Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Sorento EX V6 ~130k miles. When it gets above 80 F outside and I need the air conditioning, I have trouble getting a robust air flow out of the vents intermittently. I have the dual mode auto controls. When it is cooler outside, the system seems to function normally.
1.) Blower works fine, fan increases and decreases, just have periodic very low air flow out of the vents
2.) When set to AC it gets cold, no issues with AC pump or refrigerant
3.) Mode control changes just fine
4.) The air flow problem is the same for both driver and passenger sides
5.) When in auto mode, I get warm air when the temp is increased and cold air when I turn it to low
6.) I ran the control panel diagnostic Kia Sorento: Heater & A/C Control Unit (DATC) Self Diagnosis - Controller - Heating,Ventilation And Air Conditioning - Kia Sorento XM 2011-2019 Service Manual and do not have any codes from the control panel

These symptoms seems to point to the temperature control actuator, but this unit also has several other acuators;
Kia Sorento: Heater - Heating,Ventilation And Air Conditioning - Kia Sorento XM 2011-2019 Service Manual

Anyone out there have similar problems as my unit and fixed it be replacing the temp control actuator?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you changed the cabin air filter?
Yes I have, and I did find a post describing that as an issue. Trying to narrow down which actuator is the problem. Seems there are several in this system. Thanks for the question.

·
Registered
169 Posts
So following your link above will take you to this page: http://www.ksmanual.com/temperature_control_actuator_inspection-1445.html ; which tells you how to test the Temperature Control Actuator. That same section also tells you how to test the other actuators too. Did you have the pressures tested for the AC? The high/low head pressure on the compressor? The system could be low. If the evap discharge temp is not low enough, the fan will slow down to try to keep the air cold. These type of automatic control systems are not made for forcing things on/off for testing and are hard to troubleshoot because of it. There are also a lot of sensors in that system too. My KIA has the manual controls so I can't really help you much except for what I read about the system controls. If you do not take it in for repair then about all you can do is start testing parts in the system to rule out what is good until you find something bad.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So following your link above will take you to this page: Kia Sorento: Temperature Control Actuator Inspection - Heater - Heating,Ventilation And Air Conditioning - Kia Sorento XM 2011-2019 Service Manual ; which tells you how to test the Temperature Control Actuator. That same section also tells you how to test the other actuators too. Did you have the pressures tested for the AC? The high/low head pressure on the compressor? The system could be low. If the evap discharge temp is not low enough, the fan will slow down to try to keep the air cold. These type of automatic control systems are not made for forcing things on/off for testing and are hard to troubleshoot because of it. There are also a lot of sensors in that system too. My KIA has the manual controls so I can't really help you much except for what I read about the system controls. If you do not take it in for repair then about all you can do is start testing parts in the system to rule out what is good until you find something bad.
Yeah, I did drill down to the test page. I was hoping to gain some feedback from others here before ripping into my dash. I have not pressure tested the AC because (1) when the system does work it blows frigid air, (2) when I have trouble, the fan spins up to the highest speed and the air is cold, but it acts like a flap is closed and no matter what mode I select the air flow is minimal, even with the fan raging on high. Cycling modes gains nothing. May need to bite the bullet and take it for full diagnosis of the whole system. Past experience tells me just the diagnosis could be $150.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
2 Participants
2012EXv6
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing