Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Rio S UB 2012
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all , I bought my Kia Rio UB S in September last year and all has been great until this morning.

I always listen to music loaded on my USB stick. I have a 32GB stick filled with songs and it has been working perfectly fine.

This morning, I start the car, turn on the radio, it starts doing the usual “Reading media” message and after 5 seconds it says “Connection Error”. I tried different memory sticks and I get same error msg. Different file format make no difference (i.e. NTFS, FAT etc). All other functions of the radio are working perfectly fine. The USB stick is perfectly readable on my PC.

Any ideas what this might be or how to fix this or do I have to take it back to the Kia service shop ?’

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Red Kia Rio SX
11 Posts
Hi all , I bought my Kia Rio UB S in September last year and all has been great until this morning.

I always listen to music loaded on my USB stick. I have a 32GB stick filled with songs and it has been working perfectly fine.

This morning, I start the car, turn on the radio, it starts doing the usual “Reading media” message and after 5 seconds it says “Connection Error”. I tried different memory sticks and I get same error msg. Different file format make no difference (i.e. NTFS, FAT etc). All other functions of the radio are working perfectly fine. The USB stick is perfectly readable on my PC.

Any ideas what this might be or how to fix this or do I have to take it back to the Kia service shop ?’

Thanks in advance.
I'm not sure about on yours but on my '13 SX with UVO there's a little reset button on the front. I was having problems streaming bluetooth audio and I pushed the reset button and let it reboot. Has worked perfectly since.

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
595 Posts
Have experienced this before - replacement stick is an easy solution. I am not techno savvy, but guess that they are easily corrupted/damaged with constant use. Something isn't connecting correctly.
try another stick first, if same, you have problem at the plug-in end rather than the stick. Try the fault(?) stick in another device.

·
Registered
Kia Rio S UB 2012
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have experienced this before - replacement stick is an easy solution. I am not techno savvy, but guess that they are easily corrupted/damaged with constant use. Something isn't connecting correctly.
try another stick first, if same, you have problem at the plug-in end rather than the stick. Try the fault(?) stick in another device.
Thanks for the advice but I already tried another USB stick (I tried 4 other sticks) and I get same error. Also, the USB stick is working perfectly fine in my home PC and my work laptop.

I cant see a reset button on the radio. Here is a pic of it :

http://www.kia.com.au/showroom/~/media/KIA/Car/Features/Rio Reborn/Features_2_307x297.ashx

·
Registered
Kia Rio S UB 2012
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An interesting turn of events. Despite trying number of various USB sticks, I found another stick I had laying around (basic and fairly old Sandisk 4GB) and I loaded it up with few songs and low and behold, it’s all working perfectly fine!

So I went out and bought another 32GB and copying my old 32GB across atm so I’ll see if its working.

I don’t really have time to go to service to get it looked at unless it’s absolutely dead. The other thing I thought I might check is take the fascia out and check the cables at the back of the headunit as I had the unit out when I was re-soldering thicker speaker wires on the stock harness so maybe I did not plug it in properly (although all other functions that connector B serves are working ok) or maybe I squashed some of the USB related cables too much and its getting cut when I put the headunit back in. It only takes few minutes to do this as its really easy.

I wonder if the service centre would give me hard time and not cover warranty because of the modification to the speakers. If they do I don’t mind, its fair enough and I was aware of the risk when doing it.

Shame we cant get the right hand drive fascia so we can upgrade to those nice 7” touch screens floating around ebay for $450 with Win CE 6.0.

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,531 Posts
sometimes you can reset something by simply removing the fuse for the item and replacing it or unhooking the battery too.

·
Registered
Kia Rio S UB 2012
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it might be the USB female connector. When I tried the new stick in it, I kept getting the error. But when I inserted it few times and wiggled with it, it worked!

·
Registered
Rio 2013
2 Posts
I have same what mentioned already of the "connection error" message and "search media" message also radio start by itself and show these messages especially the "serch for media" message. I understood from that behaviour it powering on by itself start looking for the USB thumb drive!!!
So that happens only when I start the car without the USB thumb drive and it takes 15 min then works normal with no more screen messages. BUT if I put ANY USB thumb drive in the usb plug then no problem no messages no auto turning on. How my radio system/device can't function normally without the USB attached...any help please to reset or refresh my radio system...I disconnected the battery overnight and it still the same. Appreciate any ideas?

·
Registered
kia rio 2013
1 Posts
just remove the main fuse that is located in the center of the fuse box
its about 2 fuses combined together and it will reset the system

·
Registered
Rio 2013
2 Posts
Rio 2013 Radio

Thanks for the suggestion, removed the fuse for overnight, hooked in the morning, still shows my saved radio channels and the problem still the same!!, dealer recommendation was either replace the radio/cd unit or keep the USB plugged in (which as I mentioned before if do so then no strange behavior of the radio encounter).
Thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
USB stick has to be formatted in FAT32 with 2048 byte sector size. For all the requirements google (as I cannot paste links here)
Kia Sorento: Using the USB device manual

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,386 Posts
USB stick has to be formatted in FAT32 with 2048 byte sector size. For all the requirements google (as I cannot paste links here)
Kia Sorento: Using the USB device manual
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your User Account/Profile

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

UPDATE: Vehicle Information

Forum Rules

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

·
Registered
Kia Rio LX // Kia Soul
4 Posts
Temperature can also have something to do with it. I have that issue as well and often times removing the stick and reinserting it works fine. Manual states to not have it connected when starting the car/turning on the radio...which nobody will ever do because it would just be too inconvenient.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts