Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Sorento EX V6 and would like to replace the headlight bulbs, especially the high beam bulbs with SilverStars. I had them on my 4Runner and they were as bright and projected a very long distance - better than on my BMW with HID!

Has anybody changed theirs? What size are the bulbs? Comments?

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
I haven't seen them in a Sorento yet, but I run Silverstars in my other 2 vehicles and they are significantly brighter. In the Sorento, the low beams are H11 bulbs and the high beams are H1 bulbs, both of which are available in Silverstars.

·
Registered
2013 Silver Sorento EX V6AWD, 2007 Toyota Highlander V6LtdAWD, 2004 Toyota 4-Runner V6Ltd2x4
80 Posts
Hi Steve,

I gave my runner to my son who is away at school and had SilverStars in it. I miss the brighter, whiter light. If you find a good place and price please let me know, I'd like to put them in my Sorento.

SpongeBob, thanks for the sizes, would both the low and high beams be 55W?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I used to put Silverstars in my wife's Lancer. But after getting only a few months out of a bulb I found the brighter lighting wasn't worth the risk of her having a bulb out and the expense and time to replace them 25x's more frequently then the stock Mitsu halogens (seriously, it took about 5 years for one of her OE bulbs to need replacement!).

These were the ultras I believe so maybe they trade even less longevity for performance but at ~$40 a pair, it was ridiculous.

I guess you guys aren't having to replace yours that often?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had them in my 4Runner for 5 years with no failure! I'm going to get a set of high beam bulbs for the Sorento.

In the 4Runner I put them in the low beams as well as the highs, made a big difference. I don't know if that would be the case in the Sorento low beams since the light is going through that fake HID lens. What do you think?

·
Registered
Race Blue MY12 Skoda Octavia RS TDI Manual
929 Posts
The Sorento low beams just have a lens infront of them, rather than a reflector behind them, to deal with the beam pattern and cutoffs.
This is a cost-cutting thing, due to some countries actually having HID's in their top-spec models. (E.G. Australia)

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
I had pretty poor luck with silverstars in the past. I've never been able to get much more than a year out of one. I've had better luck with Philips X-treme vision bulbs.

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
hope this helps...

kia sorento: 2011-2013

Low beam projector- H11 bulb

stock bulbs philips-3500-3700k

SilverStar Ultra-(4100k) brightest-widest-increased light intensity, can see further

SilverStar zXe- (4200k) whitest, but shorter life recommended replacement in one year -Crisp, white light; one of the whitest halogen bulb

SilverStar- (4000k)

High beam- reflector- H1 bulb

SilverStar zXe- (4200k) -Crisp, white light; one of the whitest halogen bulb.. whitest, but shorter life recommended replacement in one year
especially if it runs as our DRL

SilverStar- white (4000k)
brightest you can get with h1 is only silverstars

the zxe is whiter but not brighter than silverstars..

another good bulb is MTEC bulbs.. from japan, (4750k) good quality

Fog Lights:
LX/EX trim: 880 (27w)
SX-H8- (35w)

with those bulbs they wont really lasts, my friend has his for 6 mos. (the ZXE), expensive.. worth buying an hid kit IMO..

the sorento low beam projector is real, it can handle even a 75w hid.. had no problem .. when i tinted my headlights before, its just that it has fresnel lens instead of clear lens.. pic below..
(stock left/replica right)

output of hid 5000k 35w..(stock sorento projector)

its one of the best halogen projectors that can handle hid without glare and "squirrel finders"

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
hehe i like lighting upgrades.. as long as my headlights don't have lights like candle.. lol
if we love our vehicles make it look better, after all, we're in it everyday..

·
Registered
2013 Silver Sorento EX V6AWD, 2007 Toyota Highlander V6LtdAWD, 2004 Toyota 4-Runner V6Ltd2x4
80 Posts
mbutkus,

How long have the Phillips Crystal Clears lasted you? I'm starting to hear that the Silverstars have a very limited life...maybe heat build up in the housing?

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
I have had had silverstars in both of my vehicles for a long time, one of them going on 6yrs and maybe about 70k miles and the other about 5yrs but only about 15k miles. Both used 9006s and have never had a bulb go out. I also had 2 in a bike(both bulbs were low and high H4s) and only replaced one in 15k miles, and there is a lot more vibration in a bike. The one with about 70k proves the bulbs can last a long time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
kobi411 -

Great job and good information. I guess I may have opened a can of worms. The stock lights, IMO, are terrible. At least compared to what I am used to.

Which HID kit do you recommend? Is it an easy install?

I did order 'regular' SilverStar H1 bulbs for the high beams from Amazon $27.67for the pair!

Years ago when I did my 4Runner I put high beam bulbs in the low beam position. Just need to cut off one of the ribs on the bulb so the connector will go on. That worked very well. As bright and more light distance than I get on my 5 series BMW! I never had a bulb failure.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
actually it doesn't matter some people can get a good hid kit from 35$ i used to go ddm tuning before and have good results.. slim 35w 5000k.. with harness.. (on sale)..
.. me my supplies of hids are from china when i retrofitted my 3 vehicles,
easy install, my estimate about 10 min. install.. we can discuss it in hid thread at the sticky..

·
Registered
80 Posts
Looks like I'm going to try Phillips Crystal Vision bulbs then if they start to go out on me, I'll go HID...

Can't stand the yellow OEM bulbs, we have a ton of deer around here that come from the Conservation areas...but my niece's husband is a local cop in the next town over and they have been pulling people over and ticketing them...a bad accident near here was caused by aftermarket HID's...so until the heat goes away...I'm sticking with with Halogens...

Kobi, your car looks awesome! Love the LED's and the HID's!!!

·
Registered
2015 Sorento
364 Posts
I bought both my fogs and my low beams online from ebay. Less than $30 total, and seem bright and are holding up fine thus far.

They claim to be xenon, and have a bright white color, not yellow. I dont remember the brand name or the claimed K rating. I have them at home, ill try some pics and post them so folks can see how they look.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
I bought both my fogs and my low beams online from ebay. Less than $30 total, and seem bright and are holding up fine thus far.

They claim to be xenon, and have a bright white color, not yellow. I dont remember the brand name or the claimed K rating. I have them at home, ill try some pics and post them so folks can see how they look.
There's lots of "claims" out there. :) True Xenon HID lighting requires high voltage ballasts in addition to the bulbs.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
yes indeed.. those hid-like bulbs may be so hot.. or sometimes blue coated halogen bulbs only.. just watch for the wattage of those bulbs.. some of them melted my friend's headlight housing.. just get 5000k or 6000k for hids..(if you dont want halogen yellow) the sorentos projector seems to diminish that bluish effect of hid in 6000k so it will look like oem white.. just go 35w only.. if you want to see further you can have it boosted to 55w.. boost 6000k to 55w and it will look like oem set-up because boosting the hid will cause to drop about 1000k but luminosity increases.. i just went to an oem set-up, denso ballasts from lexus, projectors from infinity, then osram (Sylvania) d2s cbi bulbs 5000k..

this is how it looks on the road.. 35w 5000k /55w 6000k

looking at the low beams..

so its not bluish white or anything...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts