Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Few questions about SX interior lighting :

1) Is it only red or you can choose colors ?

2) Where are these lights located ?

3) Is it a nice effect ?

4) Is it possible to switch it off ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2016 KIA Sorento SX+ 7 seater
547 Posts
Colour is red and matches the red of the centre consul. No colour choice.
Location is bottom of centre consul, lights the storage pocket there plus location of USB, audio pug and 12V plug. There is then a red light under the arm rest of each door, sheds some light on the window and lock switches. These have their own light. Lights are more for effect than practical value.
Does have a nice look in conjunction with other red centre consul lighting, save for the black and white Nav screen.
Cannot be switched off and really no need to as are not strong lights.
Red is a good interior light as has no adverse effect on night vision.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SXL
162 Posts

1) Is it only red or you can choose colors ? you can choose having them off, Red, Blue or Green.

2) Where are these lights located ? Footwell, cub holders

3) Is it a nice effect ? its ok. It was already on my Sorento from the dealer they got it from.

4) Is it possible to switch it off ? The button is located in the small coin tray behind the shifter. And yes you can turn them off.

Attachments

·
Registered
547 Posts
Footwell and cupholder lights in the above photos are not standard in the SX, at least not in Canada. Looks like they might be in the U.S. Can see from Kia U.S. site that there is an "interior lighting" accessory, that compared to my car, adds lights to the cupholders and footwells and forward tray. Perhaps these are standard for the SX in the U.S. but an accessory for LX trim levels. I am guessing that perhaps this accessory adds the on/off switch and ability to change colors.
Can see why you might want the option to turn them off, Lights in mine are very subdued.

Also note that the all weather mats that can be seen in these photos are not yet available in Canada; you get carpet mats with the car. Know at least one Michigan dealer who supplies the all weather mats with their new cars; great idea.

·
Registered
427 Posts
A great shot of the interior lighting is in this post:

http://www.kia-forums.com/464662-post1.html
This is the standard interior lighting in all trims.

1) Is it only red or you can choose colors ? you can choose having them off, Red, Blue or Green.

3) Is it a nice effect ? its ok. It was already on my Sorento from the dealer they got it from.

4) Is it possible to switch it off ? The button is located in the small coin tray behind the shifter. And yes you can turn them off.
This is an optional port or dealer installed accessory that is not standard on any trim.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Interior lighting U.S. vs Cdn SX's

A great shot of the interior lighting is in this post:

http://www.kia-forums.com/464662-post1.html
The 4th pic in this series showing the interior lighting is identical to my SX. Unlike the U.S. apparently, the forward tray and arm lights are only available on the SX (called interior mood lightlng in the Kia Canada site).

·
Registered
2017 Sorento SX+ V6 AWD - 2016 SX+ V6 AWD (crashed) - 2014 SX V6 AWD (sold) - 2011 EX V6 AWD (sold)
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies and pictures. It is clear now what ti is and what is standard and what is optional.

·
Registered
2010 sedona
3 Posts
should make interior lights color choice programable

red lights are obnoxious. soft blue or some type of green would be calmer at night

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
My new leftover 2015' Sorento Black/Tan EX V6 AWD came with the optional lighting pkge. and I luv it! The doors trims, kick pads, & dash are red, and of all the colors I light up the floorwells, & center cup holders in green ever since new last year, with 1/2 red & 1/2 green, It's like Christmas all yr around. Not distracting either ;)

·
Registered
'15 SX, '19 Stinger GT2 AWD
1,103 Posts
red lights are obnoxious. soft blue or some type of green would be calmer at night
Red has the least impact on your vision at night. It's used universally by people who need to work in the dark (*except for red/green color blind).

Rhodopsin in the rods is very slowly depleted by red light, which is viewed by the red cones without impacting overall sensitivity to light. Colors which stimulate the blue or green cones also affect the rhodopsin significantly, which reduces sensitivity to light overall ("night vision").

That said, there are autos that have the ability to make the interior any color you want. Can't give you a list but I've rented some (I used to travel a lot)..

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
All my Hyundai's had "Blue lighting", I don't know why, but I liked it better? I thought it was easier on the eyes,,, The red seems to leave a slight halo effect to my vision? And also it seems to take longer for my eyes to adjust to any light when I look away? Regardless of what I read, & see posted here?

At least the gauges are a nice Black, & White! ;)

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Everyone has their preference, and these days there's no reason to not allow the user to choose.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Everyone has their preference, and these days there's no reason to not allow the user to choose.
It's not my preference, I wouldn't care, but red lighting seems to bother me, and I can't change all the interior light's. Maybe I'm a closet "epileptic"? Red, or Blue light's can affect these people, from what I read anyway?

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
917 Posts

Bumping this RE my New To Me SX

I experienced the night driving in deep RED backlighting of all the controls (dash and Steer wheel) for the 1st time Friday past. I find it very hard to read. It may not affect night vision but readability is poor, for me anyway. Thankfully the display circular dash areas remained white.

Some say its toggles other no and its Red only in the build list link here I went to. I saw nothing in the cup holders.

I am going to look for that switch in the coin box and see what it does at night.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
917 Posts
I looked for this button/switch in the coin tray behind the shifter which has three switches on top ahead of it. The reverse sensor sound disable, ECO and one other. Nothing in that tray whatsoever. I then looked also felt around the tray at the front where the 12V outlets are and there is nothing there either.

Ok nothing gained in that exercise.

·
Registered
Sorento SX FWD 2015
513 Posts
Yep, I understand, my eyesight also dislikes the nighttime red panel back-lighting. Unfortunately it's almost impossible to really check out a car during a test drive with a salesman blabbering in the back seat. I have had the car about 6 months now and found I also missed about 10 other things that annoy me. But guess for being at the lower end cost range of mid sized SUV's I can't complain to much.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I guess I'm in the minority here, not only is the red the least distracting color for me, but I wish I could turn it down even more than currently possible.

My truck (2003 F150) has green lighting and I despise it at night. Fortunately, the dimmer dial also allows it to be turned off completely.

Going back to my earlier comment, however - these days, tri-color LEDs are cheaper than regular bulbs, there's no technical reason the interior lighting on every switch and surface can't be changed to suit the preference of the user. If only I were king...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts