Kia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
192 Posts
I think the intention of the website is great but it is also a bit flawed because I feel people do not always report properly, example:

Or people have a lot higher numbers while reporting a lot of city driving, I feel the City versus Highway split messes up a bit the numbers because a lot of people won't report it accurately.
Exactly. Statistics are only as good as the data being entered in, and i have no idea who these people are that are putting in the numbers. Could be all the same people negotiating their car deals based on an 8 year loan payment for all we know

·
Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
192 Posts
I've seen people with non-hybrid Corollas claiming like 58 mpg. No, that's a physical impossibility. But if you account for anomalies like that, I have found the site to be significantly more accurate than what the manufacturer's claim their vehicles can get. I've owned a lot of cars and trucks, and I'm usually pretty close to the average on fuelly
my previous car was a 2012 v6 Journey. I checked the site the other day since I had 9 years of my own data with it as opposed to 9 days in my Kia. I forget the details now but I’m pretty sure the avg posted on the site was just under 20. In 9 years, I never once recorded a tank under 20, and was often in the 24-25 range. Up in the 28-29 range for almost two years, and hit 31 a few times.

if i end up maxing out at 35 in a 5500lb 3 row Kia, i will be more than pleased. I’m almost certain I’ll be quite a bit higher.
Edit: wrong number. Weight is considerably less. I knew 55 seemed crazy high.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorrento SX White with grey interior
18 Posts
27.something is the best I got 3 times. that was on paper and not the lie-o-meter with
7,800 miles on the car.
I found the car meter to be off at least 1 mpg ( less than it should be) Have gotten 26 mpg 3 times.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige - X-Line (a mouth full)
154 Posts
I'm happy with mpg with 21' AWD turbo. I can pretty easily get 26-27mpg going to work and back taking either the highway (14miles) or local streets (9 miles). And going from sea elevation to 8000' and back with 3 adults, two large dogs, luggage, and a loaded bike rack on the hitch, get this result (30.5mpg return trip and average 24.9mpg for the tank which was filled at the beginning of the trip) and that is without being shy to drive 80mph when possible or to pass slow cars regularly (but being gentle with gas and brakes when possible as well). This trip was in "Smart" mode:

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento Hybrid EX
52 Posts
I'm happy with mpg with 21' AWD turbo. I can pretty easily get 26-27mpg going to work and back taking either the highway (14miles) or local streets (9 miles). And going from sea elevation to 8000' and back with 3 adults, two large dogs, luggage, and a loaded bike rack on the hitch, get this result (30.5mpg return trip and average 24.9mpg for the tank which was filled at the beginning of the trip) and that is without being shy to drive 80mph when possible or to pass slow cars regularly (but being gentle with gas and brakes when possible as well). This trip was in "Smart" mode: View attachment 119814
You know that can be off by as much as 4 MPG.

·
Registered
2021 kia Sorento sx prestige xLine Aruba Green black interior. With smart mirror.
61 Posts
I have driven 6000 miles under various conditions and never have recorded greater than 21.something. mostly 20.simethinh. never hit 22 mpg or higher.
Have tried differnt drive sect modes.
I haven't filled my tank. Recorded miles and a refuel.
I guess that's my next process to cross check gages with actual fuel usage.

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige - X-Line (a mouth full)
154 Posts
I have driven 6000 miles under various conditions and never have recorded greater than 21.something. mostly 20.simethinh. never hit 22 mpg or higher.
Have you gotten close to EPA mpg in other cars? If not then it may be driving habits that are wasting gas. One example is being heavy on the gas in general and staying on the gas until you brake and also braking late... Contrasted with being light on the gas much of time and letting off the gas when up to speed and then just feathering the gas when possible to maintain speed and then letting off completely well before stops, etc.

·
Registered
2021 kia Sorento sx prestige xLine Aruba Green black interior. With smart mirror.
61 Posts
Yes I have exceeded EPA estimates. On my BMW I average over epa by six mpg.
Driving to Colorado and Florida I use cruse control except going through cities. I accelerate normally as others in traffic and don't drive to braking. I'll be aware of your recommendations on my way back to Maryland from Cape Coral.
Thanks.

·
Registered
471 Posts
East coast gas sucks, especially in MD. It used to only be in the winter but now they screw with it year around. I find I get 3-4 miles to the gallon less when I fill up here

·
Registered
'21 Sorento SX Prestige X-Line 2.5T AWD
1 Posts
I have learned that the only way to achieve peak average MPG in my 2.5T is to forget about quick acceleration. Even in ECO mode.

On my last non-commute drive, which was a touch over 600 miles on the east coast, I was able to get almost 28 MPG (4 humans, packed car). I watched that MPG gauge on the dash like a hawk because I was deliberately trying to get it as high as possible while still keeping the family happy. I never gunned it from a dead stop, and never accelerated quickly when on the road. I thought that was the trick to max MPG: all highway, no fun.

Since I've been home, I've experimented with in-town driving, and I've learned the true secret: no fun. The test is easy:

- Fill your tank and put it in ECO.
- Baby the engine as much as possible for about 3/4 tank.
- Gun it a few times from a dead stop to speed limit, while still in ECO, and watch your tank average MPG go down.
- Spend the rest of the tank trying to get your average back up.

There may be engines that are more overall efficient, but this is not one of them. The weak spot in the 2.5T is acceleration, and it's thirsty.

·
Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
192 Posts
I have learned that the only way to achieve peak average MPG in my 2.5T is to forget about quick acceleration. Even in ECO mode.

On my last non-commute drive, which was a touch over 600 miles on the east coast, I was able to get almost 28 MPG (4 humans, packed car). I watched that MPG gauge on the dash like a hawk because I was deliberately trying to get it as high as possible while still keeping the family happy. I never gunned it from a dead stop, and never accelerated quickly when on the road. I thought that was the trick to max MPG: all highway, no fun.

Since I've been home, I've experimented with in-town driving, and I've learned the true secret: no fun. The test is easy:

• Fill your tank and put it in ECO.
  • Baby the engine as much as possible for about 3/4 tank.
  • Gun it a few times from a dead stop to speed limit, while still in ECO, and watch your tank average MPG go down.
  • Spend the rest of the tank trying to get your average back up.

There may be engines that are more overall efficient, but this is not one of them. The weak spot in the 2.5T is acceleration, and it's thirsty.
the hybrid is no different. Doesn’t take much to throw off the tank average

·
Registered
61 Posts
Have you gotten close to EPA mpg in other cars? If not then it may be driving habits that are wasting gas. One example is being heavy on the gas in general and staying on the gas until you brake and also braking late... Contrasted with being light on the gas much of time and letting off the gas when up to speed and then just feathering the gas when possible to maintain speed and then letting off completely well before stops, etc.
Drove home from Florida. I filled up and drove smart mode. About 300 miles. Cruse control 75 MPH.
GOT 27.5 MPG best ever.
Drove rest 750 miles with and W/O cruise control 80 /85 moh and averaged 22.5.
So I guess when you go over 75 and do a lot of passing its 22.5 average. It's impossible for me to drive long trips at speed limit. So I will be happy with what I get. I must say it drives so well and so comfortable at speed that I'll accept what I get.

Also nowhere along the way at interstate 75 or 95 was 97 octane gas over $2.99 gallon. Low as $2.85 .

·
Registered
'21 Sorento Hybrid EX
192 Posts
Drove home from Florida. I filled up and drove smart mode. About 300 miles. Cruse control 75 MPH.
GOT 27.5 MPG best ever.
Drove rest 750 miles with and W/O cruise control 80 /85 moh and averaged 22.5.
So I guess when you go over 75 and do a lot of passing its 22.5 average. It's impossible for me to drive long trips at speed limit. So I will be happy with what I get. I must say it drives so well and so comfortable at speed that I'll accept what I get.

Also nowhere along the way at interstate 75 or 95 was 97 octane gas over $2.99 gallon. Low as $2.85 .
Cruising at 75 and getting 27mpg isn't half bad. I found on my ~700 miles journey that I can usually achieve better efficiency than the cruise control does. I think it just can't anticipate hills and traffic and it over compensates far too much, but boy does that gas pedal get firm after being in a car for 8 hours straight.

·
Registered
Soon to be 2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line- Aruba Green owner
88 Posts
I will rarely go over 70 on a long trip. I'm hoping to see some stellar numbers.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Cruising at 75 and getting 27mpg isn't half bad. I found on my ~700 miles journey that I can usually achieve better efficiency than the cruise control does. I think it just can't anticipate hills and traffic and it over compensates far too much, but boy does that gas pedal get firm after being in a car for 8 hours straight.
Yes I know what you mean. I drove 17 hours straight. 1,045 miles.

·
Registered
Soon to be 2021 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-Line- Aruba Green owner
88 Posts
BTW - This is the post I was referring to with the terrible mileage. I mean - unless you lived on the side of Mount Everest - you should get over 22 MPG on the highway at least. :)

·
Registered
2021 Sorento X-Line, 2.5T Silver
18 Posts
Yes, that makes sense , you should be able to get to around 28 then, just be sure that the traffic is light, because Cruise has a tendency to break and accelerate too much compared to what you can do yourself.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,003 Posts
A few posts deleted for violation of the forum rules - personal attacks are not permitted, and repeat offenders will lose their posting rights.

Reactions: Snatchell

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sorento Hybrid EX
52 Posts
At least I don't believe everything I read on the internet.

If you are getting "bad fuel mileage" remember to take into account various factors that are beyond the the control of the vehicle. Don't waste your money on fuel additives unless you have a specific reason to, as 90% of fuel since like 1994 has required various fuel detergents. So called "top tier" gas is literally a marketing ploy and if a company want to advertise it, they have to pay for the privilege. No different than IP waterproof ratings or CrossFit. It's scam. If you truly believe you are getting worse fuel mileage, then just take it to a tire shop and pay the $80 to check it. But I'm pretty sure it's not the issue.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts