Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sportage SX AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have a SX and a Google 5X phone, and have problems with Android Auto? The app seems to work work fine on the phone by itself, but when attached to the car it has a lot of problems. I just bought my SX a few months ago so I think its head unit firmware is pretty recent, and I've got the latest version of Android on the phone.

Symptoms include general sluggishness while navigating, poor voice recognition, texting issues, and hanging and blank screens. One of the silliest things is when I record a text message, it includes part of the prompt "what's the message?" in the reply. But then again, most of the time it fails to send the reply and just hangs until I kill the app, so the recipients never see it anyway.

I've pretty much given up on it as it has been quite a distraction while driving, which defeats the purpose of it in the first place. Fortunately, the SX has all the nav and hands-free features I wanted, so I'm just sticking to native features. Android Auto support was not a major draw for me when deciding on the Sportage. Maybe some future update (either car or phone) will fix these issues.

- dcc

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
894 Posts
No problems here with Android Auto. Make sure it is an option on your infotainment system and you select it. Check the settings on your phone. Your phone should become inactive when Android Auto is engaged. You are using a direct USB cable aren't you as Android Auto does not work over bluetooth. Also, make sure you have the latest UVO and Android Auto updates as I originally had connection problems with older versions.

·
Registered
2018 Audi SQ5, Navarra Blue/Rotor Grey Nappa
107 Posts
Anyone else have a SX and a Google 5X phone, and have problems with Android Auto? The app seems to work work fine on the phone by itself, but when attached to the car it has a lot of problems. I just bought my SX a few months ago so I think its head unit firmware is pretty recent, and I've got the latest version of Android on the phone.

Symptoms include general sluggishness while navigating, poor voice recognition, texting issues, and hanging and blank screens. One of the silliest things is when I record a text message, it includes part of the prompt "what's the message?" in the reply. But then again, most of the time it fails to send the reply and just hangs until I kill the app, so the recipients never see it anyway.

I've pretty much given up on it as it has been quite a distraction while driving, which defeats the purpose of it in the first place. Fortunately, the SX has all the nav and hands-free features I wanted, so I'm just sticking to native features. Android Auto support was not a major draw for me when deciding on the Sportage. Maybe some future update (either car or phone) will fix these issues.

- dcc
I would give Google a call. I had a Nexus 5X a while ago and it was a decent phone. There shouldn't be any issues related to AA working because I've seen it run fine on much lowered powered devices stutter-free. Maybe try using another USB-C cable, or reinstalling the app.

·
Registered
2017 AWD Sportage SX - Black / Beige
1,992 Posts

- dcc
I use AA on my SX with a Blackberry Priv and, while it certainly ain't prefect, it doesn't have any of the problems you mention. My biggest complaint is the phone ring. Sometimes it works, other times it just mutes the stereo but no ring. however the phone works fine regardless. in the last couple of days it now refuses to send the phone audio through the stereo, which it used to do. Lately phone sound is only coming out of the phone. I usually find deleting it from the phone and then re-installing it solves most of these problems, at least for a while. A little buggy...

I like AA and it's nav functions are far superior to the standard Kia stuff, but overall it is a little buggy. and unfortunately, google support of AA is not very good to almost non-existent. If it works with your car / phone combination it is pretty good, but that is not always the case for some. I think it depends more on the phone but that's only a feeling I get reading about everyone else's problems.

I get the overall feeling that AA is a beta level app, about 85% complete.

·
Registered
2018 Audi SQ5, Navarra Blue/Rotor Grey Nappa
107 Posts
I use AA on my SX with a Blackberry Priv and, while it certainly ain't prefect, it doesn't have any of the problems you mention. My biggest complaint is the phone ring. Sometimes it works, other times it just mutes the stereo but no ring. however the phone works fine regardless. in the last couple of days it now refuses to send the phone audio through the stereo, which it used to do. Lately phone sound is only coming out of the phone. I usually find deleting it from the phone and then re-installing it solves most of these problems, at least for a while. A little buggy...

I like AA and it's nav functions are far superior to the standard Kia stuff, but overall it is a little buggy. and unfortunately, google support of AA is not very good to almost non-existent. If it works with your car / phone combination it is pretty good, but that is not always the case for some. I think it depends more on the phone but that's only a feeling I get reading about everyone else's problems.

I've never had issues running AA in my Sportage. Granted I did have some issues in a Chevy that was a rental. A good cable is 95% of the battle, the rest comes down to your phone. That sounds like a Bluetooth problem more than anything.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage SX AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This week I tried a few different cables, re-installed the app, etc and it still behaves the same way. Yet when I run AA on the phone itself (not attached via cable to the car or bluetooth) it doesn't have the issues, so there's definitely some phone-to-car communications issue.

When using the native capabilities with the phone (audio streaming, phone, UVO services, etc.) everything works great.

Oh well, I'm lovin' the car just the same :) About to pass 3,000 miles so I may write a little review after that.

- dcc

·
Registered
2017 Sportage SX AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Partially resolved

For anyone having similar issues, I found a partial workaround on a AA forum. It appears there's a bug with the "Ok google" prompt.

By turning off "Ok Google" detection within the phone settings, the general responsiveness and texting (to a certain extent) works better now when my Nexus 5x phone is connected (via cable and bluetooth) to my Sportage. I can successfully send texts and receive one text. Can't receive more than one though, which is odd.

- dcc

·
Registered
2017 AWD Sportage SX - Black / Beige
1,992 Posts
For anyone having similar issues, I found a partial workaround on a AA forum. It appears there's a bug with the "Ok google" prompt.

By turning off "Ok Google" detection within the phone settings, the general responsiveness and texting (to a certain extent) works better now when my Nexus 5x phone is connected (via cable and bluetooth) to my Sportage. I can successfully send texts and receive one text. Can't receive more than one though, which is odd.

- dcc
that is interesting. I've never enabled or used the "Ok Google" option. I just use the MIC button on the steering wheel anytime I want to give AA an audible command or request. Seems to work well. My understanding is the the MIC button isn't always integrated with AA in some cars, but it seems to work in the Sportage just fine. I find it the easiest way to communicate with AA and Google.

You should experiment with questions and commands this way. Some of the things AA will do are pretty neat, like weather reports, math questions, word definitions etc.....probably other things I haven't discovered yet.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage SX
3 Posts

- dcc
Hello, I am new to the forum. I still have my 5X and it works fine on my 2019 Sportage SX.

·
Registered
2018 Sportage EX
171 Posts

This sounds like your phone volume is turned down and the system is attempting to port the audio through but there is nothing to play.

Some of my sound like ringtones do this if my phone volume is down.

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 1.6 CRDi 2018
6 Posts
Did you try using another USB cable to connect your phone to the car? It may be a defective cable or a bad connector that's responsible for the problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts