Kia Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
With today's oils and the tolerances on modern engines, there is absolutely no reason to change your oil at lower intervals than recommended by the manufacturer. This is especially true if you use synthetic. This was not the case a decade or two ago, but is definitely true today. Some synthetics will even go 15-20k miles. I did test my oil at 6900 miles, and it was fine and had at least 20% more life. Changing it more often is just not necessary and increases maintenance costs. I now use a full synthetic in all of my cars and my safety margin is huge. If it weren't for the 10 year warranty and the need to prove maintenance to Kia in case of an engine failure, I'd do it every 10k miles....
Sorry, but what you are ignoring rvoll is dirt accumulation in the oil.

Anyone that thinks they can run 15-20k miles is just fooling themselves....unless you have no intention of keeping the vehicle for any length of time. Sure the oil might still have sufficient additives at that interval, but it is also extremely dirty, and that leads to wear.

And what about the oil filter?, just going to leave that in there?

·
Registered
469 Posts
FYI....
I changed my oils at maximum, the recommended maintenance interval...
Usually below & all highway mileage...
My engine still blew....

·
Registered
849 Posts
Sorry, but what you are ignoring rvoll is dirt accumulation in the oil.

Anyone that thinks they can run 15-20k miles is just fooling themselves....unless you have no intention of keeping the vehicle for any length of time. Sure the oil might still have sufficient additives at that interval, but it is also extremely dirty, and that leads to wear.

And what about the oil filter?, just going to leave that in there?
Never said that I would run 15K miles between changes -- only that some synthetics were TESTED to be good at that distance. You wouldn't want to do it anyway because you might void your manufacturer's warranty. And I agree with you about oil getting dirty. However, the fact is that engines are being built with much better tolerances and much better quality control so it now takes longer for your oil to get dirty. That's why I test my oil when getting a new car. It's cheap to test the oil and you can find out using good, scientific measurements. My oil was slightly dirty, but particulate matter was below levels considered to be harmful -- and that was NOT synthetic. I remember the days, several decades ago, when 3,000 mile oil changes were necessary. But they are definitely not necessary at all now.....

·
Registered
849 Posts
FYI....
I changed my oils at maximum, the recommended maintenance interval...
Usually below & all highway mileage...
My engine still blew....
That's because oil changes have little to do with the Theta engine issues....

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Yesterday I added 8 oz (1/4 qt) after 2000 miles. ( to bring the oil level back up to the "full" dot )
I did check the oil level after a normal ride & thorough warm up, 4 to 5 minutes after shutting it off.
Also I checked it parked in the same spot in my garage.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Unfortunately/Fortunately
Depending on your point of view...
I think you are on the road to a new engine...
My new engine feels more responsive...
Also comes with new spark plugs.. LOL

·
Registered
766 Posts
My personal experience over 2 of the theta engines and a whole lot of miles so far, the oil level doesn't drop in any serious amount over a distance of 6 to 7 thousand miles between changes. If it does, keep an eye on it, because that's not something you want to allow to get low.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Unfortunately/Fortunately
Depending on your point of view...
I think you are on the road to a new engine...
My new engine feels more responsive...
Also comes with new spark plugs.. LOL
Very discouraging to think my engine could fail, that would be the first in a lifetime for me.
With 37,500 miles on my SX, I can tell you that it is running great. Feels real good and strong.
We are planning to drive to AZ later this year, which could easily be around 8,000 miles round trip. The engine failures give me doubts as to wether we should take my SX or play it safer taking my wife's Soul.

On a plus note, I recently bought a quality oil filter cutter. Today I cut open my oil filter from my last oil change, the tool worked perfectly. I was very very pleased to see no metal particles or debris in the filter material. I was surprised at how much oil was still in the filter since I thought I had drained it thoroughly. I poured the oil over white paper towels and scrutinized carefully, but there were no metal particles whatsoever.
At least it appears I have no bearing failure in progress.

·
Registered
469 Posts
It was about 8,000 miles of oil consumption before the engine blew....
Never blew blue smoke...
36K miles...
It was running rough for about a week prior....
Hopefully if something happens to your engine, it happens before your trip...

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Three months shy of 3 years and I have opened my hood 2 or 3 times just to look at the engine.
Oil changed by dealer every 5,000 miles and all required service performed. 38,000 miles of trouble
free ownership.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I don't know what was going on with the oil consumption I experienced when I started this thread.
I swear I was checking the oil level carefully and in the same spot in my garage.

Now I currently have 41,000 miles on my SX, have travelled from MA to AZ (arrived 5/1/19),
typical steady speeds of 75-80 mph.
I have gone 4,000 miles since my last oil change and it is still at the FULL mark.
I did change to 10w-30 instead of 5w-30 which is perfectly alright per the owners manual.
I don't understand what caused my earlier oil loss but I am very happy now that the level is holding at FULL.

Puzzled

·
Registered
766 Posts
Glad to hear things are ok and it was just a temporary glitch.

Since you brought this up, it reminded me on my last oil change the dealer tech forgot about my synthetic oil on the passenger seat floor. He used the dealer oil, and sure enough I didn't notice the jug sitting there until I was already on my way. crap....

Anyways, as always I have been checking the oil seeing it go down a tiny amount at every fill up. Once the level dropped about a half quart at the 5,000 mile mark I topped it off, and am arranging for the next oil change appointment.

It would seem, on mine at least, that if you use conventional 5w30 like the dealer does, it will in fact drop a small amount as you drive along. When I use the pennzoil platinum in it, that doesn't happen, it stays full for the entire change duration.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Pennzoil platinum is my choice in the SX too. 25,000 mi. now and just now put in new cabin air and engine air filters. I do both every spring after pollen season. Overkill on the engine air filter but since the turbo pumps a much higher amount of air through the filter, and the filter is inexpensive, no sense to me in doing another year on a filter with some airflow restriction. I probably save enough on gas to in a year to buy the filter. A little less gas burned means a little less carbon. Little things add up.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
As I said previously: "I don't know what was going on with the oil consumption I experienced when I started this thread."

But my oil level was still good this May when I changed it in AZ at 6,000 miles. Since then we have driven back home to MA from AZ and the oil level is still full after 4,500 miles since last change, mileage now at 45,600.

I believe now that I must have been doing something wrong in the way I was checking my oil last winter.
Yesterday I did find a possible answer that may have added to my inaccurate oil level checks.
I found that the C of E for engine oil is .00039 per degree F.
That means 5 quarts of oil will expand 6 1/4 oz's in 100 degrees.
Checking the oil level on a cold engine in winter would show a lower dipstick reading.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I'm surprised you did not know that you always check the oil with the car in the same spot (when possible) or on a level surface, and after it is fully warmed up with at least 2 minutes to drain down. I had mentioned this above back in February. Otherwise your readings don't mean much although if you had a massive oil leak it probably would show up.
Also, considering your location, I would definitely recommend sticking with the 5W-30, at least from October to April. Actually it would be fine all the time, wherever you might travel.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts