Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't put gas in my 2001 sportage without it spilling out from filler tube (unless I go extremely slow). Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
2011 LX Sportage AWD Mineral/Silver; 2008 Suzuki Burgman 650
63 Posts
I have yet to find and answer to your question Mokybozo; however, there is an advantage for filling the tank slow on my 2011 Sportage. I can get 2 more gallons of gasoline in the tank if I fill it slowly.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I recall seeing that the Sportage fills to the specified capacity using the usual method. You can add extra by going slowly, but it's not a good idea.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recall reading some other forum that they had a bad filter on the vent side of the fuel lines. we got a 2002 Sportage for my wife last year and about 6 months later it developed this problem. I found a set of lines under the front hood left side that looked like vacuum lines going into a black plastic canister. I pulled the hose clamp loose on one side and pulled the line coming from the rear of the vehicle loose. Filled the tank as usual. I have taken to leaving the hose clamp up the line about 4 inches and can pull it off with out tools to fill-up. It was taking up to 15 min to fill but the aggravating part was spilling $4 gas, and not know if the last spill was because of the problem or fullness.

I was not able to find an after market replacement at Autozone, and haven't been able to get to a dealer or wrecking yard to find a part. At least with a brief peek under the hood, it now only takes a usual few minutes to fill, and similar peek to hook up the line.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts