Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cars battery and alternator are good. When I go to start the car the dash lights dim and pulse with rhythm of the very slow turning of the engine, and the car acts like the battery is low, but the battery reads 14V at the terminals as it's in the process of starting. After a few seconds the engine turns very slow and labored then after about another ten seconds of that it finally turns over and runs fine. This starting issue is much worse after the vehicle has been sitting a while. Its starts much quicker when the car is warmed up. Autozone said the starter was seeing low voltage on their meter. The above issue has gotten progressively worse over the past year. The vehicle has gone from a slight labored start to almost not starting at all.

Side note that may be unrelated: After using a jump box to try and start the car, the ac display lights went out and now the ac will not turn on.

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
1,935 Posts
Again as I've posted on many threads....
How old(years in use)is the battery? Not only does the vehicle electrical system need Volts, but also needs proper amount of Amps capability in the battery to power all the electronics AND starter. Starter power needs are measured in Amps not volts. Have a load test of the battery done at Autozone...they do it for free.
And Iagree that ground connections should be checked and cleaned.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,369 Posts
First, clean the terminals then continue down to the starter and check voltage while starting.
If you are getting the same at the starter then you may have an actual starter issue.
Also the mentioned ground issues is a good place to check.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts