Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Korea, one English grammer professor criticized the name "sportage" is not adequate for the car name. He said it's hardly to imagine the total brand image with that name.

Its a mixture of SPORTs, mAss and prestiGE actually. (Did you know that?)
Even though you didn't know that, how do you think about this brand name?

When I heard of sportage, it sounds great personally.

I want to hear your opinion and recommendation.
Thanks~

·
Registered
4 Posts
the name is ok, but i'm not particularly crazy with it :) When people ask, I say I drive an SPT... that leaves them wondering as to wth I drive.

·
Registered
282 Posts
When I first heard the name, it struck me as something that an "English as a second language" person came up with. It just doesn't sound like an English word; in fact it sounds like a grammar mistake.

Having said that, now that I've gotten used to the name, it's alright. To me, the vehicle's reputation has eclipsed the name (in a good way) and I would have been disappointed if they would have dropped it for the new generation. Kia is starting to roll; changing the names would create an air of instability and there's really no reason for that.

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage
209 Posts
Its a good name, and it suits well with their other makes as well- Sorento, Spectra, Sedona, I think thats all of em that I can remember at the moment but yeah, you get the drift. Its been like that since 1994 and I hope they dont change it. Otherwise they might end up like GM changing cavalier to cobalt and people asking "Whats a Cobalt?" Why, its the new cavalier... "Oh..." Bad marketing, if a name works, keep it. It will keep people familar with the product

1 - 7 of 7 Posts