Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI I AM NEW TO THE FORUM. I HAVE A 1998 KIA SPORTAGE 4X4 AUTO AND I HAVE BEEN PRETTY HAPPY WITH THE CAR SO FAR. RECENTLY THE CAR HAS DEVELOPED A ROUGH IDLE AND HAS NO POWER FROM A STOP. AFTER GETTING TO ABOUT 3000 RPMS THE CAR WILL SURGE AND FEELS LIKE IT RUNS LIKE NORMAL. I HAVE DONE ALL THE PREV. MAINT YOU CAN IMAGINE AND AS FAR AS I KNOW IS UP TO DATE WITH THE RECALLS. IF ANYONE HAS INFO ABOUT WHAT PARTS CAN CAUSE THIS PROB OR HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS I COULD USE YOU HELP.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Where are you located? Not sure what "napa" is. Need to know before suggesting some actions because your Sportage could be OBD-I compliant or OBD-II compliant.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sounds like the same problem I had a little while ago. For me, it ended up that one of my Spark Plugs was misfiring and all i had to do was change em. Have you looked into that?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NAPA IS IN CALIFORNIA NEAR SANFRANCSICO. IT HAS OBD 2 EQUIPPED ON IT. AS FAR AS THE SPARK PLUGS GO I REPLACED THEM ABOUT 3 MONTHS AGO WITH NKG PLUGS. THANKS FOR THE QUICK REPLY.

·
Registered
11 Posts
<_< Just got up to date on the kia forum, have had a similar problem that i encountered about 6 months ago. Here goes, I also have a 97 sportage, and i had no power whatsoever and at ttimes could not go over 10 miles an hour. My son and i thought it over and decided to replace the catalytic convertor, Guess what? No more problems it was as simple as that. Hope this helps. If it does give me a shout on the forum. Good luck---DZCOOK

1 - 5 of 5 Posts