Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my Sorento only has the base 6-speaker audio system, I am looking to replace the four door speakers. This stereo isn't bad in iPod mode, but Sirius and FM lacks in sound quality. P.Bass is useless when anything above Low is selected.

My Audio guy said he will drill out the rivets holding my factory speakers in and use aftermarket spacers for the new speakers. I like this because I can install my old speakers if need be in the future.

What do you guys recommend me use for the replacements? I just want a simple remove and replace. No Amplifiers or anything like that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
Race Blue MY12 Skoda Octavia RS TDI Manual
929 Posts
I replaced all 4 mid-range speakers in my Sorento.
I also replaced both tweeters, but put the stock ones back in, because the audio volume was far too high on the aftermarket ones.
Stock ones have a small capacitor attached to them, which brings the volume down a little.

Honestly, though. The stock speakers are okay. Tweeters are nice, mid-range... Eh.
Replace the mid range ones with some good aftermarkets, and you'll do fine. :D

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
I really like Polk audio speakers, good all around, plus clean tight Bass response. They are a bit pricey, but well worth it,,, but, your radio may not have enough power to drive them? ask around.

My 2nd choice is Pioneer speaker, best bang for the buck, and don't require a lot of power to drive.

Cheap, no name speakers could be loud, & tinny sounding, as the other poster mentioned.

I used to also use Jensen speakers, they're like the Pioneers, but I don't know if they're still around?

·
Registered
2012 AWD Sorento GDI EX
55 Posts
speakers

I noticed the Kia doors seem to get water in them, so, the water resistant Polks would be a good idea.

Speakers are very personal. I would listen to them and form a decision.

Sometimes the tone of a speaker can be changed with sound dampening material added to the doors.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento EX V6 AWD
16 Posts
I went with Polk DXi 650s for front and DXi 650 for the rear. they sound way better than stock but i will add a sub to them eventually as there still isn't great bass.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
I'm wondering if the other speakers would sound better if relieved of low-end duty. If there was a relatively painless way of putting something like an Infinity Basslink in the cabin, that might be something I'd be interested in doing.

Best,

·
Registered
263 Posts
Can't go wrong with Pioneer or Alpine since they are one of the best in the industry. I would suggest Bose but that won't happen.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went with Polk DXi 650s for front and DXi 650 for the rear. they sound way better than stock but i will add a sub to them eventually as there still isn't great bass.
Thanks for the suggestion! So these are just a simple remove the old speakers, install the Polks? Thanks!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses. I enjoy my bass. I find the stock speakers put out a decent amount of bass but its very hallow when turned up loud. I had a powered Subwoofer in my old 02' Pathfinder and it made a huge difference.

I'm just looking for a good all around speaker.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I finally got around to getting some stuff ordered. Called my sound guy and he recommended these to me. Funny thing is that I already had them picked out.

The speaker is a 2-way Clarion SRG1622R. I ordered four. Really excited to see what it is going to sound like once its done. The stock system in these things really does suck.

Sorento goes in Thursday, I'll be posting a sound demonstration before and after in install.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Install is complete. I decided to do it myself because it seemed fairly easy. That it was. The hardest part was getting the door panels off...which wasn't even hard.

Unfortunately I had to destroy my factory speakers but it's not like they were worth keeping anyways.

I highly reccomend anyone with the factory 6-Speaker system to do this upgrade.

If I can do it myself, anyone can!

Since no one has posted a video demonstration...here I go

·
Registered
2011 Sorento ex
2 Posts
Hi new member here I have a 11 sorento ex luxury my rear door speakers are pitiful can barely hear them they sound like they are half the power of the front ones is this normal it is the base cd system

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi new member here I have a 11 sorento ex luxury my rear door speakers are pitiful can barely hear them they sound like they are half the power of the front ones is this normal it is the base cd system
Yep, Even after I upgraded my speakers all around, the rears still sounded less audible. Either way upgrading the rears was an improvement over the stock speakers.

The new speakers really shine when you use your iPod, iPhone or play a CD. Sound quality over Sirius and FM is good, but not great.

It really needs a small subwoofer to complete the setup.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
Good video thanks for posting. Speakers sound good though like you said cant tell the difference over a youtube video. I can tell though that your able to turn in up a lot farther then I can with my stock. So you left the upper tweeters stock then, can you notice any distortion when turned up all the way? I figured I would be good to leave them since they dont produce any bass distortion would not be noticeable.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,153 Posts
Sorry RentoEX, but IMO from my experience, Clarion are not really good speakers,,, they are inexpensive, & tinny sounding. Probably better then stock, but not nearly as good as the other brands I, & others have mentioned.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry RentoEX, but IMO from my experience, Clarion are not really good speakers,,, they are inexpensive, & tinny sounding. Probably better then stock, but not nearly as good as the other brands I, & others have mentioned.
Do the job just fine for what I need it for!

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
I always thought clarion were a good mid upper level brand kinda like pioneer, but that was back in the day and I have no experience with there speakers. Anything must be better then stock though.
Well rento you never answered my question from previous post about tweeters. And let us know what you figure out for a sub, that is what im truly interested in, I like my bass.:D

·
Registered
Carnival EX Limited
83 Posts
Horses for courses. If the man's happy, let him be happy. Speaker choice is subjective preference. And in my experience, the end result is more to do with the door "enclosure" than choice of speakers. Unless you're going to invest in sound deadening and improving the door enclosure then there's little point in spending medium to big $ on speakers.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I always thought clarion were a good mid upper level brand kinda like pioneer, but that was back in the day and I have no experience with there speakers. Anything must be better then stock though.
Well rento you never answered my question from previous post about tweeters. And let us know what you figure out for a sub, that is what im truly interested in, I like my bass.:D
Sh!t sorry man I only just saw that now! I crank my system once in a while and there is a little bit of distortion but it's livable. Goes up to about 27 before there is really any distortion.

like I said, the difference over Sirius and FM is noticable, but not crazy...but when you use AUX, CD or stream over bluetooth the sound difference is unreal. Right up there with the Infinity system. Just needs a tad more bass.

The best sub for me would be a powered one. I had one in my old pathfinder hooked up to the stock system and it pounded hard.

Conclusion: Clarion may not be the best, but they are far from the worst. Im not here to enter audio competitions.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts