Kia Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,152 Posts
On my trans oil 'change' (D/F), I didn't go in to the dealer that day intending to have it done - I was in for an oil change and they recommended it after checking the trans fluid. Now, you could say they sold me a trans fluid change when I didn't need it because they never showed me any bad-looking fluid, but amazingly I trust these guys as they have steered me straight up to now.
Example; after telling me they recommended a trans oil change, I asked them about the transfer case and rear drive module - they said, no, they typically are good to at least 50K. They could have easily sold that to me too but they deferred to what they have been seeing there in the KIA shop, so I concluded that they have been seeing some dirty trans oil on the Sportage around 35K.
I just don't buy it. Before they gave a "lifetime" rating to the trans fluid, I'm sure it was tested 10 times over at least to 100k miles. The color of the fluid does not mean it needs changing as it did in the old days. Again, all fluids turn dark with heat but it does not effect their ability to do their job. You'll find well meaning service guys with the same old thinking, but they don't do the testing or even listen to the corporate engineers who tested the specs. Perhaps I'm just unlucky, but I've never met a service guy, even well meaning ones, who didn't want to sell you on some type of service. I still take my car to a Kia dealer for servicing and oil changes. But I don't go for all of the extra stuff they want to sell me. It is their job to sell you service and parts. They can certainly justify each of those and sell them to people who don't know much about cars. It's just like when they sold me this car they wanted to charge me $250 for putting nitrogen in the tires. My wife just told them to take the nitrogen out and put air back (and I couldn't stop laughing for days). After all, air is 78% nitrogen and as it turns out, they didn't even check the air in the tires or put nitrogen in them in the first place. I like my dealer, but still it's caveat emptor.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts