Kia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new here and wondered if anyone could help me.

I have recently had a tailgate guard made to fit my Sorento 2003.
I have done this in order to keep my Labradors safe whilst in the boot.

What I would like to know is .....
There will be times when I need to leave the dogs in the car (say to nip in to a shop or something) and I have noticed that whilst I can leave the boot lid up and lock my car, the red warning light lights up on the dash to alert me that there is a door open (the boot)

Is there a way to stop this so my battery doesn't get drained? Or is there a way to trick the car in to thinking the boot is shut?

There may be times in the summer where I have to leave them in the car but will want the boot left open so they dont overheat,

Many thanks for any help you can give me

·
Registered
I now drive a 2020 Ram Bighorn. Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,525 Posts
I am speaking strictly of the USA model. By your use of the term "Boot" I am guessing you are a transplant or live outside the USA. On my 03 the latch on the tailgait acts as the switch telling the hatch is closed.
You could:
A. With the hatch up click the lock to the closed position. That turns the light on the dash off.
B. Remove the inside of the hatch and jumper the switch into thinking it is closed.
A. is down and dirty. You also run the risk of slaming the hatch down on a locked mechanism. You have to remember to unlock the hatch each time. Not good.
B. a little more work but you don't run the risk of a lock destruction.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply.

Sorry - I am from the UK .... we say Boot over here.
I will have a look at clicking the lock over to closed position. I must admit, I hadn't noticed that I could do that.
I wont forget to unlock the car before closing the lid again.

Hope it works! I don't want to come back to a dead car - but obvs my dogs comfort is paramount - hence getting a tailgate guard made to fit so that they can keep cool when stationary and parked up.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I just rememmbered. Can't you just lift the tailgate glass window? Does the UK model come with a 2 piece hatch?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Again,

Yes, I can just open the tailgate window ... but I figured if it was a very hot day, they would get more relief if the whole tailgate was open.
I haven't checked yet whether just having the window open will leave any alerts glowing on the dashboard.

I did try what you said, about moving the lock over.
It was so greasey and then when I managed it, it got stuck over to that position. Managed to get it back down eventually - but don't want to be covered in grease every time I need to do it and don't want to run the risk of it getting stuck permanantly.

It's such a pain! I just want to leave the stupid boot open lol and keep the boys cool.
Nothing is ever easy lol

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Simply popping the handle will "open" the latch. Clean the latch real good one time and lightly lube it. That should keep it from sticking. It should not be covered in grease. I understand the relief factor for your dogs.

I just thought of another way that might work. Find out what fuew circuit that is and runs off it. You might be able to pull the fuse and keep the battery from running down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi again nstoolman1 .... I will give it a clean and then have another go.

I'm afraid I'm no good with finding out about circuits etc .... I don't have a man around who can help with that. I bet I end up popping in to a Kia garage.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I leave my rear window open many times as I have my lawn equipment in the back that prevents me from closing the rear window...The light on the dash does stay on but my battery has never gone dead. I have sometimes had the window open for 1-2 days and battery has been fine...I have a 2006 EX..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts