Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time changing oil in a Sorento. Got in a rush, at night, in the dark, forgot to print the workshop manual pages.. You know where this goes.

Drained the tranny oil pan. Realized it as I see purty red oil in bucket.

Can't find the torque value for that bolt. Anybody know what it is, or can tell me where to find it?

Thanks,
Dummy.

·
Registered
03'VW Passat - mine | 03'Sorento EX 4X4 - hers
234 Posts
Well, for the 2003 Sorento with 4-speed ATF draining bolt torque is 5-7 lbs.ft. At least that specified in manual. I used these specs for several occasions and no problem.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Greetings maksik,

-Thanks- for posting that info., was wondering why that value was posted in the '07 online info at kiatechinfo.com ..

I've removed the info from this post, that torque value did seem to be too high, after looking at it again.

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
I must admit I never actually formally check the torque on these type of things, just hand screw them up until the washer is seated, and then nip them up a little bit more, then check for leaks. I don't think I own a torque wrench that goes down that low!

·
Registered
I now drive a 2020 Ram Bighorn. Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,514 Posts
I must admit I never actually formally check the torque on these type of things, just hand screw them up until the washer is seated, and then nip them up a little bit more, then check for leaks. I don't think I own a torque wrench that goes down that low!
+1 This.

·
Registered
03'VW Passat - mine | 03'Sorento EX 4X4 - hers
234 Posts
Greetings maksik,

-Thanks- for posting that info., was wondering why that value was posted in the '07 online info at kiatechinfo.com ..

I've removed the info from this post, that torque value did seem to be too high, after looking at it again.

Regards,
GottaCruise
Sorry, I didn't respond earlier. I've never seen the drain bolt from '07 Sorento. Torque 21.7~28.9lb-ft could be correct because 1. size of the bolt. 2. pan is made out different material than one for 4-speed AT. As comparison on my VW passat (aluminum engine oil pan) torque is 22-24 lb-ft.

Drain bolt of 4-speed AT is tinny (I think thread is M6), pan is aluminum and washer itself is very soft.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts