Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2017 AWD Sportage SX - Black / Beige
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm retiring my old, fast, ride, my '82 280ZX Turbo. Its pretty much done, 417,000+ km and still runs good, but the body is done and its not really safe to drive and I don't want to put money into it, and if feels like a bucket of bolts to drive compared to my new Rondo, until of course you put your foot into, but I digress.........

........so, I'm finding that 175 hp isn't really doing it for me. Anybody done anything like adding a sugercharger to the 2.4l engine? I figger even 6 psi of boost outta bump the hp to 225-250 maybe.

I'm wondering what the transmission will thing about that and how well it will hold up, so any insight or info would be appreciated.

Modifying cars like this isn't new to me, the 280zx got an HKS upgrade at 200,000 km that really perked it up and now I'm thinking I might like to play with my Rondo.

·
Registered
2009 Rondo EX 2.4L - 7 seater with custom decals
64 Posts
My opinion... I think you should have considered buying the V6 2.7 with 192HP and 5 speeds instead of 4 for an extra 1000$ and then start from there to modify it. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
I agree. V6 would provide more fun. And in my opinion - V6 deals well enough with Rondo.
On the other hand - Rondo is not a sporty car. Its too big and too high (tall).

Regardless all above. Remember that by doing this you will void warranty. Completely. KIA would not accept anything (trans, engine, suspension, body) because engine would be much stronger than it was designed. And body would have to hold this extra stress.

I would start with chip. Do some software play, maybe polish intake (oh, can't do that - it's plastic). When you cross 100k miles mark, or warranty is not needed anymore - start supercharging it.

Or rent V6 for couple of days and see if it performs better. Sell yours, and buy V6.

·
Registered
2017 AWD Sportage SX - Black / Beige
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Geee, you guys are no fun :(

In Canada I believe they would have to cover warranty work unless they could prove the modifications were the direct cause of the failure. Now of course I realize that any drive train problem, even front suspension problem would be a hard sell for warranty work if I supercharged the engine. the rest of the car however shouldn't be affected, FWIW. And I certainly understand that drive train is the largest warranty benefit.

I've driven the V6 and honestly, i don't think its much quicker than the 2.4l and doesn't feel like it has as much bottom end as the 4. to me it seemed a little less torquey below 3500 rpm than the 2.4 when I forced it to stay in gear with the shiftronic, although the extra gear in the tranny no doubt confuses things a little.

I think looking under the hood of both, the 2.4 would be the easier car to modify given there is much more room under the hood, especially at the rear between the engine and firewall. Maybe room for a turbo back there.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, I'm still looking around.

·
Registered
2007 Rondo EX V6
45 Posts
Sloppy - I think its a brilliant idea! Go for it! Of course I can say that because it's someone else's money, but it is nice to see the seed being planted.

I'd really enjoy some reports on any performance mods that people have done - how about a true dual exhaust system on a V6? Cold air intake? I'd think that there's some aftermarket suppliers out there, but honestly, I haven't looked.

Just as long as there's no reports of fart-can exhausts or stickers that increase your horsepower, I'm all for it.

·
Registered
07 Rondo EX Premium (7seater)
48 Posts
I'd say check with the Kia Magentis/Optima guys. I think it's the only other Kia with the 2.4 and they would be more likely to get into a project like this. I do agree though, it could use a little 'ooomph'. Let me know what you discover, I may be interested in this as well. Maybe it will keep up with my 300hp/400tq Boosted Volvo wagon :)

·
Registered
2007 Rondo EX V6
45 Posts
BC - I like your thinking, but I don't believe that they are the same engine architecture: the PT engine was designed at the beginning of that model run a number of years ago, whereas the joint venture started later (not sure of the exact years of each). In any case, the bore and stroke dimensions of the 2.4 engine are different:

Rondo - 3.46 x 3.82 inches
PT - 3.44 x 3.98 inches

Not saying it can't be done, but it's definitely not going to be a bolt-on application.

·
Registered
07 Rondo EX Premium (7seater)
48 Posts
further research shows that the bore and stroke appear to be the same......

bore and Stroke 3.46x3.82

Chrysler World Engines

i am thinking 285hp in a Rondo would be a blast

so we may be onto something :banana:
Why not find a motor out of a wrecked SRT4 and swap the turbo goodies onto the rondo motor. The SRT4 motor is a variation of the 2.4 'world motor'. Or just swap the whole motor and engine wiring/ecu in.

Just remember if you do go with a custom setup, or the chrysler SC setup, you will need to have someone do the custom tuning. Depending on the amount of boost you look at putting to the motor, the stock ecu may go bananas and possibly retard the timing too much. Also, as I'm sure you're aware, keep a sharp eye on the AF as if you run too lean... kapow goes the motor. My biggest concern would be the trans. Definately get a cooler on it.

Good luck! Looking forward to a build thread.:)

·
Registered
08 Vette, 03 Hayabusa
410 Posts
You might consider an engine swap, the V6 out of the Sedona seems pretty peppy. Have no idea whether it would fit. Swaps are a lot more difficult now than in the earlier days, mostly due to the electronics.

·
Registered
'12 Soul + '12 Soul ! '12 VStar 1300T
221 Posts
Oh,heck,just put a 5.3 GM V/8 from a GP/SS/Super front drive! ;-) Prolly get better mlg @ 80mph than the 2.4 anyway! Seriously,the 2.4 is a good running engine in cooler weather,but high temps with a/c on bring it down in traffic,as w/most cars. Try & appreciate that we HAVE the 2.4 & 2.7. In many countries,1.6 & 2.0 4s are the only 'petral' motors. At least wait till the 5/60 is up if you want to experiment,because you'll likely get grief on warranty work of any kind doing a turbo or blower mod.

·
Registered
09 kia rondo 2.4
12 Posts
Old post i know but anybody swapped motor from 2011 hyundai sonota? I think my 2.4 is pooched just wondering what parts would be needed. Same block i believe

·
Registered
Gen 1 Vanilla Soul Shaker 1.6 crdi Auto 2013
1,499 Posts
Hello Sloppy ae you after using a super charger or a turbo.
Mercedes used supercharger, no turbo lag and would be kind to transmission,.
Extra drive on bottom pulley and bolts on side of engine.

Jeff

1 - 16 of 16 Posts