Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sportage SX 2.0 T-GDI
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. after 40k miles our Sportage SX began to make this high pitch noise when accelerating.

no fault codes appear, no warning lights. just this noise. outside temp is normal.

it's coming from the engine bay it seems.

I cannot figure it out and revving in neutral with hood open does NOT produce the sound as i demonstrate in the video (start of video)

h___s://youtu.be/-i5Bk4sRyAI

THANK YOU very much in advance.

·
Registered
2020 kia sportage lx awd
94 Posts
Without watching the video, high pitch squeal is usually a slipping belt or worn pulley bushings. Most commonly when theres a noise in gear its cuz theres torque being applied. When in neutral, theres less torque on the engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Without watching the video, high pitch squeal is usually a slipping belt or worn pulley bushings. Most commonly when theres a noise in gear its cuz theres torque being applied. When in neutral, theres less torque on the engine.
thanks for the reply. i started the car cold and popped the hood. the noise came from the block itself. very strange. it subsides a few seconds later.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage SX AWD and 1988 Mercedes 300CE
420 Posts
Does the engine still run smoothly (especially at idle)? My thought/concern is in regards to the potential of broken spark plug ceramic (a potential problem with these engines) which may have fallen into one of the cylinders (typically cylinder 2 or 3). You could pull the plugs to check, or transport it to the dealership.

Of course this is a worst case scenario, there are several other potential causes as well (although unlikely with so few miles: alternator bearings, belt idle pulley, and water pump bearing) to name a few.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does the engine still run smoothly (especially at idle)? My thought/concern is in regards to the potential of broken spark plug ceramic (a potential problem with these engines) which may have fallen into one of the cylinders (typically cylinder 2 or 3). You could pull the plugs to check, or transport it to the dealership.

Of course this is a worst case scenario, there are several other potential causes as well (although unlikely with so few miles: alternator bearings, belt idle pulley, and water pump bearing) to name a few.
hey. thanks for responding. the engine runs ultra smooth. the power is there (though i don't gun it, due to noise increasing under load) . just back from mechanic. looks like it's turbo related. noise appears under very high revs in idle. seems to be coming from turbo region of the engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts