Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2012 SX
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I think there is another thread in here regarding this but can't find it. I wanted to share what I found out. I had mine in for steering issues-see steering thread for that-and I raised concern about the turbo noise at start-up- colder making it worse. The dealer technician sent an inquiry dircetly to Kia and Kia said in response via e-mail . . . "Advice 1: Advice to Tech: yes, the noise is wastegate releated. Kia is currently investigating this concern. Check that everything is tight. The noise should only last for a very short time while the engine is warming up. Thanks."
Kia is aware and looking into it apparently. If you are concerned, get it logged at your dealer maybe? I brought it to the dealers attention because mine was in for steering issues already. Was told to sit tight until further notice. But the more Kia is made aware the more serious they will take the issue.
-Matt

·
Registered
2014 sorento ex. Touring package
41 Posts
I have the same issue. Light rattle when I hit the gas. That's even when the car is all warmed up. I have a appt with them Friday so I'll tell them to take a look.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX FWD
354 Posts
good catch guys. from what i have read about other excessive turbo wastegate noise, it could be as simple as retensioning a retaining spring or maybe just replace it with a stronger one. i guess we will just wait and see what the fix is.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX - Clear White
483 Posts
mine flutters for a few seconds when I start the car.. I give it a quick rev and it's gone. At this point, it doesn't hurt the car and it doesn't affect performance so I am not worried at this point. Apparently it is a common thing amongst turbocharged engines.. If a fix comes out, then I will handle it, but at this point it's not really a concern.

·
Registered
2012 SX
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And mine still makes the noise. It's at the dealer now for steering again. I will have to ask when I go in next if there is any update. They seemed to think there was a TSB/Recall last time I was in but if they performed it, it didn't make any differrance.

·
Registered
08 MX-5 PRHT and where is my Sportage SX AWD?
65 Posts
just saw this, on a Optima Turbo, and I guess it explained what's happening and there is a TSB on Sonata Turbo which simply said "No repair should be attempted for this rattling or buzzing condition. This normal operating characteristic will not affect the performance or durability of the vehicle."

2011 Kia Optima SX Turbo: Cold Start Jingle

·
Registered
Sportage SX Black Cherry
53 Posts
I had my car in on Friday and they applied this fix. It's much quieter on start-up now. I hope it helps with otherissues I'm having, but we'll see.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i thought thats just how it was on start up, because after like a minute of driving i didnt hear anything anymore.

also noticed that some days on start up i get a high rev for about 5-10 seconds in the 2200rpm range....is that just to get the turbo warmed up?

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
144 Posts
I believe the high idle and waste gate being open (rattle) is to warm up the catalytic converter as quickly as possible to reduce emissions as soon as possible after startup.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
144 Posts
I had my car in on Friday and they applied this fix. It's much quieter on start-up now. I hope it helps with otherissues I'm having, but we'll see.
I'm missing something...what fix? Was this from a TSB?

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
925 Posts
yes a TSB [ENG104] for the wastegate rattle issue just got posted. They had to reprogram the ECU.

·
Registered
2011 AWD Sportage SX
925 Posts
So did their upgrade with the ECU effect anything else? Hope it doesnt effect the Horsepower.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
144 Posts
Thx, I checked KGIS and found the TSB. I'll take it in to get it done soon. Just this week it finally got cold enough in AZ in the morning to hear the rattle.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX FWD
354 Posts
thanks for the heads up. i was planning to take my sportage to the dealer to get the first oil change this weekend. i printed out the TSB and will ask them about it. no other issues at all.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage SX - Clear White
483 Posts
can anybody else confirm that the TSB actually eliminates that rattling noise on startup? I would love to bring this to the attention of my dealer..

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX GDI
17 Posts
can anybody else confirm that the TSB actually eliminates that rattling noise on startup? I would love to bring this to the attention of my dealer..
Good luck. I had a discussion with my dealer this after noon on this technical bulletin. He might look, but he found nothing in his system in Canada ...
Just send him a copy by email. At the moment the technical bulletin seems to be valid for the United States and in Canada, unfortunately, the problem seems to be the fruit of our imagination ... to follow ....

1 - 20 of 62 Posts