Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
02 Sedona 80k 500SL 34k 300SE 161k 300E
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious , on my 2002, those bizarre coolant pipes for rear heating, does coolant circulate all the time even in summer ? if it does seems like it could be an issue for unexpected leaks that would leave me stranded, don't need any heat back there, never used the rear system, not needed where I live, can it be bypassed with a short hose?
Thanks John

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,'11 Dodge Journey AWD,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,484 Posts
The short answer is YES to all question points you raise.

·
Registered
Sedona '02
155 Posts
Just curious , on my 2002, those bizarre coolant pipes for rear heating, does coolant circulate all the time even in summer ? if it does seems like it could be an issue for unexpected leaks that would leave me stranded, don't need any heat back there, never used the rear system, not needed where I live, can it be bypassed with a short hose?
Thanks John
Highly recommend replacing the pipes with generic coolant hoses (cheap). The pipes are in front and rear sections connected by short hose sections. They will leak if you live in the North salt region. Mine did, lost coolant within 5 min and almost killed engine due to overheating.

I replaced the pipe sections with the hoses with clamps. Some portions, you may need those brass hose connecting pipe thingy (short).

·
Registered
75 Posts
On my 2003 Sedona, which I no longer have, when my rearpipes corroded away I just bypassed them. If anyone was in the back they got cold, but you all know that wasn't the case. The heat from the front was excellent, at least on my Sedona and it soon percolated to the back.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona EX
76 Posts
This will be one of my next projects since I live in northern Illinois. Shouldn't be too difficult, but I did notice where the pipes are at along firewall. Intake plenum has to come off to get to the 'y' pipes where it branches them to both front heater core and the underneath ones to the rear heater.

I'll take pics when I can to show how it goes if need be. Maybe a video how to do it when I get started.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts