Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry for the lengthy post. After searching and reading posts on turbo issues, i noticed the majority of the owners were optima sx owners. Are the engines the same in the sportage sx? Last Tuesday I dropped my 2011 SX w/11k miles off at my dealership to see why on acceleration the vehicle would stumble. the check engine light comes on and the vehicle goes into "limp" mode. i get a call stating the OBD error codes were P0303(mis-fire) & can code U1112. They stated the 3 interior aftermarket led's i installed caused a voltage spike! hahahahaha.....i told them to remove the lights and clear the codes. well, on the way home the vehicle once again has no acceleration and goes into limp mode. I drop the vehicle off Wednesday and get a call they they have to replace the negative battery cable sensor( not in stock). Thursday, drop the vehicle off, get a call everything is A-OK. When i pick the vehicle up I ask the technician take a test drive with me and guess what? Same problem. To make a longer story short, my Sportage has been at the dealership since Thursday and no solution in sight. I was informed the contacted Kia and was waiting for a response. Has anyone else experienced this problem and any suggestions as to where i go next with this problem...Thanx.....

·
Registered
2015 Ford Mustang GT
209 Posts
Your U1112 seems to be a battery (ground) related issue, see the attached reference:

Kia: No more grounds, please - Automotive Service Professional

Regarding the cylinder misfire, that could be any range of things...spark (ignition), compression or fuel. I would think spark wouldn't be an issue unless the plug was fouled, and fueling should be precise being computer controlled, unless you had a bad tank of gas, which I would think would affect all cylinders. Perhaps compression is to blame? Hard to tell without really looking into it though.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the prompt reply. Even though there were no additional ground cables attached to the battery, they assumed that the 3 little LED's in the interior lights caused a voltage spike and damaged the negative cable sensor. Even after they replaced the sensor the vehicle still has the same issues prior to any repairs/adjustments they done. All of the posts I have read with the same related issues ALL had issues with the turbo unit and none mentioned the battery sensor. I think the dealership is looking for any issue to avoid the cost of replacing the turbo unit...

·
Registered
2015 Ford Mustang GT
209 Posts
Although I see the likelihood being very slim, the lower resistance of a LED in a circuit vs a normal bulb *could* potential cause damage to items within that electrical circuit, but again I still think the likelihood is very small. I have heard the U1112 code may not (or outright does not) illuminate the MIL. That MIL would be illuminated due to your misfires.

I don't think your turbo is damaged. The misfires if frequent enough will trigger a "limp mode" and reduce your power output to protect the engine. The only widespread problem with the TGDI engine I recall is the wastegate actuator rod improperly adjusted, which would cause a different DTC. How many miles are on your car? I know direct injection has some bad carbon build up issues, curious if one of your intake valves is gunked already. Do you do a lot of short trips?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage SX
47 Posts
I think the dealership is looking for any issue to avoid the cost of replacing the turbo unit...
The dealership bears no cost in replacing a turbo on an engine with 11k miles. That cost is covered by the KIA factory warranty. Your KIA dealer is not associated with the factory except that he buys vehicles from the KIA factory for resale. You need to relax. Take a deep breath. The problem is probably a very simple one that has nothing to do with the turbo.

This problem could easily be a battery sensor problem. The battery sensor output controls the the alternator output, which could effect the voltage to the spark plugs, thereby causing missfires and a limp-in condition which would disable the turbo.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the vehicle only has 11k miles on it. they adjusted the wastegate actuator yesterday and said they were in contact with Kia for more advise. In fact, i just got a call from the service manager and said they are still waiting on Kia to call back. I will be contacting my attorney for possible lemon law litigation. A total of 7 days in the shop and zero progress.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage SX
47 Posts
I will be contacting my attorney for possible lemon law litigation. A total of 7 days in the shop and zero progress.
"If the manufacturer, its agent, or the new motor vehicle dealer is unable to repair or correct any nonconformity in a new motor vehicle after a reasonable number of attempts, the consumer shall notify the manufacturer by certified mail, return receipt requested, at the address provided by the manufacturer. The manufacturer shall, within seven days after receipt of such notification, notify the consumer of a reasonably accessible repair facility and after delivery of the vehicle to the designated repair facility by the consumer, the manufacturer shall, within 14 days, conform the motor vehicle to the warranty. If the manufacturer is unable to repair or correct any nonconformity of the new motor vehicle, the manufacturer shall, within 30 days of the consumer's written request, by certified mail, return receipt requested, at the option of the consumer, or the lessor in the event of a leased motor vehicle, replace or repurchase the new motor vehicle. If the manufacturer fails to notify the consumer of a reasonably accessible repair facility or perform the repairs within the time periods prescribed in this subsection, the requirement that the manufacturer be given a final attempt to cure the nonconformity does not apply."

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage SX
47 Posts
And a non-functioning turbo, or miss-firing spark plug constitutes a life-threatening defect by........................

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm not sure what the traffic conditions are in Rome, Ga...but OBVIOUSLY, you have never driven on California freeways during commuter hours. Try entering on to a California freeway at top speed of about 40mph and tell me that you don't feel like your life is in jeopardy or reach a cruising speed of about 70mph and then suddenly take your foot off the gas pedal and tell me you don't feel like your life is in jeopardy. The freeways out here are a very dangerous place and the simplest driver error or vehicle malfunction does not only put your life in jeopardy but the other 30-40 cars whizzing by you at 70-80mph.
Next time before you make a sarcastic comment or question try engaging your brain before your mouth....

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,970 Posts
And a non-functioning turbo, or miss-firing spark plug constitutes a life-threatening defect by........................

but if you read Paragraph B section 1&2 it will give the rest of the story it don't have to be life threatening.;)

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you only have to meet the criteria for EITHER 1 or 2 and you missed the BIG NOTE just prior to the definitions.

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2016 Ford Focus RS
479 Posts
Good luck convincing anybody that your car going into limp mode is a life threatening defect. Things like brakes failing, seatbelt failing, wheels falling off, etc. are things that actually could get you killed. That is what the sprit of this provision was for. You are going to need a good attorney for that one.

Why such a rush to get your vehicle returned as a lemon? 1 week is nothing! If it truly turns out to be a lemon it is going to take a lot more time than the 30 days/4 attempts before you get a replacement any way. The last guy on this board with a lemon took many months before he had a replacement, maybe you should search for his thread.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Not according to California Lemon Law requirements. just scroll down to California and see the criteria
http://www.carlemon.com/lemons.html
Ya, repeated engine failure at 70mph is NOT life threatening on a freeway? okay...
And when I spend $31,000.00 on a vehicle I expect it to operate more than 6 months without failure and when it does I expect the CERTIFIED TECHNICIANS at their dealership to have some clue after 7 days as to whats wrong with vehicle.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage SX
47 Posts
I'm not sure what the traffic conditions are in Rome, Ga...but OBVIOUSLY, you have never driven on California freeways during commuter hours. Try entering on to a California freeway at top speed of about 40mph and tell me that you don't feel like your life is in jeopardy or reach a cruising speed of about 70mph and then suddenly take your foot off the gas pedal and tell me you don't feel like your life is in jeopardy. The freeways out here are a very dangerous place and the simplest driver error or vehicle malfunction does not only put your life in jeopardy but the other 30-40 cars whizzing by you at 70-80mph.
Next time before you make a sarcastic comment or question try engaging your brain before your mouth....
Honestly, I'm not trying to antagonize you, only trying to suggest that you might not be being completely rational about your repair experience. If this situation didn't rise to the level of a life-threratening defect, your turbo problem doesn't stand a chance.

IMO, your dealer should provide you with decent vehicle to fill your transportation needs, and then you should backoff and allow them the opportunity to fix your problem. If you present the same attitude to your service rep, as you have presented here, all your going to do is piss 'em off, and that won't get your problem fixed.

Seriously, good luck with your problem.

·
Registered
2015 Ford Mustang GT
209 Posts
IMO, your dealer should provide you with decent vehicle to fill your transportation needs.
That was a point I was going to raise. Granted, unless they give you another Sportage SX, I realize a loaner car probably won't be as fast or as fun as the SX, but it's still being used by you for free. Enjoy the loaner, bag the loaner...I never did mind a loaner car too much. If it was a big POS, that was all the more reason to drive the hell out of it :) ...just sayin

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX AWD, 2006 Civic Si
17 Posts
I can't believe we are talking about lemon laws here. While I do understand it must not be the best feeling having to have a brand new car in the repair shop...you should still have a little more patience. There is no way you would win a lemon law suit where we stand today.

I wish you all the best, and hope they figure out what is wrong with your vehicle soon.

·
Registered
600RWHP HSV MALOO /SPORTARGE platinum TD
73 Posts
just a little story that happened to me
4 years ago regarding limp mode and life threatening
i was driving my near new 6.2lt v8 auto down a mountain range doing about 80 kmh followed by a large trailer truck
when all of a sudden it throws a code and goes in limp mode
(2nd gear and 40 km h is the top speed in limp mode in this car
so i had the the trailer truck lock up behind me and nearly both of us went over the edge
i did consider that life threatening ?

·
Registered
11 Kia Sportage SX, 98 BMW 740IL, 73 MG Midget RWA, 77 Honda CX500, 64 Ducati 250 Single,13 CBR5000R
5 Posts
Dealer replaced my entire Turbo assy.

Hi Everyone, at 30k on the odometer I had the limp mode twice, they adjusted the wastegate rod both times but it didn't have the same power as before. Then after 1k miles the turbo stopped working all together. Dealer replaced the wastegage on my third visit. Problem came back so then on fourth visit they ordered an entire turbo assy. Just picked it up today, we will see if the problem comes back again. Other than that i've had the steering wheel replaced. Next is to have the blower for ac/heat replaced, it's squeaking like a mouse. If your mpg tanks and you don't feel the power you should you have to take it in. You paid good money for that turbo!! Also get a bluetooth obd2 scanner and the Torque android app. It will display your boost pressure so you know exactly how much boost you have, or are lacking. Should be 17-18psi in third gear.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts