Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio 5 EX, 1967 Chevy C10
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading from Southern Indiana up to just northwest of Chicago, about a 5 hour trip today. This is my first trip longer than an hour in my Rio and am looking forward to it. I'm really curious about the mileage I'll get and will update my mpg, my thoughts on the comfort of the car, and any little other thing that pops into my head on Monday.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio
85 Posts
I've been from Cleveland Ohio to E-town Kentucky before i had cruise control installed and it sucked. The seat felt like a brick after 2hrs and only averaged 33mpg. Next trip from Cleveland was to Detroit and that was a little better seat still felt hard and got about 36mpg.

Friday I drove to New York and seats felt fine. Mostly because i now have CC so i didn't have to sit in one spot and keep the car at steady speeds. Averaged about 41.5mpg going and 39.6 coming back. I didn't really use cc on the way back because of the heavy rain. Which ended up giving me the best tank since i bought the car with 410 miles out of that tank

·
Registered
2013 Rio 5 EX, 1967 Chevy C10
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The drive up wasn't so bad. I had to get gas and forgot to check miles vs gallons manually but the trip computer said I was getting 37.4 mpg. I was getting around 40.3 before I hit the 80 mph traffic. I'm going to have my sending unit checked as it showed I had just less than a 1/4 tank left but took just under 7 gallons to fill it. The seat was great until the heavy traffic, a heavy rain, and I quit using cruise control. I believe part of that was nerves though ( I don't drive in big city traffic but a few times a year). The power is good for being a 1.6 L. I didn't have any problems gaining speed, even when I took the interstate last night to go to dinner and had myself and 4 friends in the car. It wasn't as good as the other guys were following but they were in a Genesis coupe. Lol

·
Registered
2013 Rio Sedan
10 Posts
On the 28th I went on a small road trip myself. Went from central Indiana to southwest Michigan, about a 3.5 hour trip. On the way there, I got exactly 36 mpg. On the way back, I got 40 mpg. That being said, I am reading these numbers from the information display, I am assuming it is correct. I was quite happy with these numbers. We went camping in Michigan, so two people in the car and a completely full backseat/trunk.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
Don't rely on the mpg from the trip computer. I've seen mine off by up to 3 miles.

I went to Chicago a year go on my longest trip and got 38mpg back then. I would think that it would be better now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree, never trust the dash readings. Start long trips with a full tank and do the amth (miles traveled, gallons filled/used) to get an accurate MPG. My long trips are to visit family (462mi one-way) and I have done it with and without AC. I always use Cruise unless other cars force me to turn it on and off. Best I get on said trip is 39 without AC and around 35 with AC. The trip is 95% freeway. However, the AC really kills mpg on this car when just doing 50%/50% driving. AC all the time = 27mpg (COMBINED). Kia really needs to fix air ventilation system (+15deg to outside temp on coldest fresh air setting) so it doesn't require AC to be run so much!

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
393 Posts
I agree, never trust the dash readings. Start long trips with a full tank and do the amth (miles traveled, gallons filled/used) to get an accurate MPG. My long trips are to visit family (462mi one-way) and I have done it with and without AC. I always use Cruise unless other cars force me to turn it on and off. Best I get on said trip is 39 without AC and around 35 with AC. The trip is 95% freeway. However, the AC really kills mpg on this car when just doing 50%/50% driving. AC all the time = 27mpg (COMBINED). Kia really needs to fix air ventilation system (+15deg to outside temp on coldest fresh air setting) so it doesn't require AC to be run so much!
also, on my car, whenever the ventilation system is on anything except off, the a/c compressor is running, doesn't matter if i am set to hot or cold, or turn off the a/c using the switch, the compressor is always running. I know this because the compressor on my car is noisy, so i can hear when it is on, even if the light above the a/c isn't on. when i hear it on, i can turn it off by hitting the a/c button twice (once to turn "on" and then to turn off again) but it will always come back on later whenever it likes anyway! i'm sure that is part of the reason i get over 10 l/100km on all city driving.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts