Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 346 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forte SX Corsa Blue
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All -

It has happened way too many times now for it to be a fluke - my tranny in AUTO mode will really jerk the very first shift sequence after the car has been started.... let me explain. I have tried this sequence over and over, and it's repeatable...

After the car has been turned off, I can get back in and start it. Upon shifting into DRIVE (not the "manual" shift), I will strongly accelerate. I have counted the gear changes, and when the tranny goes from 2nd into 3rd THE VERY FIRST TIME, it will "slip". For about 1/10th of a second, the engine RPM will jump up, then the tranny will "catch" in 3rd gear, and continue to shift normally, either up to 5th, or up and down as needed.

Once this "slip" has occurred, it will NOT occur again during the course of driving. Once the engine has been turned off, and then re-started, I can repeat the one-time "slip". It isn't really noticeable IF I don't accelerate hard... but it's annoying as HELL when I do. I have seen other threads about getting the tranny "reset" or perhaps "re-booted?" All I know is that I will have to tell the dealer when I take it in for the first oil change... or perhaps I'll take it in sooner if I get pissed off enough.

Who else has experienced this slipping? As I indicated in the title, it is occuring with my 2010 SX, 2.4L engine with the auto tranny. Is this something KIA should be investigating and producing a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) about?

And for EVERYONE who has NOT done it..... do yourself a HUGE favor and sign up for KIA's own Technical assistance Website (it is the SAME one the dealerships and technicians use!!!). It's free, and can be found at:
http://www.kiatechinfo.com

Well gang? Let's hear what YOU have to say....

·
Registered
2011 Forte 5 Door
96 Posts
If it only does it when you stop and restart the dealer will have trouble trying to figure it out . If you have a camcorder set it up first and record the problem then take it to the dealer...

·
Registered
Kia Cerato Forte 2.0l
27 Posts
What do you mean by "slip". I have a SX 2010 2.0L AT and i have noticed that sometimes the rpm goes down and then up when im accelerating hard...are we talking about the same???

·
Registered
2010 Kia Forte EX
10 Posts
All -

It has happened way too many times now for it to be a fluke - my tranny in AUTO mode will really jerk the very first shift sequence after the car has been started.... let me explain. I have tried this sequence over and over, and it's repeatable...

After the car has been turned off, I can get back in and start it. Upon shifting into DRIVE (not the "manual" shift), I will strongly accelerate. I have counted the gear changes, and when the tranny goes from 2nd into 3rd THE VERY FIRST TIME, it will "slip". For about 1/10th of a second, the engine RPM will jump up, then the tranny will "catch" in 3rd gear, and continue to shift normally, either up to 5th, or up and down as needed.

Once this "slip" has occurred, it will NOT occur again during the course of driving. Once the engine has been turned off, and then re-started, I can repeat the one-time "slip". It isn't really noticeable IF I don't accelerate hard... but it's annoying as HELL when I do. I have seen other threads about getting the tranny "reset" or perhaps "re-booted?" All I know is that I will have to tell the dealer when I take it in for the first oil change... or perhaps I'll take it in sooner if I get pissed off enough.

Who else has experienced this slipping? As I indicated in the title, it is occuring with my 2010 SX, 2.4L engine with the auto tranny. Is this something KIA should be investigating and producing a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) about?

And for EVERYONE who has NOT done it..... do yourself a HUGE favor and sign up for KIA's own Technical assistance Website (it is the SAME one the dealerships and technicians use!!!). It's free, and can be found at:
http://www.kiatechinfo.com

Well gang? Let's hear what YOU have to say....
My 2010 EX 2.0 w/ fuel economy package (and 5 sp auto trans, same as yours) does EXACTLY the same thing. A noticable rev in RPM between 2nd and 3rd gear only after startup. I had been concentrating on an issue I have getting my Blackberry to work with the Bluetooth, but this one is annoying too. Will you be taking yours into your dealer?

I will mention to Kia customer service when I call about the bluetooth issue.

·
Registered
2010 Forte SX Corsa Blue
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
oferrans -

What I mean is this: as the tranny shifts from 2nd to 3rd (during HARD acceleration), the engine does not engage the transmission for about oh..... 1/10th of a second... and in that time the engine revs UP because there is no load (transmission/drivetrain) on the output of the engine. It can't be good for the engine to do that, nor the transmission as it "catches" or "attaches" to the now-higher-revved engine. Once it DOES catch, the engine RPM returns to the "normal" range.

Let me be clear.... the engine doesn't wind up another 1000 RPM or anything at all that rediculous. This is more annoying than anything else, as the car jerks when the transmission re-engages/re-attaches. I just want KIA to be able to STOP it. As the auto-5-speed is an adaptive transmission (it "learns"), it should also be able to be made "stupid" or "un-learned" (reset).

I am hoping that once I get the car to the dealer, WITH the printout from the KIA Tech website about resetting the transmission, that this problem will go away forever. If not, then KIA has a possible PROGRAMMING problem in the logic/software that the transmission uses. Ain't computers wonderful?

The whole idea of this thread was to get other Forte owners to discuss whether or not they are also experiencing this shifting problem between 2nd and 3rd gear. If you are, let's hear about it!

mpaterso -

Thanks for your input.... that makes 2 of us so far..... any others?

And by the way..... for all you people that are worrying about winter coming and slopping up the beautiful floor mats of your new Forte... KIA has come out with FACTORY winter floor mats!! These go in PLACE of your original floor mats; check them out: Kia Forte All Weather Floor Mats

I have already purchased several items from here, and they are honest and FAST! New users registering get an automatic 11% off the price, and all orders OVER $150 get FREE SHIPPING, too!

·
Registered
07 ranger
3 Posts
forte shifting

hello kia owners im a master certified kia tech and kia now has a transmission tcm reprograming for the shift delay from 2nd to 3rd gear they also have a reprograming for the misfire on the fortes please let me know if more info is needed here to help

·
Registered
07 ranger
3 Posts
no problem here to help fellow kia owners if anything is needed ill get answers in a couple hours if not instantly

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think I have same problem

New Forte SX, less than 100 miles. Car sitting in parking lot. Started engine, accelerated out of parking lot and got a rude jerk between 2nd and 3rd gear. You are right, when the engine is warm did not experience any problems. I also noticed that when I start the car in the morning the reverse is loud and vibrates. Put car in drive and the transmission is quiet, put in reverse again (have to get out of driveway) and the transmission is noisy.

·
Registered
too many
22 Posts
Forte EX economy package (5sp auto) does the same thing. Wife drives it 100% of the time and mentions it to me. She notices it on the first shift after start-up sometimes. We have had it 6 days and it has over 600 miles on it so far.

·
Registered
37 Posts
hello kia owners im a master certified kia tech and kia now has a transmission tcm reprograming for the shift delay from 2nd to 3rd gear they also have a reprograming for the misfire on the fortes please let me know if more info is needed here to help
Thanks.... I will pass this on to my Service Manager.

When will the TCM flash be available? :)

·
Registered
2010 Forte SX Corsa Blue
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rick528 -

Please get us the number of the TCM that KIA has come up with.... there's lots of owners here that want to get this annoying problem fixed!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2010 Silver KIA Forte SX
49 Posts
I just checked the TSB's at: www.kiatechinfo.com (by the way, this site is available to anyone who wants to register for access) and the only transmission TSB listed for the Forte is for manual transmissions--- "KMA is conducting a Service Action in relation to some 2010 MY Forte Sedan and Koup with 2.0l engines equipped with manual transaxles and no cruise control. Some vehicles may experience a shift shock during the 2-3 shift due to the rpm control. This pCM upgrade will lower the RpM range during the shift to reduce shock complaint on vehicles produced prior to August 19, 2009."

It is TSB # KT2009102901 issued on October 29th.

Strange that this would be the case, since shift shock should only be associated with auto trannys---you wouldn't have shift shock when you a using a clutch--unless you didn't know how to use a clutch!

There is nothing mentioned about automatic transmissions at all.

As a side note, I test drove 2 different SX's before buying. The other one (the one that I didn't buy) had this same problem with the shift shock between 2nd and 3rd gears. The one that i DID buy did not have this problem on the test drive, nor since (1800 miles).

·
Registered
2010 Forte SX Corsa Blue
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ferdy -

Thanks for that interesting point of information.... so now we have 2 separate cases of tranny operation.... "normal" and "shift-jerk"..... I hope getting the transmission re-booted/reset will fix this....

·
Registered
2010 Silver KIA Forte SX
49 Posts
To the folks that are experiencing this problem, there are a couple of things that I would try before seeking service. Turn the ETC (Electronic Traction Control) off and see if this corrects the problem--if so, you have more information to give to the service department. The second thing that I would try would be to disconnect the negative battery terminal cable from the car and then reconnecting. This will reset the ECM (Electronic Control Module--which also controls the transmission as well as other functions of the car) and may result in correcting the shift problem. If you do decide to try this, remember that you may have to reset all of your custom settings such as the clock, radio, etc. as their memory will probably be lost.

·
Registered
37 Posts
To the folks that are experiencing this problem, there are a couple of things that I would try before seeking service. Turn the ETC (Electronic Traction Control) off and see if this corrects the problem--if so, you have more information to give to the service department. The second thing that I would try would be to disconnect the negative battery terminal cable from the car and then reconnecting. This will reset the ECM (Electronic Control Module--which also controls the transmission as well as other functions of the car) and may result in correcting the shift problem. If you do decide to try this, remember that you may have to reset all of your custom settings such as the clock, radio, etc. as their memory will probably be lost.
It also does the hard shift with the ETC 'off '

·
Registered
2010 Silver KIA Forte SX
49 Posts
It also does the hard shift with the ETC 'off '
In that case, if you don't want to try the battery disconnect, it appears that you have no other option except to seek service.

Good luck---I hope that KIA can get the problem resolved for you--as well as the others who seem to have the same trouble.

Please post back with results so we all can be informed.

·
Registered
2010 Forte SX Sedan, 2.4L Gas, 5spd Auto
78 Posts
I just checked the TSB's at: www.kiatechinfo.com (by the way, this site is available to anyone who wants to register for access) and the only transmission TSB listed for the Forte is for manual transmissions--- "KMA is conducting a Service Action in relation to some 2010 MY Forte Sedan and Koup with 2.0l engines equipped with manual transaxles and no cruise control. Some vehicles may experience a shift shock during the 2-3 shift due to the rpm control. This pCM upgrade will lower the RpM range during the shift to reduce shock complaint on vehicles produced prior to August 19, 2009."

It is TSB # KT2009102901 issued on October 29th.

Strange that this would be the case, since shift shock should only be associated with auto trannys---you wouldn't have shift shock when you a using a clutch--unless you didn't know how to use a clutch!

There is nothing mentioned about automatic transmissions at all.

As a side note, I test drove 2 different SX's before buying. The other one (the one that I didn't buy) had this same problem with the shift shock between 2nd and 3rd gears. The one that i DID buy did not have this problem on the test drive, nor since (1800 miles).
Service Action SA020 Is supposed to solve this issue.

Service Action SA025 does make some programming changes to the A/T as well..

If you click on the above links, it will take to a copy of the first page of the bulletin.

1 - 20 of 346 Posts