Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento X-Line Aruba Green
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I bought my 2021 Sorento X-Line there was really only one area that I was 50/50 about and that was the random silver trim on the front and rear bumper when the rest of the car trim is black/dark graphite.

I had a roll of metallic black 3M vinyl from my previous car that never got used so I thought why not. Went ahead and removed all of the Sorento, AWD, and T-GDI emblems while I was at it. This was really just a first go at laying vinyl and seeing what the rear looked like with the silver panel blacked out. I think it's a great improvement, at least in this color combination. I will say laying vinyl in this section was not super easy as a DIY, but if you take your time it can really come out great. I will eventually be redoing the vinyl in piano/gloss black to match the gloss black trim next to the rear windows.

In progress:

Finished:

I'm also thinking of using the new piano black hyperdip to black out the chrome ring around the front and rear KIA emblems. Ideally I would just swap these out but I know pulling the one off the front is a huge pain so we'll see. Depending on how well the hyperdip looks when it dries I may use that to black out the silver trim on the front bumper, TBD. Also, I will be tinting the taillights, bumper lights, and amber reflectors at some point this summer.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX X-Line in Sparking Silver and 2019 Hyundai Tucson Sport in White
65 Posts
So when I bought my 2021 Sorento X-Line there was really only one area that I was 50/50 about and that was the random silver trim on the front and rear bumper when the rest of the car trim is black/dark graphite.

I had a roll of metallic black 3M vinyl from my previous car that never got used so I thought why not. Went ahead and removed all of the Sorento, AWD, and T-GDI emblems while I was at it. This was really just a first go at laying vinyl and seeing what the rear looked like with the silver panel blacked out. I think it's a great improvement, at least in this color combination. I will say laying vinyl in this section was not super easy as a DIY, but if you take your time it can really come out great. I will eventually be redoing the vinyl in piano/gloss black to match the gloss black trim next to the rear windows.

In progress:
View attachment 118722

Finished:
View attachment 118721

I'm also thinking of using the new piano black hyperdip to black out the chrome ring around the front and rear KIA emblems. Ideally I would just swap these out but I know pulling the one off the front is a huge pain so we'll see. Depending on how well the hyperdip looks when it dries I may use that to black out the silver trim on the front bumper, TBD. Also, I will be tinting the taillights, bumper lights, and amber reflectors at some point this summer.

I used vinyl stickers on the emblems. It's a temporary solution as I've heard it's a pain in the ass to physically remove them. I've seen the lights tinted and it looks great, that will also be a summer project, along with tinting the reflectors and using hyperdip on the badges. Yours is green so the silver and black vinyl might not work as well. Beautiful color, it was my first choice but man are they difficult to find. Not to mention the markup just for that color. A dealer wanted to charge me 52k for a green one, I got mine for 44k.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those badges flow really well with the Silver! And I agree on it not working on the green. I also don't think going to an all black K emblem would be good on it either. I liked the idea of more of a tinted KIA badge on this green or maybe getting the nightfall edition Telluride badges IF they are same size (painful process but maybe worth it in the end). I wish there were some good overlays for the lights. I've done spray tinted lights in the past on mustangs, the right way with several layers of clear, color sanded, polished, etc. but I don't know if I want to go through that again haha. These taillights are not small either.

I must've got really really lucky with my timing on the purchase. I was suddenly preparing to move from California to Colorado within a 1 month span around mid-February and needed an AWD snow capable vehicle. Ended up loving the Sorento, saw 2 green ones got picked up quick over the weekend so next day drove out to a dealer about an hour away and ended up walking away with it. Bought mine for $44,974.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX X-Line in Sparking Silver and 2019 Hyundai Tucson Sport in White
65 Posts
Thanks! When i got them I wasn't sure but after getting them on I was very happy with it. Spend $22 for all three. The front, back, and steering wheel vinyl. Thats a good price for the car overall, much better given the color. Timing is everything, unfortunately the dealership I got mine from got a green one a month after I got time but my lease was up and I needed a car. It sold the same day lol I would hand down get the nightfall badges but I dont think they are the same size. I saw these light tints and I figured I'd give them a shot, will probably order them in a month or two when I have the time to get them on. Check them out, they might be a good fit although I've yet to see a Sorento with tinted lights.

They have them for all of the lights and reflectors. From what I can see they seem fairly simple to install. Idk if that's expensive or not since I've never installed them on a car before.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was looking at those Lamin-X ones too! I know they make quality kits. Very interested to see how they look on these cars. Since I park the car outdoors most of the year I have a feeling the overlays like those will hold up better over time.

·
Registered
USA 2021 Kia Sorento, SX X-Line Green Rust
138 Posts

In progress:
View attachment 118722

Finished:
View attachment 118721

That looks amazing in black , I was also toying with removing all back emblems , would love to see what you end up doing on the kia logos

·
Registered
'21 Prestige SX
25 Posts
Definitely looks alot cleaner without the silver bumper, which was one the reasons why I didn't go for the xline. I think you got the right idea about blacking out the tails, would look nice with the green combo.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll get some more pics up once I attempt to modify the emblems. Not sure when Hyperdip will have the piano black cans in stock again. Also @Giancarlo90, I ended up ordering a set of the gunsmoke Lamin-X tint kits for the rear tails and amber reflectors. Hope to have those installed fairly soon.

Then I woke up and realized Burger Tuning just released their JB4 Beta tuner kits for the new KIA/Hyundai 2.5T engine line up so I ordered one of those as well. I need to relax with the spending for a minute haha. I'll be sure to post my results of all of that once I get it installed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'll get some more pics up once I attempt to modify the emblems. Not sure when Hyperdip will have the piano black cans in stock again. Also @Giancarlo90, I ended up ordering a set of the gunsmoke Lamin-X tint kits for the rear tails and amber reflectors. Hope to have those installed fairly soon.

Then I woke up and realized Burger Tuning just released their JB4 Beta tuner kits for the new KIA/Hyundai 2.5T engine line up so I ordered one of those as well. I need to relax with the spending for a minute haha. I'll be sure to post my results of all of that once I get it installed.
Nice, let us know how they turn out. I might just order them myself soon too. I haven't spent much on the car yet and I've never tuned a car. For now it has enough power for me lol but I did get mud guard and side steps. The installation of the side bars looks like a pain in the ass but once summer comes I will try to install them myself.

·
Registered
USA 2021 Kia Sorento, SX X-Line Green Rust
138 Posts

Would love to know if tuner kit halos with lag

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Curious about this myself. I plan to get their pedal tuner kit which from what I’ve read works wonders on fly by wire setups to improve gas pedal lag. It seems like that’s a pretty big delay on a lot of cars and it makes it seem like turbo lag is even worse. Their supplier is currently closed though so they’re all out of the kits. Plus it allows you to have the Sport mode pedal sensitivity while driving in Comfort mode.

·
Registered
2020 MQ4 Kia Sorento GT Line
23 Posts

G'day Kelevra,

Have you had a chance to install your Lamin-X tints on the rear tail lights, I'm very interested in how these turned out. I'd like to order a set for mine in the gunsmoke however need to make sure they won't look too dark. AUS regulations are pretty strict when it comes to tail light and headlight tint.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unfortunately it looks like USPS may have lost them in the mail so working on getting them to recover or replace it. Will update once i have them and install them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good news. USPS found the package so I have them now. Bad news is the rear light kit is not meant for the X-Line bumper and rear reflector/reverse light size. Lamin-X only appears to have one size for the rear lenses so I’ll have to order their universal kit and cut them to size on the car unfortunately. I’ll update once I have the time to install them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good news. USPS found the package so I have them now. Bad news is the rear light kit is not meant for the X-Line bumper and rear reflector/reverse light size. Lamin-X only appears to have one size for the rear lenses so I’ll have to order their universal kit and cut them to size on the car unfortunately. I’ll update once I have the time to install them.
G'day mate,

Any update on the install of the tail light tint?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Haven’t had a chance to put them on. Got rear ended so the car is going into the body shop for a few weeks. I will say the taillight kit does not fit the X-Line bumper reflector/reverse light lenses. The kit is clearly made for the other EX/S/SX bumper type and they don’t list that on their site (at least when I made my purchase), so that was pretty annoying. I’m going to have to order the universal tint kit and cut to size myself for the bumper lenses and 3rd brake light.

·
Registered
'21 Prestige SX
25 Posts
Haven’t had a chance to put them on. Got rear ended so the car is going into the body shop for a few weeks. I will say the taillight kit does not fit the X-Line bumper reflector/reverse light lenses. The kit is clearly made for the other EX/S/SX bumper type and they don’t list that on their site (at least when I made my purchase), so that was pretty annoying. I’m going to have to order the universal tint kit and cut to size myself for the bumper lenses and 3rd brake light.
Sucks to hear, hope everyone is alright. Looks like blackout work wasted.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Luckily I was already preparing to redo the lower bumper vinyl with gloss black instead of the metallic black. Oddly enough, it arrived the day I got hit. I may push for the shop to cover the labor to replace it if I provide the vinyl. TBD.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry to hear. Hope everyone is OK.

I've just ordered my kits. Took advantage of the Memorial Day sale. Every little saving helps when not living in the US. Now just need to wait for them to arrive here in AUS. I'll update/post pics once I receive and install.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice! It looks like the GT model in AUS is the SX style with gloss black trim right? If so you should be good with the complete taillight kit they offer. I expect the quality to be good. Lamin-X has been around for a long time and their reputation is strong. My only problem is the tabs that come on the tinted overlays that you have to cut off yourself after the tint has been applied. I’ve done vinyl work before so I should be able to cut it even but for a lot of people that’s something that can be messed up on our type of taillights.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts