Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 05 XSE Diesel Auto for 7 months and have now done 7000 miles the fuel consumption is getting worse, its now down to 21mpg any ideas as to what this could be.

Had problems starting, just turned over but would not fire, took it back to the dealer, they took it into the workshop and told us that nothing was the matter, however since then the problem hasn't happened, what could this have been.

Also had problems with dents in the tailgate near the number plate holder, this has resulted in a new tailgate being fitted under warranty, this also has now started to dent, I was told that the new tailgate was a modified version, has anybody else had this problem.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
75 Posts
hi mark only prob i have had is restarting if i go to the local shops and try to restart it wont so i put my foot on the accelerator and it starts first time dont know why, no trouble with the tail gate but the fuel econ is crap on them it costs me around £70 to fuel up and i get about 350 miles out of that :beer:

·
Registered
2008 VW Tiguan (sold my Sorento)
355 Posts
Hi Guys

Something worth checking out for your starting problem is the wiring loom where it comes across the top of the block. Have a look at this thread of mine on SorentoSite:

http://www.sorentosite.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=841

If the thread doesn't do it for you, just go to SorentSite, forums, problems, and search under clatter.

Before this was solved it was causing starting problems amongst other things.

As far as fuel consumption goes, could this be related ? it is after all the wiring to the injectors therefore something going wrong there could cause all sorts of problems ??

I certainly am getting excellent millage out of mine.

Cheers

Derek

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a 2004 Diesel XS automatic.

No problems with bodywork at all (apart from people opening their doors onto me in car parks) and fuel consumption is okay for a big car - on a full tank (with 16,500 miles on the clock) I reckon to get around 500 miles. Last weekend, 160 miles on just over a quarter tank, mainly motorway at 70mph

It depends a lot on what style of driving you do though: lots of short cold journeys will hurt consumption in any vehicle. Hard acceleration will too.

Personally, I have always thought that City Diesel was worse than other diesel blends (prior to the Sorento I had a Rover 75 and City Diesel always gave worse consumption for some reason.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My driving tends to take in a mixture of cross country and main roads, the trip to work is about 15 miles, so not to short, I have even tried freewheeling down hills but the consumption will not get any better than 22mpg.

Even been using it in semi auto mode so that I can upchange at lower revs, the only way that could drive it lighter would be to push it.

Looks like a trip to the dealer is required, as you live in Leicestershire who do use for servicing??

Cheers

Mark...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've recently moved here from Bedfordshire, Grovebury Cars in Leighton Buzzard were excellent and it's only 90 minutes drive each way!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have had the same gripe with my 04 XE auto, have covered 13000miles now and on local journeys and commuting the 6.5 miles to and from work the Sorento averages about 22 to 23 mpg. Towing, again only around 23 mpg, but on a long motorway journey (two up) fuel consumption improves to around 36 mpg, which I reckon is pretty good. I think one of the biggest problems with the Sorento deisel is it takes a lot longer to get to normal operating temperatures and the auto box is setup to hold off changing to top gear until all the transmission fluid has got up to the correct temperature, this will cause the car to run at higher revs until it reaches the prdefined temperature setting.

I have complained several times about the poor urban fuel economy, but my supplying dealer have been unable to find any faults with the vehicle and advised that it is normal for the Sorento.

The engine in mine is also quite clattery when under normal acceleration (worse when cold), but I've been told this is also normal so now I just turn the radio up to mask the noise in the car, if the engine goes bang KIA customer service have already been notified of my concerns and can therefore repair/replace it under warrenty.

·
Registered
Sorento XS Auto 2005
46 Posts
Find yourself another dealer with some brain cells. Your car should start on the button every time hot or cold unless there is a problem. Your consumption is poor even with your driving pattern. Insist that your dealer hooks up your car to the HI-SCAN equipment that they must keep. Enquire as to whether all downloads from Korea are up to date. Ensure that they do a visual check of injector wiring, ECU continuity as well as mundane stuff like checking for fuel leaks. Be around when they do it.
I have bought 4 Sorentos in the last 18 months, manual and auto. Only had an issue (apart from recalls) with one. Th loom frayed under the carpet leading to the ECU. My long-legged passenger was stomping on it with her foot. This caused the engine to cut out intermitently. Unfortunately I was towing a 7.5m Knaus Azur over the Alps at the time.
That apart, these cars have been everything as described in the brochure. My dealership (Tippens of Surbiton) have been impeccable too. Get on to your dealership and make them sort your investment out.
Failing that there is always Kia Customer Services.
Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I had the car at the dealers yesterday, they had it on the high scan equipment and found nothing wrong with it whatsoever, however they did acknowlegde that Kia have a problem with the Sorento and Sportage, with its poor fuel consumption.

Basically the figures that are published in the press and company info will never be achived in real life driving, as what they ask you to do is a brim to brim test which means that you fill the car to the brim, then drive it for 60 miles at a constant 60mph on a flat raod, then refill to the brim, then work out the fuel consumption from that, i mean wtf is that going to prove, how often can you drive on a flat road @ 60mph for 60 miles (unless you live in norfolk).

IMHO Kia are just covering up for what is a grave over estimation of the real fuel consumption.

I mean you wouldn't buy a pint of lager and only get half a pint, as trading standards would be down on the retailer like a ton of bricks and if this is ther case, why should the motor industry be allowed to get away with it.

Rant over :-(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all,
I DO live in Norfolk!!,(AND have a 2005 XSE) but alas only get around 27mpg driving like a slug, and that is based on many tank fulls.

On the economy front, its very strange. I find that the engine, in my opinion, overevs too freely when in the automatic mode (not dramatically though), I mean I live in area which is flat, and I tickle! the accelerator at times to get the best mpg.
So, me thinks haha, use the tiptronic function, that way the engine should only really increase revs as the speed increases, ie using the torque to accelarete the car with no 'auto clutch' assistance. Nah, this doesn't seem to be the case,. the engine again seems to over rev even when being gentle on the accelartor, BUT the funny thing is, get to about 47mph+ in tiptronic (5th gear)back off on the acceleratora couple of times, you notice the rpm drop markedly and hey presto, it finally works like a manual car. ie revs only increase as the car accelarates. Have a go and let me know what you find.
If it was like that all the time in all gears it would be so much more economical. I estimate arouned 10-20%!
I love the car though don't get me wrong. and I mean,Love it. But,:

funny you should mention it. I also have the dent on the tailgate near the number plate, and have noticed others that have too. This is obviuosly a weak spot in the design and not due to being ham fisted.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
Hi all here's a link to an article in the Guardian which may be of interest to you;

Guardian article

I've been trying to tell everyone this for a long time but it may help others understand a little better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts