Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX V6
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two questions regarding the "System Check" that displays when you start your Sorento (might be just for EX and above trim):
1) I'm wondering what exactly the system is "checking". Have you had it give you feedback other than "align steering wheel"?
2) (Far less important) My Sorento is white and the vehicle that is displayed during the "System Check" is white. Does everyone else's displayed Sorento color match the actual color of your vehicle?
Thank you very much.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
334 Posts
On my new 2019 system check includes the wig-wag headlights check.

It fails on half the start-ups, meaning the orange headlight wag symbol stays lit.
A quick engine stop then restart fixes it. This never fails to fix it.

However, leaving the car off for more than 5 minutes will get the same failure again half the time.

Modern cars have several computers, and remote switches and monitor modules distributed along a data network.
I expect they all handshake with the mother computer as part of the system check.

My symbol is also white, car is brown (I know, but the price was right).

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento LX AWD
308 Posts
I have two questions regarding the "System Check" that displays when you start your Sorento (might be just for EX and above trim):
1) I'm wondering what exactly the system is "checking". Have you had it give you feedback other than "align steering wheel"?
2) (Far less important) My Sorento is white and the vehicle that is displayed during the "System Check" is white. Does everyone else's displayed Sorento color match the actual color of your vehicle?
Thank you very much.
I have a 2017 LX and it does the same system check. Like yours, the vehicle is white on the screen, but my Sorento is blue, so white is the default and you can't change it. Other than the steering message, I have never seen anything else show up during the system check.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX AWD
60 Posts

It fails on half the start-ups, meaning the orange headlight wag symbol stays lit.

However, leaving the car off for more than 5 minutes will get the same failure again half the time.

Modern cars have several computers, and remote switches and monitor modules distributed along a data network.
I expect they all handshake with the mother computer as part of the system check.

Dealer in Nashville offered me extrav8k off just to take the brown one. Guy has 5 or 6 on the lot. My wife would kill me.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
334 Posts
Hey, it is a beautiful darkish coffee brown. Certainly not the silver I was shopping for.

Was funny to hear the sales lady's pitch: "Brown is very popular now", I asked: 'why then has it been on your lot for four months ?'

Car colors are funny, for about 10 years starting 25 years ago, you would never never see a yellow car on the road. Friend of mine had a yellow Karman Ghia that really stood out.

·
Registered
2018 Sorento LX 2.4 FWD; 2009 Borrego LX V6 RWD
159 Posts
A gripe I have with the system check is that I have to wait for it to finish before I can see the odometer. A little annoying when you want to quickly check the reading.

On some other Hyundai/Kia models, the odometer illuminates as soon as you open any door.

·
Registered
2017 AWD Sportage SX - Black / Beige
2,002 Posts

that's curious....mines never failed in goin on three years and 52k km

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
334 Posts
My wig wag trouble light is now coming on after a 10 minute night drive.
I've noticed problems in part of the start up cycle (on the passenger side headlight only) doing this: car off, lights on, parked near wall, start car, watch the dip then wig/wag on the wall.

Unplugged the main connector and re-plugged it in. That fixes everything, well I can hope.

·
Registered
2018 KIA Soul (Titanium). 2019 Kia Sorento (Pearl)
6 Posts
What are "wig wag" headlights? Does it have something to do with those odd dark triangle shapes that show up at the top of the beam, visible at night with the headlights on ... and distracting as heck??

·
Registered
2018 Sorento SXL AWD
4 Posts
What are "wig wag" headlights? Does it have something to do with those odd dark triangle shapes that show up at the top of the beam, visible at night with the headlights on ... and distracting as heck??
I too had the same problem with the incredibly annoying dark line on the low beams....and the incredible ineffectiveness of the HID low beams....

The lights needed to be aimed about 6 to 9 inches higher.... Easy adjustment and now it is a great night driver!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts