Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just started having this problem today while driving home from work on the highway...cars temp gauge started going up as i accelerated, couple times got close to overheating but i managed to keep the temperature low but not normal by keeping the heater running....as i exited the highway and came to a stop the cars temperature slowly came back down to normal and sat right in the middle...so now ive noticed that when i accelerate from a dead stop the gauge seems to slowly move higher and higher to the hot position and as i come to a stop it regulates itself and stays there...any ideas on what might be causing this ?? im guessing thermostat? need to get this resolved so any input would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,805 Posts
how many miles on it?
it could be a couple of things
- thermostat (not opening enough)
- water pump (damage to rotor)
- slipping belt on water pump
- damaged/blocked fins on radiator
- wiring... unlikely, but possible

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,955 Posts
A plugged radiator would also cause what you are describing as would an electric radiator fan not running... The heater core is trying to take the place of the radiator transferring heat from the engine to the passenger compartment...
Have the fans checked and also the radiator (thermal sensing camera).
Dave

·
Registered
1996 Kia Sephia GS
120 Posts
My car did the exact same thing.

Going up a long incline one day the header blew.

(no power surge when pushing on gas so I pushed harder because I was slowing and POOOOOF I was a ninja shrouded in white smoke!)

Your fans are running?
Did a coolant flush to make sure its all clean and no blackages? (fairly quick to do)
oil and oil pressure are good?

My coolant system was good, no leaks and good pressure.

Thermostat was new and kept temps originally within 1 peg of the one the car came with.

Had a new water pump and belts.

I hope you get this figured out sorry I cant be of more help other than a heads up on you possibly blowing a head.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts