to the left and then notice that OH HEY THERE'S A CAR THERE when I'm halfway across the intersection.

If my wife is in the car there's usually some shouting happening.

Edit: Forgot to give an update on the car.

Bought some Bridgestone Dueler HL 422 Ecopia tires at Costco. Very nice tires, very reasonable price, and they're nice and quiet with good grip. Only tried on dry so far, but they're supposedly better than the Yokohamas I talked about earlier in most conditions.

The peeling chrome was actually some aftermarket chrome-ish stuff that was stuck on. We might take it off at some point.

The dealership forgot to fix two stone chips. We took it back yesterday and they fixed them free of charge (as they should). Much better now.

Wife LOVES the car. She never complained about taking our boy anywhere in the Mustang, but she keeps talking about how much easier it is for them to go places now. She loves the look of it, she loves the features and she loves the interior. It's the best 20 grand I ever spent.

Question: Where is a good place to buy OEM cloth(ishy) floor mats? For some reason this Sportage didn't come with them. I really don't like the local Kia dealership (thieves!!), so if anyone has tips for where to go online, please let me know. I wouldn't mind non-OEM ones either if they fit as well as OEMs do for a cheaper price. I kept my winter rubber ones from my old Rio and they fit reasonably well, but I'd like something nicer for summer time.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento LX AWD 2.4L w/ Convenience Package, 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander SE-AWC
573 Posts
I bought some "chrome" rain deflectors from carid.com. They have a good selection of accessories and I was satisfied with my service.

·
Registered
2015 Ford Mustang GT
209 Posts
Nope :p I plan on getting into a 2015 Mustang GT next if Ford doesn't mess it up. Then again, I am and always have been a sports car guy. I thought I was ready to tone it down with an SUV, but even the Sportage SX turbo just isn't nearly fun enough for me.

My biggest complaint is obviously the performance holdbacks, Kia really detuned this car, it is capable of a lot more acceleration than it actually gives you off the line.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts