Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Kia Sorento XT 2.5 AWD
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've tried searching the forums but can't find anything that offers a specific solution to my problem. I have a 2007 Kia Sorento XT and when purchased the antenna was bent meaning it didn't retract properly. This has now continued and the metal has split. I have purchased a new aerial from an online retailer (Kia OEM part) after seeing online several methods of replacing it.

The methods all require the removal of the chrome nut at the base of the antenna (usually before pulling it out and feeding a new one back in). The issue is I cannot get this nut to come free. Its loose and seems to just turn endlessly. I've made sure I'm gripping the antenna itself so that it doesn't just spin, but not luck.

The nut is simply spinning and I must have turned it a hundred times. Must wondering if there are any suggestions on getting the nut free? (I've tried it with the antenna both up and down)

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
Kia Sorento, 2006, 2.5 ltr, CRDi XT, Diesel Auto
12 Posts
Wolfy175,

I assume you're replacing the whole aerial unit and not just the antenna part?

The only thing I can think to do is first of all drench the nut with a loosening fluid like plus gas or similar, then leave it overnight. The next morning remove the inner wing panel (the plastic lining of the wheel well) and see if you can get hold of the old aerial unit from below. It's held to the bulkhead by two screws or bolts, not sure which, but you should be able to undo them and loosen the whole unit so that you can move it around. Here's the bracket at the bottom of the unit that holds it to the bulkhead, and you can also see in this picture the three wire power connector you'll have to disconnect.

Once you've released the complete unit from the car bulkhead, wiggle it a little to see if the threaded tube the nut is attached to on the outside is still a part of the aerial unit. If it is try to see if you can separate the threaded tube from the rest of the aerial unit.

This is what the threaded tube looks like from underneath the wing.

As I said above, I assume you're changing the whole thing, and if that is the case then it doesn't matter if you break any parts of the aerial unit as you're replacing it all anyway, but obviously you don't want to damage the paintwork on your wing. To help prevent this put masking tape all around the aerial hole on the outside of the wing before doing any pulling or pushing.

The bit of the tube you're interested in is this bit.

The nut screws onto this threaded tube inside the black rubber cover you can see in the picture above. I would imagine that the tube is actually broken either inside the rubber cover, or a little lower, where the grey metal bit is, but wherever it's broken you should find that if you can remove the metal tip at the top of the antenna, then you should be able to pull the tube downwards from inside the wing and pull the broken bit upwards complete with nut, from outside.

Best of luck, and let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,447 Posts
Couple of things.
Gasoline is not friendly to paint.
It will evaporate quickly and the fumes could stay in your garage and cause a potential issue if a spark or flame is present in there.
Penetrating oil is great.
Worst case scenario is you remove the fender.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento, 2006, 2.5 ltr, CRDi XT, Diesel Auto
12 Posts
nstoolman1,

If you're thinking that I advised the OP to use gasoline, I didn't. Plus Gas is the brand name of a penetrating oil in the UK. Sorry if that caused confusion as I didn't think to put capitals on the name. There are others such as Easit, etc. I just happened to remember Plus Gas as the one we used when I worked in the motor trade.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,447 Posts
I stand corrected.
You would be surprised at what I have seen recommended and used to loosen a nut or bolt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts