Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 99 Sportage with 93k miles. Despite reading all the horror stories in this forum I decided to tempt fate. I saw numerous complaints about the check engine light but didn't think it would happen to me. Well after driving 300 miles guess what came on? The CEL came on and I noticed a power decrease almost immediately, erratic idle and sometimes during acceleration it would cut out like it was going to stall but it wouldn't. I decided to do a tune-up: sparkplugs, air filter and throttle body cleaning. When I got to the plugs, I noticed the back 2 center sections in between the cylinders where filled to the top with oil, the 2 rear plugs were completely submerged in oil. I took the valve cover off soaked up all the oil, replaced the gasket, put new plugs in, cleaned the throttle valves, and cleaned the battery terminals.

The check engine light went off when I disconnected the battery and stayed off, the Sportage now runs great, more power and steady idle I can even go up hills now in 5th gear.

I hope this helps anybody who might be having problems.

Now I have to figure out why the 4wheel drive light stays on all the time and I have to fix that annoying exhaust rattle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
THanks for posting this message about your kia sportage.. mine is doing the same thing.. I bought it used..

My mechanic is a great guy.. I was trying to help him out by doing some research on my own..

Have you had any problems since you're discovery of this solution>>??

SHould i go ahead and get the spark plugs and air filter??

·
Registered
1999 Kia Sportage
10 Posts
Any ideas on the source of the oil? May want to check it periodically to see if the cam cover gasket is continuing to leak.

Dennis

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 99 Sportage has the same problem. I did all you did and the only result was the CEL went off temporarily. Any ideas? :liebe011:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Originally posted by dpw928@Jul 17 2005, 07:21 AM
Any ideas on the source of the oil? May want to check it periodically to see if the cam cover gasket is continuing to leak.

Dennis

The source of the oil is the cam cover gasket leaking internally to the spark plug wells. The gasket seals around the outside perimeter of the cam cover as well as an internal seal around the area where the plugs are. It is very common for the gasket to start leaking internally and it oil soaks the coils and plug wires. The usual result is a misfire. Replacement of the cam cover gasket is the only solution but it is not difficult to do. The procedure for replacement can be found here:

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php...=5&o=14&fpart=1

·
Registered
349 Posts
Originally posted by dutchshot@Jul 18 2005, 04:34 AM
My 99 Sportage has the same problem. I did all you did and the only result was the CEL went off temporarily. Any ideas? :liebe011:

Have the engine computer (ECM) scanned for trouble code readout. Any Autozone will perform this service for free. Even if the CEL goes off the codes remain stored in the ECM for readout.

The codes will be formatted PXXXX, where XXXX will be a series of numbers. Get all the codes that scan out and post them here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Codes were P0303, P0300, & P0302 . The car has almost no power when first started in AM. Gains power the longer it runs. Never stops misfiring on acceleration which is bad as I drive mountain roads. :blush:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Originally posted by dutchshot@Jul 18 2005, 01:03 PM
Codes were P0303, P0300, & P0302 . The car has almost no power when first started in AM. Gains power the longer it runs. Never stops misfiring on acceleration which is bad as I drive mountain roads. :blush:

Those are all misfire codes. P0300 is "random misfire". P0302 is misfire on cylinder 2. P0303 is misfire on cylinder 3.

Cylinders 2 and 3 share a common coil. I would immediately suspect that coil. And if you find ANY oil on the coil then the cam cover gasket has popped a leak.

Don't continue to run the vehicle in this condition. You WILL damage the cat convertor and have even bigger problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did you ever find the source of the oil???????

This could be a sign of a clogged PVC.

If the PVC valve is clogged, pressure builds up in the valve cover and pushes the oil out the gasket.

That is what happened on mine.

If you replace the gasket & not the PVC, the oil will continue to be pushed out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Originally posted by Axe Man@Jul 19 2005, 04:56 AM
Those are all misfire codes. P0300 is "random misfire". P0302 is misfire on cylinder 2. P0303 is misfire on cylinder 3.

Cylinders 2 and 3 share a common coil. I would immediately suspect that coil. And if you find ANY oil on the coil then the cam cover gasket has popped a leak.

Don't continue to run the vehicle in this condition. You WILL damage the cat convertor and have even bigger problems.
I finally replaced the 2-3 coil and the plug wires( 1 broke as I was pulling it from the coil ) Since then all is right with it! thamks Axe Man

1 - 11 of 11 Posts