Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Sorento SX in Silver with Sunroof, 2006 Mazda 3
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade to 20's on my SX and would like some help with a pic of SX model with 255/45/20 tire size. I have already seen Adam's pic with 245/50/20 size and I really like the way it looks, but the 255/45 size (according to 1010tires.com) is a closer diameter match to stock, has a bigger tire selection, and the tires are cheaper.

Let me state, that I REALLY dislike the look of wheel well gap (unless your rocking a lifted 4X4, then it makes complete sense) and I don't want a smaller tire to introduce more gap. I think 255/45 will look fine but I would appreciate a pic if anyone has one that I could see.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2003 Honda S2000
183 Posts
You should be more specific in your subject since this applies to a VERY small subset of SX owners.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento SX Regency Red, 2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2011 Toyota Hiace
576 Posts
I think kobi's tires are series 45s so its better to view his photos. He's rocking a massive 22s though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would update subject but I can't with edit function. Thanks for the tip though.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX
80 Posts
Yes I used 245/50/20 they are a little more expensive but im happy with them and would recommend.

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
you cant make the wheel bigger unless you want your sorento slower, you kmight be able to get coil over springs to lower it..

with my 22s they have same gap in the wheel well... however you change the tire/wheel sizing its same overall diameter with your stock because if not, either its too slow (bigger tires) or too fast (smaller tires) sidewall speaking..

here's my 18 stock with oem tire size winter tire wityh the 22s installed

these are the pics i can show you with wheel well gaps
winter mode

summer mode

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the pics guys. I understand the concept of slower and bigger wheels and tire diameters. The tire sizes I'm looking at would probably have negligible differences in speedo reading and I just would prefer to be close to stock as possible while also increasing appearance (and also spending as little as possible).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just an update to my wheels/tires search. Yesterday I had Discount Tire mount 20" MKW 105's, wrapped in Yokohama YK580's (DT exclusive tire) sized 245/50/20. After much debate and virtually no pictures to compare, I decided to go with slightly bigger tire, because I prefer more sidewall and I did not want to chance not liking look of 255/45 tire. Although, seeing as how beautifully these tires fit, I probably would have been fine.

After I'm able to wash and shine my wifes beauty, I'll post pics. Just give me a few days. I can say after only one day road harshness has barely increased but handling is improved (as it should since I went from worn tires to new ones). The biggest difference is the decrease in perceived torque steer. when you make a hard right turn with some gusto, the Kumho's would slip even from day 1. These babies don't do that. Even though they are not a performance tire, they are a step up in most areas from what I can tell so far. I know many complained of the Kumho's horrible snow traction. Being in AZ, I have to seek snow so that isn't a worry for me but dry and the occasional wet traction is and I don't think these tires will dissapoint. Hopefully the tread life is somewhere close to the 60k warranty. I'd be happy with 45k quality mi as I only got 29k on the factory Kumho's.

I'll be cleaning and trying to sell the old chrome SX 18's. Let me know if interested, they will be going on local CL very soon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, I'm running 255/45/20 on my Sorento at the moment. There's a bit of gap between the fender and the wheels so i'm getting Eibach Pro-Kit springs soon which should lower it around 20mm throughout, a bit more in the front.

255/45/20 were the closest size i could find to my OEM setup ( the 17 inch stock rims) and had minimal difference on the speedo accuracy.

The pictures are showing the same rims, i just had them painted recently. The sidewalls looked like plastic in the second photo because the paint shop used cheap tyre shine in excess.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have an Eibach lowering kit on my Mazda and it really made my 3 look sharp, but it did make the ride more harsh than I would like. I'm ok with it, but I wouldn't want to do it to my wifes daily driver. Plus, the SX trim already sits like .6" lower so I don't see the need to lower it. You will definitely like the look and increased handling with the Eibach kit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Pics of the new wheels mounted!

Below should be the pics. Hope it helps my fellow forum members with another set of pics to enjoy. I may be partial but I do believe I have the prettiest 2011 SX in existance... The last mod I plan to add to her is some K badges and she should be all finished.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
Not a fan of the wheels but the silver and tinted front windows do look good!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I put 20% on the fronts and 35% around the rears. It seems to match pretty well and I can still see at night.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts