Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sportage SX, Copper&Beige AWD
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What are the highest miles on your 2016-18 Sportage SX ?
Mine 33,775 (with no problems) :)

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage SX AWD and 1988 Mercedes 300CE
381 Posts
35,200 on a 2017 SX.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportage SX AWD / Mineral silver with beige interior
942 Posts
36,000 on my 2017

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
57,000 now and running great. 😁

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX
783 Posts
just crossed 70,000 miles on mine. Done tires, brakes and drain / fill transmission in the past 6 months

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportage SX AWD / Mineral silver with beige interior
942 Posts
55,000 on mine and no problems. Looks like pcguy has put on 30,000 in the last year and a half.

·
Registered
MY17 Sportage SX AWD
20 Posts
I've put on about 55,000mi myself and done oil changes (full synthetic) about every 6,000-7,000 miles, put new tires on at about the 50,000mi mark (Kumho Crugen HP71) and I think I had an issue with a sensor that was warranty work. First KIA and I'm impressed, was looking at upgrading to a Telluride SX but they are still super scarce.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just crossed 70,000 miles on mine. Done tires, brakes and drain / fill transmission in the past 6 months
70K - Lot’s of miles. I’ve done tires also (Yokohama’s).
? Did you feel you needed a trans oil change ?

·
Registered
943 Posts
I think you typically would look for a D/F on the trans around 35,000 or five years.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX
783 Posts
I think you typically would look for a D/F on the trans around 35,000 or five years.
Depending on what vehicle and service schedule you are looking at could be 33,000 60,000 or like in ours, "lifetime" fluid when you know it isn't.
everyone has to make their choices on some of this stuff. I figured it didn't hurt to drain and fill as a precaution. I have been following the regular maintenance schedule, but this was not on that.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,135 Posts
Depending on what vehicle and service schedule you are looking at could be 33,000 60,000 or like in ours, "lifetime" fluid when you know it isn't.
everyone has to make their choices on some of this stuff. I figured it didn't hurt to drain and fill as a precaution. I have been following the regular maintenance schedule, but this was not on that.
As with oil changes, this has changed over the years. Newer transmissions manufactured to tighter specifications use a lighter oil and new "sealed" units and far less prone to contaminants than in the past. Many of you do too many oil changes, use premium fuel when regular is fine, and use additives when not necessary. As with engine oil, transmission fluid will darken with heat. This is supposed to occur and doesn't mean the fluid isn't good. Unless you pull a heavy trailer or race your car, there is absolutely no reason to change the transmission fluid at less than 100,000 miles. There are lots of people who use information from the ancient past and apply it to today's cars who won't believe what they are doing isn't necessary. Technology and manufacturing and car fluids are constantly advancing the some of those old practices should go the way of the dodo bird. When I really have a question, I use science to answer it. So when I did my first oil change at 7500 miles, I had the oil tested. Yes, it looked quite dark, but the analysis showed it still had some good life in it, the additives were still effective, and I didn't need to change the next one sooner. My recommendation to most people is just to follow the manual and you will be just fine.... And yes, at 100k miles, I will have my transmission fluid changed -- but at my age, I'll probably be 6 feet under at that time...

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX
783 Posts
I am only going to say that changing the transmission fluid is highly subjective and it really depends on the climate and service type you put the vehicle to. In my case, I do a lot of stop and go highway driving in high temperatures which borders on severe service when it comes to the transmission. It was due to this I changed when I did. When it comes to oil, I follow the regular schedule because I am using synthetic and need to keep warranty coverage in effect on the engine.

It sure seems like we go in circles a lot on here when it comes to maintenance items.......

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,099 Posts
I am only going to say that changing the transmission fluid is highly subjective and it really depends on the climate and service type you put the vehicle to. In my case, I do a lot of stop and go highway driving in high temperatures which borders on severe service when it comes to the transmission. It was due to this I changed when I did. When it comes to oil, I follow the regular schedule because I am using synthetic and need to keep warranty coverage in effect on the engine.

It sure seems like we go in circles a lot on here when it comes to maintenance items.......
My approach is similar.

I do oil changes at 5000 miles using Mobil 1 synthetic - no plan to do any sort of oil analysis and rather rely on the confidence in knowing that the oil is being replaced long before there's the slightest evidence of degradation.

I changed the transmission oil on my two cars at 50,000 miles also long before there could be any hint of degradation.

I buy my oil and filters in bulk when on special, and enjoy doing the work myself, so this is cheap insurance for me.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,135 Posts

I hear you, but I'm in the camp that it is NOT highly subjective -- it's science. I have this philosophy that people don't pay attention to science anymore. Whether it comes to this, or pandemics, or vaccinations, or or economics or analyzing problems, far too many people rely on feelings rather than science. I cringe when people talk about "common sense solutions" because that means they aren't willing to put forth the effort to find relevant solutions. Things do change over time. Technology does advance. I personally get a kick out of learning new things -- even in my mid-70's. Rather than guessing, I do testing if it is available. When I tested my oil, I was surprised at the results given years ago when oil didn't last that long. For me, it isn't spending the small amount of money, but of doing unnecessary and wasteful things. I'd just rather spend the money on charity -- or my grandchildren. When I buy something, I always use cash off credit cards and go with the one that gives me the most cash back. It doesn't take me any time to do this, it just takes knowledge. I could have easily purchased a Macan rather than our Sportage, but after driving the two cars, I couldn't see spending twice as much for a car that doesn't give me much more -- and didn't have Android Auto. This doesn't mean I won't spend money on some frivolous things. I changed the Kia emblems on the car, put a chrome strip on my EX like the one on the SX -- but the car does look better IMO. OK -- OK--- Rant done....

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX
783 Posts
I don't understand why it's a rant. The service guidance is drain and fill the trans fluid at / around 60,000 miles if you frequently drive in stop and go driving in hot climates. That's pretty straight forward. I also pointed out it's not a must. I don't see it as rant worthy to be quite honest.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,135 Posts
I don't understand why it's a rant. The service guidance is drain and fill the trans fluid at / around 60,000 miles if you frequently drive in stop and go driving in hot climates. That's pretty straight forward. I also pointed out it's not a must. I don't see it as rant worthy to be quite honest. View attachment 115388
I didn't mean you, I meant that MINE was a rant!!!! I didn't think that you were ranting at all. But I did object to the statement that it is a subjective thing instead of science and testing.... There are subjective things in life like what color car you like or whether you like sushi or not. This is NOT one of those subjective things.... And I thought I was finished with ranting....

·
Registered
943 Posts
On my trans oil 'change' (D/F), I didn't go in to the dealer that day intending to have it done - I was in for an oil change and they recommended it after checking the trans fluid. Now, you could say they sold me a trans fluid change when I didn't need it because they never showed me any bad-looking fluid, but amazingly I trust these guys as they have steered me straight up to now.
Example; after telling me they recommended a trans oil change, I asked them about the transfer case and rear drive module - they said, no, they typically are good to at least 50K. They could have easily sold that to me too but they deferred to what they have been seeing there in the KIA shop, so I concluded that they have been seeing some dirty trans oil on the Sportage around 35K.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts