Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to encourage street racing, but I just want to ear your story with your SX against other car. I'm curious to see how it compares to different "performance" car...
I found a video and would be curious to see this matchup in real life, but I bet the sportage isn't completely stock:

If the weather's good I'll go on my local 1/8 mile full of civic/golf/mazda next week end...
But I wanted to know if some of you had interesting story to tell...

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
16 Posts
There is a Sportage SX vs Dodge Charger Hemi 4x4 video on youtube, was not really a fair race.
Myself I tried many times against my friends 2012 Mustang V6, tuned at 320hp. From standstill or 20km\h start I can keep up neck to neck until he goes into 3rd gear, then he slowly splits away. When he enters his powerband you can see where the extra HP really pays off. On wet\damp pavement, I kill him, actually he almost kills himself hehe.
Other then that, geno civics, a Golf TDI and 2012 Jetta GLI, a Mazda protégé with intake, exhaust and headers. The rest aren't worth mentioning.
Would love to try against a WRX, Ralliart, cobalt SS (turbo) and Caliber STR-4 just to see how it fairs, I would even feel confident against those, just not the Neon STR-4 :p

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If i compare to my RSX type S with bolts-on. I think the SX is quicker to 60... But the Type S was a "beast" on the highway...
But I'll never know since I sold the acura to get the SX... I did a 10 flat on the 1/8 mile with my rsx so it's my baseline for the sportage...

·
Registered
2015 Ford Mustang GT
209 Posts
There is a Sportage SX vs Dodge Charger Hemi 4x4 video on youtube, was not really a fair race.
Myself I tried many times against my friends 2012 Mustang V6, tuned at 320hp. From standstill or 20km\h start I can keep up neck to neck until he goes into 3rd gear, then he slowly splits away. When he enters his powerband you can see where the extra HP really pays off. On wet\damp pavement, I kill him, actually he almost kills himself hehe.
Other then that, geno civics, a Golf TDI and 2012 Jetta GLI, a Mazda protégé with intake, exhaust and headers. The rest aren't worth mentioning.
Would love to try against a WRX, Ralliart, cobalt SS (turbo) and Caliber STR-4 just to see how it fairs, I would even feel confident against those, just not the Neon STR-4 :p
I think the Sportage might be close with the WRX, Ralliart and CSRT4, I don't think it will keep up with a Cobalt SS turbo, as I used to own one and know it was faster than my Sportage, even stock.

I am thinking of taking a trip to my local drag strip a couple weeks from now. The original plan was to only spectate, but I might not be able to resist the urge to make a pass or two. I am curious if I can hit the 14.7s - 1/4 mile times the magazines hit...I am probably a little heavier than stock with the aftermarket speakers, amp, dynamat and running boards, but I am only 150lbs myself. I am also around ~5000ft elevation so that might hinder my run as well.

I'll try to get a recording for you guys as well, hopefully both from the stands and from my phone - recording with the "Torque" app so I can see boost pressure and all that.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
Oh lord.

It will NOT hang with a WRX, Z, Evo, Mustang GT, blah blah blah. It is an SUV, it can outrun most normal cars and pretty much every other small to medium sized SUV out there, plus it handles decent for what it is.

What I don't get is, if people want to race or try to compare with sports (sporty) cars, why not get one? Lets try not to turn this car into something it isn't like the Civic crowd does.

Don't get me wrong, if you are going to take it to the track and test it out, by all means, enjoy. I am just saying, lets not get too crazy with the "I can totally smoke.......*insert car*" stuff.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh lord.

It will NOT hang with a WRX, Z, Evo, Mustang GT, blah blah blah. It is an SUV, it can outrun most normal cars and pretty much every other small to medium sized SUV out there, plus it handles decent for what it is.

What I don't get is, if people want to race or try to compare with sports (sporty) cars, why not get one? Lets try not to turn this car into something it isn't like the Civic crowd does.

Don't get me wrong, if you are going to take it to the track and test it out, by all means, enjoy. I am just saying, lets not get too crazy with the "I can totally smoke.......*insert car*" stuff.
First of all I think we all know what we drive... And from what i read most of SX buyers come from a sport coupe or a performance car...
I bought this SUV because my needs changed, but my love for performance has not... And since I cannot afford a porsche cayenne I got a KIA turbo...

I just wanted to know how the fastest car in the Kia line up stands against other cars...

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
I just wanted to know how the fastest car in the Kia line up stands against other cars...
Just check the test numbers from various automotive magazines, compare to said other cars and there you have it. Not to sound like a dick, but I think if people have enough experience and general car knowledge, you can pretty easily figure out what kind of cars you can beat with whatever it is you drive.

Honestly, if someone says they smoked some car that they shouldn't, then they beat the driver (which is easy to do at times).

·
Registered
2012 Sportage LX AWD
117 Posts
The optima isn't awd and the 0-60 is faster with the sportage. And from what i've read, the gear ratio also doesnt help the optima, making the sportage sx the fastest kia...
it was a joke hence the :p don't get your sportage in a bunch!! :lol:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just check the test numbers from various automotive magazines, compare to said other cars and there you have it. Not to sound like a dick, but I think if people have enough experience and general car knowledge, you can pretty easily figure out what kind of cars you can beat with whatever it is you drive.

Honestly, if someone says they smoked some car that they shouldn't, then they beat the driver (which is easy to do at times).

You should know that magazines number often differs from real life numbers and varies from one another. For example the sportage SX has an estimated 0-60 from 6,1 to 8.5 seconds from different sources...
You obviously aren't a fan of performance and speed, and it seems to offend you that we'd like to talk about our cars with passion... I also don't want to sound like a dick but if you don't like it, don't read it... And please let us get back on topic...

So keep the story coming, and I'd like to see the matchup of an optima sx against a sportage sx!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BTW I know what I bought, a sporty SUV from a korea... I know there are a lot of faster car out there...
What makes this topic entertaining is story about other drivers who dont suspect the SX being that quick...

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX - Clear White
483 Posts
I am pretty sure the Cobalt SS is supercharged, not turbocharged (I could be mistaken). The Cobalt also only has 205hp stock. I realize it's lighter, but the 55 extra hp the Sportage has, coupled with the AWD could definitely make the Kia keep up if not beat it. Some SUVs with higher hp numbers also have V6's which make them a heck of a lot heavier than the Sportage's turbo 4.

I don't condone racing, nor practice it regularly, but I have definitely surprised the odd car here and there with it's take off speeds.. ;)

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
You should know that magazines number often differs from real life numbers and varies from one another. For example the sportage SX has an estimated 0-60 from 6,1 to 8.5 seconds from different sources...
You obviously aren't a fan of performance and speed, and it seems to offend you that we'd like to talk about our cars with passion.
I am not offended at all, just kind of funny when you start hearing people talk about their cars beating other cars when it isn't possible (not saying YOU, just in general). I can't recall the thread, but some clown on these forums was talking about how he walked a WRX with ease, come on now. Yes, it is quick and handles pretty well for what it is, but unless the other driver is asleep, the SX isn't smoking some of the cars that overzealous types think it can.

I am glad you know me so well that you can make such an informed opinion on my likes and dislikes. :rolleyes:

I am pretty sure the Cobalt SS is supercharged, not turbocharged (I could be mistaken). The Cobalt also only has 205hp stock. I realize it's lighter, but the 55 extra hp the Sportage has, coupled with the AWD could definitely make the Kia keep up if not beat it. Some SUVs with higher hp numbers also have V6's which make them a heck of a lot heavier than the Sportage's turbo 4.

I don't condone racing, nor practice it regularly, but I have definitely surprised the odd car here and there with it's take off speeds.. ;)
The first couple years of the Cobalt SS it was supercharged. They moved over to the turbo a few years later, but sadly it was too late to save the car.

As for beating one. Depends on the type of FI, any mods on the car (good luck finding a stock one these days), driver, etc. From a launch, the SX might have an edge with the AWD, but on a highway, a turbo SS will eat us alive.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX - Clear White
483 Posts
I never realized the Cobalt went to Turbo.. The specs definitely improved (260hp) - so yes, with that car being significantly lighter, there's no way we would stand a chance..

·
Registered
37 Posts
My FWD SX ran 15.2 at 90 mph with paper filter. Sea level 90 degrees with 97 octane.
I ran three times with the same numbers.
Someone please unlock the PCM for a tune! Plenty more for sure. I have beat my buddys 94 m3. And a few SRT4s already. Don't even think of running an EVO though.
The cobalt went turbo last three years. They run good.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
^
Perfect case of a driver beating a driver, in terms of the SRT4. Even stock vs stock, the Neon SRT4 will put some distance on a SX. The only place where a SX will maybe MAYBE win is the 60ft times. Other than that, you can only hope that the driver of the SRT4 is a moron and misses shifts or blows the clutch out. Even the M3, while not the fastest thing out there, is still generally a full second quicker to 60mph than the SX.

But with that logic, a Sportage can beat a Veyron if the driver forgets to turn the car on. This is what I mean. You can't gauge things without taking into account that not all things are equal. What you can do, however, is realize what cars are capable of with a decent driver. Now we are lucky because driving an auto requires zero skill. You put your foot down and go. You get someone in a stick shift who is a little overzealous, maybe a little twitchy, they dump the clutch, spin the tires, you take off, they already lost. It isn't the car, its the driver. So when people tell stories like "I totally smoked a Mustang GT", I laugh because they didn't..........they beat a moron who can't drive.

/random

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well that year m3 made 240hp and was a vert. That puts it at 4000 lb. I ran him twice. From a stop and a roll.
When I rolled on I did better. Bout a car at 100. From a stop he got out a half car and I came around. So driver wasn't a factor.
The SRT4 was not stock but got pulled from a roll. We did it more than once to get a even hit.
If I prepped the sportage at the track I could have got into the 14s

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
I don't know man, sounds like a bad driver in the SRT4 to me. I can see from a dig, maybe putting some distance if he gets a bad launch. But they run high 13s bone stock. So even if you're in the 14s, the SRT4 is still a faster car.

Out of curiosity, what do you do to "track prep" the Sportage?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts