Kia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,'11 Dodge Journey AWD,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Just a short and almost 1 month update:
I'm not on here that often anymore now that I'm "brushing up" on another forum for our newly acquired Pontiac G6. But my Daughter is very happy with the little Spectra at start up now, NO SQUEAL and Power steering effort is back to correct action. She's coming home to visit for the Labor Day weekend... and I'll be "looking the car over" again then.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Well, the daughter has had the Spectra for 3 years now this weekend! and other than "fix ups" it needed when purchased has been relatively trouble free with just normal for age and miles maint. and oil changes. Sitting at 134k miles when she got it, it had 98k miles. Still loves her "Mia Kia"! :)

Reactions: ron1004

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,924 Posts
My daughter-in-law has a 2008 Spectra that we gave her with 168k miles on it to replace her dying 2001 Honda Civic... With some minor front suspension work (struts and tie rod ends),brakes, and tires and an alternator (just worn out)... It is her daily driver... We rescued the car from salvage with 163k miles on it (Driver headlight, and repaired bumper cover)... It now has 178k on it and is trouble free... I/We turned a "Honda" only girl into a KIA believer :)
Dave

Reactions: LAB3

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Well the BIG day arrives next Saturday for my daughter (and her Kia)! Yes she is getting married! Her Fiance has not been allowed to drive her car, even when his FORD(2016 Fusion) has been on the "fritz"! If they go out together in her car...SHE drives! I wonder if this will change after vows are exchanged???? He was brought up drive them hard and then trade it in(can get rather expensive), while she has taken to Dad's way of getting a decent priced vehicle, fix what it may need AND THEN maintain it with also doing normal for age repairs(brakes, exhaust and such). Her little Spectra is hanging in there quite well for being 11 yrs. old now...I wish I could learn from her how to keep the interior so clean as she does with hers...but I'm and "old dog"!

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Time for an UPDATE:
With daughter and car now happily residing 65 miles away(and happily married), I found out yesterday on visiting them that she had paid off here loan on her "little car" 2 months ago(bought used). She is taking good care of it and when she went earlier last week for needed oil change, was told that the RF strut spring was broken, but in an area that with care in avoiding major potholes would be OK to drive. I've already ordered complete "quick struts" for it and as soon as they arrive will make the trip over to install them at her home(nice garage). All in all for an 11 year old car on it's original struts, it's holding together quite well for the harsh conditions(weather/roads) around the Buffalo,NY areas! Yes, I did take a look at the RF yesterday and nothing has "shifted" out of place and told her to continue to be careful with driving until I get the parts by next weekend to replace the struts(and sway bar links). :) :)

BTW: She also says she wants to keep the car another 2 years before looking for a slightly bigger vehicle!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Time for an UPDATE:
With daughter and car now happily residing 65 miles away(and happily married), I found out yesterday on visiting them that she had paid off here loan on her "little car" 2 months ago(bought used). She is taking good care of it and when she went earlier last week for needed oil change, was told that the RF strut spring was broken, but in an area that with care in avoiding major potholes would be OK to drive. I've already ordered complete "quick struts" for it and as soon as they arrive will make the trip over to install them at her home(nice garage). All in all for an 11 year old car on it's original struts, it's holding together quite well for the harsh conditions(weather/roads) around the Buffalo,NY areas! Yes, I did take a look at the RF yesterday and nothing has "shifted" out of place and told her to continue to be careful with driving until I get the parts by next weekend to replace the struts(and sway bar links). :) :)

BTW: She also says she wants to keep the car another 2 years before looking for a slightly bigger vehicle!
If cars are taken care of and properly maintained (which she is doing) they last a long time. Unfortunately people treat them like crap, complain when they break and badmouth the manufacture. Yes sometimes things do happen but a lot can be avoid. Tell her to keep up the great work. And hats off to you for fixing her car. My kids are not old enough to drive yet but I would probably be doing the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX - 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
955 Posts
...With daughter and car now happily residing 65 miles away (and happily married)...

Let your daughter and her car know that we wish them a long and happy life together.

?‍???

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Let your daughter and her car know that we wish them all the best.

?‍???
When she did her nightly call last week and reported about the spring being broken, she also reported that the PEP BOY's shop insisted that only 5w20 go into it. I've been using the same high mileage synthetic Valvoline but in 10w30(year round) in it since she's had it (3.5years), as it's over 125k miles and was consuming quite a bit of oil when we first got it.the 10w30 had been working satisfactorily for most of that time. I've seen a lot of higher mileage cars running 5w20 really drink that weight up in consumption, so told here to remember to "pop the hood" and check and top up the oil a bit more often till the next interval change.... I got the YES DAD response...I hope she does "heed my warning"! ;)

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX - 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
955 Posts
...so told here to remember to "pop the hood" and check and top up the oil a bit more often till the next interval change.... I got the YES DAD response...I hope she does "heed my warning"! ;)

Yep, I hear you!

:)

I keep having to remind my mother to do the same.

She phones me a few weeks ago to ask me if I can bring some oil over because the oil light came on "a few days ago" and when she checked the oil level it was at the very tip of the stick. (She was still driving it!)

:eek:

She's lucky she still has a (functioning) car!

richard

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
Got the struts and sway bar links on Saturday, took the wife up to daughters on Monday and while I replaced the struts (in a nice home garage), she helped with painting inside the house for mom/daughter bonding time during the Presidents Day holiday.
The car work went well for 11 yr. old original struts, and all disassembled well considering the nasty rusting action of our rustbelt area, had the whole job done in 3.5 hrs. Most uncomfortable part was fitting the struts up and in AND starting the 3 nuts up top. Glad that the job got done, as when I jacked up the RF corner and took the wheel off, the broken coil had shifted down and was very close to "poking" the tire sidewall!

All in, I spent $200. for parts that I insisted she NOT repay...newlyweds and homeowners AND the son in laws '16 Ford Fusion was in dire need of expensive 235/45r18 tires (all 4) at this same time.

·
Super Moderator
6,924 Posts
I just replaced the flexible pipe assembly on my daughters 2008 Sonata (Optima) 3.3L V6 (60k miles) with a Chinese "knock-off" . Replaced the transmission speed sensors, and the brake light switch (wouldn't shift out of park)... and of course mom and I didn't request "payment"... KIA wanted $600+ for the pipe plus labor... got the pipe with two flexible couplers for $80 shipped to my door...

Then on my daughter-in-laws 2008 Spectra (with 200k miles on it) replaced both rear wheel bearings for N/C also... The Spectra wheel bearings/hub assembly takes about 15 minutes per wheel and they can be found on ebay for under $22 each w/shipping... She hit a patch of black ice on the way back from Michigan to Ohio... spun around and missed other cars... The only damage was the stoved wheel bearings...

Just finished replacing idler wheels, tensioner, and serpintine

Yep... the kids (and family) do keep you busy...
Dave

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Well, my daughter has always insisted on paying for parts that her car may need, as long as I did the labor. But just closing and moving into their first home and renovation costs along with first cold weather heating bills, I insisted on a change this time. Tires for the Fusion, even for cheapest WalMart purchase set them back $600. and that car is now on it's 3rd set of tires, even after a full 4 wheel alignment last summer with new tires at same time. The Kia's tires are like brand new tread depth after 2 years running still.
Going to a shop for struts would have set them back much more even if she did repay me, she knows that and is very appreciative about the "extra" (late)Christmas gift.

Reactions: Superfat_dad

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Daughter "land lined" with the wife Sunday evening. Said weather was so nice that she washed and vacuumed the Spectra...AND checked ALL fluid levels. Said oil showed FULL yet after a months worth of driving. She even refilled the Washer fluid!:):rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
6,924 Posts
I haven't had any of our Spectras use oil (even the one with 200k miles) and they were never low at oil changes... Great cars!... I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty I saved from the salvage yard... It has numerous leaks that I am going to address this week... Water pump leaking antifreeze... Valve cover gaskets leaking oil onto the exhaust headers and the ground... My rebuilt 2016 Chrysler 200s also consumes oil between changes...You really don't know how good you have got it owning KIAs and Hyundais!!!...
Dave

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Daughter and son in law had to make a trip out the other day for a funeral on my wifes side of the family, They came in the Spectra. Now due to the Covid-19 they are both working from home so not putting many miles on the cars. I checked fluids and oil level when they followed us home to visit a little while. The 5-20 is still right on the full mark with 1,000 miles on it. All looking good overall on the car. She then got SNEAKY and left a card to us on our kitchen table(without saying so) that also contained a check for my cost of the struts and sway bar links that I posted of earlier. I told them when they called that they got home OK that the money was NOT asked for or would be used, and I got the response of an angry DAD USE IT! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sorento LX 3.3L GDI V6 - FWD (Sparkling Silver)
263 Posts
Well problems have started cropping up again, have had this car for 1 and a half years. Daughter came home last night and said a headlight was out. but said she stopped at an Autozone store on the way and picked up another bulb. My goodness, the car is ONLY 9 years old, and I actually had to open the hood to replace the RF bulb...What an INCONVENIENCE! Can't Kia figure out a better way for such common things to get at????::crying::
Hey! at least she didn't buy a full synthetic blinker fluid! you taught her well. my wife went for it lol, but hey to her advantage, it did promise 10,000 blinks right on the container ?

??

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
6/17/20 UPDATE:
Our area is opening back up in stages from Covid-19, Daughter starts back to partial "at office" work and partial work from home tomorrow. Son in law is taking her car today to FINALLY have the snow tires swapped back to her summer tires. I guess with more driving coming on and the fact that SUMMER officially arrives on Saturday, that the time had come to save the snows for next season.
The last oil change with 5-20 is still on full, BUT I think she has only put about 400 miles on the car since it was done. We'll see how it holds up with the hotter weather we've finally been getting. When we first got the car, it was poorly maintained and was drinking oil, with our care and some experimentation the consumption has markedly decreased since. Had been running high mileage synt. 10-30 Valvoline until she had this last oil change.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
7/18/20 UPDATE:
Well member and moderator DavesSpectra jinxed our streak of durability of these nice little cars with a recent posting of his needing some front suspension work.
Daughter brought the car out recently for a visit and said the car needed attention...it sure did! Her short drive cycles followed by it being parked thru most of the Covid-19 times has led to a case of our NY rust gremlins munching on the brake system and front control arms. I just got the little car back to her on Wednesday after having it for 2 weeks. Weather, correctly ordered parts that were misboxed or outright wrong being delivered caused most of the long time to get the work done. The following list is what needed to be done.
All rotors rusted and "scaling"...replaced with new pads AND rear calipers.also. RR caliper came with wrong part in box, looked like it may have been a front caliper for a Sorento size vehicle. had to go local AZ for one(time constraints). Got back to work on it and found the AZ unit had the wrong parking brake lever design, had to swap the arm from the old caliper(more time and aggravation). Front brake parts were ok after a good cleaning and lubing.
Next was to tackle replacing both rear main brake lines and a front line across the firewall to the RF corner. What a chore,hadn't had to replace any main lines in a long time!
Then came the real "kicker" thanks to Dave... the left front control arm had rusted thru the top side of the arm...so both sides got replaced. Like Dave posted of the front 2 bolts on the drivers side were a real nail biter, but I did get them out without the captive nuts breaking loose inside the k frame (lots of time and EFFORT). The passenger side went EASY!
After all of that and bleeding out the brakes(this went well), I did my tape measure check of front "toe" and found it now toeing in 1 1/4" with the steering wheel off center. Got that all reset to 1/16" total toe and steering wheel level. BUT while underneath I saw further work needed....
The rear converter flange to the front flex pipe was rusting open! I was so done that I took it to our local muffler shop and they cut the flanges off and welded in a pipe connection for it...SO much quieter running now!
As for costs for all this...
Parts came to $525 outsourced labor came to $20 with another $21 for a 1 month early annual NY State inspection. My daughter paid me for these costs and wanted to pay more when I answered her query of what the labor would have cost when my answer was depending on who (type repair center) would probably been around $700 - $800.
All in all she is happy and the car is back in top shape, while I rest my weary muscles for a while! :)

·
Super Moderator
6,924 Posts
Sorry I jinked you and your daughter's Spectra :oops:...
The rust belt really kills cars well before their time... Our kids are lucky to have "dads" willing to endure the un-endureable repairs... and at a cost of just the parts... Heather's KIA is back on the road and as a past Honda owner she loves her little "salvage" Spectra once again:)

I still have a copper color 2008 Spectra SX because of the pandemic... I was waiting for him to get his IRS refund and Covid19 struck and away went the money... I don't have a lot of money invested and it's a good standby car...

My rebuilt "salvage" 2016 Chrysler 200s reminds me of my past Chrysler cars...Just nickles and dimes me with parts... FIAT hasn't done much good either for Chrysler with their FIAT/EURO parts and their discontinuing models... I like the car but truthfully my wife's "salvage" 2014 Optima IS designed to be MUCH more serviceable and reliable... Parts on KIA's 2.4L are less expensive to buy and much easier to get at then with the "Multi-Fuel" Chrysler/FIAT 2.4L... It had to be thought /designed by idiots... Try replacing fuel injectors or sensors on that car... KIA/Hyundai's 2.4L is just a better engine with higher gas mileage and longevity... If nothing else I'll have my two reliable KIAs when the Chrysler dies...
Dave

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Yeah the "Shark" FIAT 2.4 and accompanying trans leaves a LOT to be desired. We are upgrading my son's 04 Neon (base model) to a 2011 3.6 Journey AWD as soon as our DMV can give us an appointment..at 3 week out earliest date thanks to COVID restrictions. At least he can then transport his complete drum kit and a passenger or two with a lot more ease. Mechanically the Neon is still fine, but body is rusting away. He got 5 years of running(abusing) it and it didn't cost us an arm and a leg to keep it going!

41 - 60 of 60 Posts