Kia Forum banner

SX 2.4L w/Auto Trans Slip/Jerk Shift Problem

109K views 345 replies 60 participants last post by  altaski 
#1 ·
All -

It has happened way too many times now for it to be a fluke - my tranny in AUTO mode will really jerk the very first shift sequence after the car has been started.... let me explain. I have tried this sequence over and over, and it's repeatable...

After the car has been turned off, I can get back in and start it. Upon shifting into DRIVE (not the "manual" shift), I will strongly accelerate. I have counted the gear changes, and when the tranny goes from 2nd into 3rd THE VERY FIRST TIME, it will "slip". For about 1/10th of a second, the engine RPM will jump up, then the tranny will "catch" in 3rd gear, and continue to shift normally, either up to 5th, or up and down as needed.

Once this "slip" has occurred, it will NOT occur again during the course of driving. Once the engine has been turned off, and then re-started, I can repeat the one-time "slip". It isn't really noticeable IF I don't accelerate hard... but it's annoying as HELL when I do. I have seen other threads about getting the tranny "reset" or perhaps "re-booted?" All I know is that I will have to tell the dealer when I take it in for the first oil change... or perhaps I'll take it in sooner if I get pissed off enough.

Who else has experienced this slipping? As I indicated in the title, it is occuring with my 2010 SX, 2.4L engine with the auto tranny. Is this something KIA should be investigating and producing a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) about?

And for EVERYONE who has NOT done it..... do yourself a HUGE favor and sign up for KIA's own Technical assistance Website (it is the SAME one the dealerships and technicians use!!!). It's free, and can be found at:
http://www.kiatechinfo.com

Well gang? Let's hear what YOU have to say....

See less See more
#4 ·
My 2010 EX 2.0 w/ fuel economy package (and 5 sp auto trans, same as yours) does EXACTLY the same thing. A noticable rev in RPM between 2nd and 3rd gear only after startup. I had been concentrating on an issue I have getting my Blackberry to work with the Bluetooth, but this one is annoying too. Will you be taking yours into your dealer?

I will mention to Kia customer service when I call about the bluetooth issue.

#5 · (Edited)
oferrans -

What I mean is this: as the tranny shifts from 2nd to 3rd (during HARD acceleration), the engine does not engage the transmission for about oh..... 1/10th of a second... and in that time the engine revs UP because there is no load (transmission/drivetrain) on the output of the engine. It can't be good for the engine to do that, nor the transmission as it "catches" or "attaches" to the now-higher-revved engine. Once it DOES catch, the engine RPM returns to the "normal" range.

Let me be clear.... the engine doesn't wind up another 1000 RPM or anything at all that rediculous. This is more annoying than anything else, as the car jerks when the transmission re-engages/re-attaches. I just want KIA to be able to STOP it. As the auto-5-speed is an adaptive transmission (it "learns"), it should also be able to be made "stupid" or "un-learned" (reset).

I am hoping that once I get the car to the dealer, WITH the printout from the KIA Tech website about resetting the transmission, that this problem will go away forever. If not, then KIA has a possible PROGRAMMING problem in the logic/software that the transmission uses. Ain't computers wonderful?

The whole idea of this thread was to get other Forte owners to discuss whether or not they are also experiencing this shifting problem between 2nd and 3rd gear. If you are, let's hear about it!

mpaterso -

Thanks for your input.... that makes 2 of us so far..... any others?

And by the way..... for all you people that are worrying about winter coming and slopping up the beautiful floor mats of your new Forte... KIA has come out with FACTORY winter floor mats!! These go in PLACE of your original floor mats; check them out: Kia Forte All Weather Floor Mats

I have already purchased several items from here, and they are honest and FAST! New users registering get an automatic 11% off the price, and all orders OVER $150 get FREE SHIPPING, too!

#26 ·
same problem?

I believe I have a simliar problem and I took it in and they said they couldn't find what it was and to keep driving it for a while, which I have with 5000 miles already under my belt in only 6 wks of owner ship..I will mention this thread and see what they say again.:eek:

oferrans -

What I mean is this: as the tranny shifts from 2nd to 3rd (during HARD acceleration), the engine does not engage the transmission for about oh..... 1/10th of a second... and in that time the engine revs UP because there is no load (transmission/drivetrain) on the output of the engine. It can't be good for the engine to do that, nor the transmission as it "catches" or "attaches" to the now-higher-revved engine. Once it DOES catch, the engine RPM returns to the "normal" range.

Let me be clear.... the engine doesn't wind up another 1000 RPM or anything at all that rediculous. This is more annoying than anything else, as the car jerks when the transmission re-engages/re-attaches. I just want KIA to be able to STOP it. As the auto-5-speed is an adaptive transmission (it "learns"), it should also be able to be made "stupid" or "un-learned" (reset).

I am hoping that once I get the car to the dealer, WITH the printout from the KIA Tech website about resetting the transmission, that this problem will go away forever. If not, then KIA has a possible PROGRAMMING problem in the logic/software that the transmission uses. Ain't computers wonderful?

The whole idea of this thread was to get other Forte owners to discuss whether or not they are also experiencing this shifting problem between 2nd and 3rd gear. If you are, let's hear about it!

mpaterso -

Thanks for your input.... that makes 2 of us so far..... any others?

And by the way..... for all you people that are worrying about winter coming and slopping up the beautiful floor mats of your new Forte... KIA has come out with FACTORY winter floor mats!! These go in PLACE of your original floor mats; check them out: Kia Forte All Weather Floor Mats

I have already purchased several items from here, and they are honest and FAST! New users registering get an automatic 11% off the price, and all orders OVER $150 get FREE SHIPPING, too!

#6 ·
forte shifting

hello kia owners im a master certified kia tech and kia now has a transmission tcm reprograming for the shift delay from 2nd to 3rd gear they also have a reprograming for the misfire on the fortes please let me know if more info is needed here to help

#9 ·
I think I have same problem

New Forte SX, less than 100 miles. Car sitting in parking lot. Started engine, accelerated out of parking lot and got a rude jerk between 2nd and 3rd gear. You are right, when the engine is warm did not experience any problems. I also noticed that when I start the car in the morning the reverse is loud and vibrates. Put car in drive and the transmission is quiet, put in reverse again (have to get out of driveway) and the transmission is noisy.

#13 · (Edited)
I just checked the TSB's at: www.kiatechinfo.com (by the way, this site is available to anyone who wants to register for access) and the only transmission TSB listed for the Forte is for manual transmissions--- "KMA is conducting a Service Action in relation to some 2010 MY Forte Sedan and Koup with 2.0l engines equipped with manual transaxles and no cruise control. Some vehicles may experience a shift shock during the 2-3 shift due to the rpm control. This pCM upgrade will lower the RpM range during the shift to reduce shock complaint on vehicles produced prior to August 19, 2009."

It is TSB # KT2009102901 issued on October 29th.

Strange that this would be the case, since shift shock should only be associated with auto trannys---you wouldn't have shift shock when you a using a clutch--unless you didn't know how to use a clutch!

There is nothing mentioned about automatic transmissions at all.

As a side note, I test drove 2 different SX's before buying. The other one (the one that I didn't buy) had this same problem with the shift shock between 2nd and 3rd gears. The one that i DID buy did not have this problem on the test drive, nor since (1800 miles).

#15 · (Edited)
To the folks that are experiencing this problem, there are a couple of things that I would try before seeking service. Turn the ETC (Electronic Traction Control) off and see if this corrects the problem--if so, you have more information to give to the service department. The second thing that I would try would be to disconnect the negative battery terminal cable from the car and then reconnecting. This will reset the ECM (Electronic Control Module--which also controls the transmission as well as other functions of the car) and may result in correcting the shift problem. If you do decide to try this, remember that you may have to reset all of your custom settings such as the clock, radio, etc. as their memory will probably be lost.

#21 ·
Received the below message from my dealership service manager:

"The xxxxx Street KIA department has contacted KIA Tech line. I was informed that we must start by reprogramming the adaptive values too the
PCM and then contact KIA tech line and let them know we have done this. This procedure should not take more than 45min to 60min"...................

What does this mean in English? And does this sound like an official fix or just something to try as they are guessing?

#24 · (Edited)
FINALLY someone has this issue... I have a 2009 2.4l Optima LX with the 5spd auto and I get the EXACT same shift. TeeJay1959 mine is identical to how you describe it. After the car has been driven, parked and turned off, and then I get back in and take off, the shift from 2nd to 3rd is really BAD. Feels like a huge slip or like it shifts to 3rd, back to 2nd, then back to 3rd all within a second. It never does this when cold.

I am SO happy that someone else is having this issue. My dealer reset my shift values, but that only helped it for a day or 2, then it was right back. I hope Kia can get this resolved soon. Keep us informed.

OH and I also disconnected my battery for one whole night. Again, like the shift reset KIA did to it, it only helped for a day or so before the freaky 2nd to 3rd shifts were back.

#25 ·
SX Automatic...Slipping, Clunking Transmission

I have a Forte SX that has a shifting problem. I have thought it was "clunking" between 1st and 2nd gears while the others mention that it occurs between 2nd and 3rd. The local Kia dealer is unaware of an official issue. I am not pleased to hear that many folks are sharing in the anguish but its probably true that many new models, no matter the manufacturer, have simple glitches that get corrected in time. My "Sporte' Forte' has a second appointment soon.

2010 Forte' SX - Ebony
2010 Soul + - Titanium

#27 ·
Our 2.0 with the econo package and 5 sp auto does the same thing. Shut engine off, restart, back out of parking spot and when you drive off the 2-3 shift is UGLY.
Took it to the dealer (1200 miles on it) and they reflashed the computer. Still does the same thing but now the gas milage is shot...:(
Its going back to the dealer on Fri!

Bill

#28 ·
rockingchair -

GEEZE! That absolutely SUCKS! I was SO thinking of having them reset my tranny (it's STILL slipping in 2nd-to-3rd, first time from ignition-on). Now? I don't know.... the last thing I want to do is have my performance and gas milage suffer for a smoother shift.

I mean.... if I know it's going to happen, and I just accelerate lightly through the first 2nd-to-3rd shift, I don't feel it (or it is almost non-existant). I really wish KIA's main USA Engineering Department would assign someone to daily read ALL our postings, so they can know when something is happening that they should address WITHOUT all of us having to contact the dealer.

That being said, I still think my Corsa Blue SX Sedan is beyond nice. By the way, if anyone else recalls my other threads, I have just gotten done physically installing the Wolo #419 air horn inside my grill. It took some time to fabricate a metal L-bracket to mount it to, but it really REALLY fits well. Now all I need to do is the final wiring to the relay and horn circuit, and WATCH OUT OTHER DRIVERS! You piss me off, you're gonna know about it from ME. heheheheheh

#29 ·
Me too! Jerking/Bucking problem

Thanks for this site. Wow.
I'm a first time Kia owner. I just bought a Forte Koup SX 2.4 Auto. This bucking problem has happened once a day for the last 5 days or so. Always after I re-start driving and start my first real acceleration on a main road. The car jerks/bucks enough to spill a cup of water if I were holding one. I'm giving it in tomorrow. I hope there's a recall soon.

#32 ·
Ok just got back from Kia service. They re-flashed the ECM with some sort of official update. One thing that gives me pause is that the service manager kept using the word "hesitatation" while I kept using the word "bucking". I hope he's on the same page. We'll see how it behaves in the few days.

#33 ·
'They re-flashed the ECM with some sort of official update'.... Do you have more info on exactly what they 'called' this procedure? Is there a reference number or title to the procedure?

Or was it just the re-flash/reprogramming the adaptive values too the PCM?.. to have the tranny re-learn ones driving habits?

TIA

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.