Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...

What is the type of engine oil suitable for 1997 sportage? I' thinking to use the fully synthetic oil but the mechanic told me that it isn't suitable for sportage engine due to it low viscosity. is it true?

Thanks...

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage
209 Posts
I actually run 5w-30 full synthetic valvoline in mine, and it seems to do just fine. Ive run it in there ever since I bought it almost a year ago. And viscosity is the thickness and lubricity of the oil. Im not sure why your mechanic told you it had viscosity problems because full synthetic is some of the best oil you can buy for newer aluminum engines like the ones in the new Kia's. Just be sure you run 5w-30 for above 0 degrees F and 5w-20 for below 0 degrees F. Too thick of a motor oil is just that, too thick, and it doesnt get between parts properly while too thin doesnt stay in the bearings an hold up under the pressures of the motor very well. But as far as I know, full synthetic is just fine... But a word of warning, stay away from Mobil 1 *cringes* I lost an engine to that stuff awhile back, but Valvoline and Castrol are good. And another tip, once you start running full synthetic, dont change, always run full synthetic because the engine will "wear" to the oil and if you change it to a lower rating of oil it may damage it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rale. I think i will run 5w-30 on my next oil change since the temperature in my country always go above 70 degrees F.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Whether you use a synthetic or dino oil in your Sportage is strictly a matter of personal preferance. Both types will give you good service. The correct viscosity to use in most climates is 5W-30. If you live in a climate that sees temperatures consistently above 100 degrees F then a good 10W-40 can be used. I would NOT recommend 5W-20 in the DOHC engine.

If you run dino change it every 3K miles. Synthetic you can generally go 6K miles or more.

What oils are good? Any recognised name brand. Valvoline, Pennzoil, Havoline, Castrol, etc.

Mobil1 not a good synthetic? That's flat out untrue. Something else was wrong with your engine to cause it to fail. Other good synthetic is Castrol Syntec.

Another urban legend: You cannot switch back and forth between synthetic and dino. Simply not true.

·
Registered
8 Posts
interesting, so you CAN change after having used synthetic oil back to regular oil?

No one ever told me that before.
Good to know.

I have always asked for MOBIL oil for all teh cars that I have been driving for about 25 years ( my very first vacation job was in a Mobil storage place... you see:)

I also read that the sportage 2.0 L DOHC was a new engine?
Gee, I must have been lied to a lot then.... and been reading the wrong books about KIA. I was believeing that the KIA engine in the Sportage was actually a DATSUN/NISSAN product , more then 20 years old that had undergone a few adjustments = upgrade you could say. Again, I was wrong..
Learning a lot today!

Jean-Pierre

·
Registered
349 Posts
Originally posted by uvodee@Dec 17 2005, 04:39 PM
interesting, so you CAN change after having used synthetic oil back to regular oil?

No one ever told me that before.
Good to know.

I have always asked for MOBIL oil for all teh cars that I have been driving for about 25 years ( my very first vacation job was in a Mobil storage place... you see:)

I also read that the sportage 2.0 L DOHC was a new engine?
Gee, I must have been lied to a lot then.... and been reading the wrong books about KIA. I was believeing that the KIA engine in the Sportage was actually a DATSUN/NISSAN product , more then 20 years old that had undergone a few adjustments = upgrade you could say. Again, I was wrong..
Learning a lot today!
Jean-Pierre

The Sportage DOHC engine was derived from the Mazda FE family of engines.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been told that switching between fully synth oil and standard castor based oil is ok as long as you run an engine flush through each time you change between the two . Although once your running synthetic oil why would you want to change back?? I have also used mobil 1 oil and found it to be perfect. Although if i run it in my 1989 BMW the engine is very noisy and have switched to a semi synth oil which is slightly more viscous 10-40w. If the spec of oil is correct for the engine you shouldn't have a problem. Also as a matter of info , dont poo poo unbranded oils. A friend of mine worked for an oil company (texaco) and they sold their oil to a company called COMMA . It was texaco oil that was in their plastic cans .
The best way is to check all the codes and specs of the oil against the manufacturers recommendations you will find you can save yourself lots of pounds and pennies

cheers
lee
:banana: :banana:

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage
18 Posts
Hi
Firs as far I know the first number mean the thicknes of the oil/weight/,
the next number is how oily /greasy/ is the oil-the Q of lubricasy.The newer
the car is/low milege/ the smaller the space is between parts and the thinner
oil you need.Whith the car getting older the space between parts getting greater
and thicker oil is needed.The best brand I think is valvoline and next I am for castrol-nothing else should go near the engine/exept BP in england/.The difference between syntetic and mineral oil is-synt is fully man made and keep
its thiknes when engine is getting verry hot/no thermal break down/ ,while
mineral oil if is thick 5 /5w30/ when engine get hot actualy will be 2.75-3.85
I would say for engine over 50 000 miles 10w40 is the choice.And if you change
from syntetic oil to mineral oil there is nothing to be affreid of.If you dont flush the engine is no problem,but is better if you flush it.Here in USA is given different
info to car owners so by chusing not the best oil your car gets broken quckly.
the best choice by my knolege:0-20000miles 0w60 full synt-not available in USA
20000-30000miles 5w60 full synt-not av in usa
30000-50000miles 10w50 semi-synt
50000-120000miles 10w40/10w50/ mineral oil
120000-till deth 20w50 mineral oil
Not nesecerely everybody will agree with me.I worked with valvoline for a few years,there I learn it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts