Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Cerato/Forte Hatch SI
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love talking to Americans who visit Australia, I find them very friendly and anxious to learn our ways. I remember a couple of years ago talking to an elderly American couple who came out here on an Eco-Tour and they had just watched a game of cricket on TV. They were keen to learn about it and the they said to me "so, the pitcher, pitchers the ball to the hitter and it is caught by the catcher", I said "NO, NO, NO, in cricket the bowler, bowls the ball to the batsman and it is caught by the wicket keeper".:D

The american was fascinated and I spent almost an hour explaining the rules of cricket to him. He then said "I love it here you Ossies are very friendly".

I said "we are not Ossies we are Ozzies", he laughed and then pronounced it correctly.
I said to him "where are you going after here" and he said "to Melborrrnnne" and I said " Melbourne is pronounced, Melbin we clip the ends of the words, Brisbane is not Brisbaaaane, it is pronounced Brisbin"
We had a great time and I said to him when he and his wife left " I'll make you guys honary Aussies" he loved it.:D

Aussies are very layback and have a good sense of humour, we do not take ourselves seriously except when somebody comes here and tries to change our ways. Many a sticker on the back of cars say " Love it or Leave" with the picture of an Aussie flag.

Many of our sayings have foreigners scratching their heads, such as " how are you going" which means" is everything OK??" It doesn't mean what sort of transport am I using.:p

Anyrate cobbers, if anybody is interested in this Thread I will prattle on more about speaking good Oz!!!

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,912 Posts
You said "We had a great time and I said to him when he and his wife left " I'll make you guys honary Aussies" he loved it."...brings back memories of Pulsar86 who was a moderator here...He also chose the same avatar you did the blue Ozzieland with the flag. He made me an honorary "Mate". He was from Queensland by the shore. He was a kind and funny and a BRAVE man... I/We miss him.

Your posts brought back some wonderful/tearful memories. I hope you stay and bring some smiles to the world...
It's funny I feel a kinship with most Ozzies I have had contact with...They love their country and will fight for her and her freedoms... Almost like "home" here... We love the people of the world and wish only GOOD upon them.....and we will fight for their rights because we know how dear those rights are.

Please be careful and don't fall off ...."down under"...
Dave

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
OI!! Just because we are upside down on the world doesn't mean we will fall off!!!:D:D No, mate everything is "Cosher" here!! Glad another Aussie can make people be happy, after all isn't life too short to be angry!!!:D:D To be made an honorary Aussie/Mate is a big compliment by an Aussie to a person born overseas!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,912 Posts
OI ???
A Jewish Aussie? Nah.... can't be... got the "Kosher" wrong! :)
"after all isn't life too short to be angry!!" my feelings exactly...
But aren't you the ones "overseas"???
Both our countries were settled by the mis-fits of England...so...we must be kin!
Dave

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OI ???
A Jewish Aussie? Nah.... can't be... got the "Kosher" wrong! :)
"after all isn't life too short to be angry!!" my feelings exactly...
But aren't you the ones "overseas"???
Both our countries were settled by the mis-fits of England...so...we must be kin!
Dave
"Cosher" in the Oz lingo means "everything is good", as you might note it is spelt with a "C" not a "K".:D
You are right about misfits from the "Old Dart" we might be distant relations, ha ha.
The POMS (English) like to say " Don't go to Australia. it is full of Convicts"

But we get the last laugh, we say "Don't go to England, that's where the convicts came from"!!:harhar:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Crikey, this Thread died a natural death!!!:):) Ah, well that's how it goes!!!:D:D

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yoohoo, any body out there, There is an upside downer trying to teach good ol' fashion Oz!!:D

·
Super Moderator
6,912 Posts
OT...
I often wondered what you were "down under"??? :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts