Kia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Kia sedona 2012 & Kia Soul 2016
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 Kia Sedona,
My rear door (tailgate, lift-gate.. whatever you call it) Is stuck shut. It is locked but will not unlock using the controls on the driver door or key fob or by trying to use the actual key and turning it to unlock all door on the driver side.
I checked the fuses for any burned ones and replaced one that had nothing to do with the door lock relay. None the less I am left with the only option but to tear through the back panel because there is no key hole on the back lift gate and no emergency opening lever. I have seen some videos on this but they are for 2003 sedonas and they have a key hole or the read window was lowered.. which i didn't know was a thing...so yeah.
Any help with this would be great... Its really starting to be a pain in the butt not being able to open the liftgate. Its like having a truck but covering the bed so you can't haul stuff or load it up with stuff...

·
Registered
Kia sedona 2012 & Kia Soul 2016
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update - Locks keep unlocking/locking

2012 Kia Sedona,
My rear door (tailgate, lift-gate.. whatever you call it) Is stuck shut. It is locked but will not unlock using the controls on the driver door or key fob or by trying to use the actual key and turning it to unlock all door on the driver side.
I checked the fuses for any burned ones and replaced one that had nothing to do with the door lock relay. None the less I am left with the only option but to tear through the back panel because there is no key hole on the back lift gate and no emergency opening lever. I have seen some videos on this but they are for 2003 sedonas and they have a key hole or the read window was lowered.. which i didn't know was a thing...so yeah.
Any help with this would be great... Its really starting to be a pain in the butt not being able to open the liftgate. Its like having a truck but covering the bed so you can't haul stuff or load it up with stuff...
SO am update is that my locks keep locking and unlocking when shifting into drive / park. And my driver side door and passenger sliding door will not unlock. you have to unlock them manually.
I'm beginning to think I should just get rid of the van and get a newer Kia Van or a different Kia vehicle.

·
Registered
2008 Kia Sedona
5 Posts
I know a lot of newer vehicles lock automatically when you shift into drive, its a safety feature. But, as far as your Hatch/tailgate goes, I had a van that did that. It locked and wouldn't unlock. What I did with that before replacing the locks on it, right above the handle, a quick fist bang usually did the trick. just pop it a couple times and it would unlock.

·
Registered
Kia Rondo 2010
2 Posts
samething here on a Kia rondo 2010

My kia rondo 2010 (hatchback, tailgate, trunk door) is stuck in look position :( the switch on the outside handle works because I can hear it (click) when press. Even the inside release under the small hidden compartment does not change a thing.

All fuse are ok, the issue seem to be inside the tailgate.

Removing the inside panel to fix the issue looks impossible as the door must been open to remove the panel.

good thing I’m not stuck inside the car...

Where did all the mechanical... no power... just manual operation as gone. Now everything is electronic when it fails your stuck...:angry::angry:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same exact model and issue as OP. I believe KIA should look into a recall. I am replacing the lock actuator this week. I will let you know if that works.

·
Registered
Sedona 2010
83 Posts
I empathize with those having this problem. How do you open the hatch if the electrical solenoid or related mechanism fails? It is quite a delema.

I find it absurd that they do not have a key cylinder on the rear hatch. Nor an interior mechanical lever to lock or unlock the hatch.

An obvious manufacturing cost savings that ends up costing the owner dearly.

I hope someone who knows how to deal with this can chime in.

All the more incentive to keep you lock mechanism well lubricated.

·
Registered
2014 Sedona and 2012 Soul
4 Posts
Its a 2012 kia Sedona van
I have a 2014 Sedona and am having problems finding the right motor for the rear hatch unlock ... I’ve ordered two that were supposed to fit, but didn’t. One was too long and the other was reverse thread. Frustrating. I replaced the slider door motor no problem ... $12 on EBay. Unfortunately I still can’t find the right motor for the rear hatch. Good luck on yours Katshine ... keep us updated because I’ll probably be in your shoes after I find the right motor.
If anyone knows where to find the correct motor, please let me know. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts