Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well problems have started cropping up again, have had this car for 1 and a half years. Daughter came home last night and said a headlight was out. but said she stopped at an Autozone store on the way and picked up another bulb. My goodness, the car is ONLY 9 years old, and I actually had to open the hood to replace the RF bulb...What an INCONVENIENCE! Can't Kia figure out a better way for such common things to get at????::crying::
>:D>:D:>:D

·
Super Moderator
6,854 Posts
Do it once....
Get a set of LED headlights...They are cheap...Much brighter than halogens... and they will probably last as long as the car...
I have them in 4 Spectras, 1 Hyundai Tiburon, and my 1997 Ford Ranger... I even put them in my lawn tractor!
Dave

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you trying to tell me that I will have to actually open the hood AGAIN? But then to do that I would also have to move the battery out of the way to do the LF one! Is this a PLUG and PLAY upgrade or do I have to upgrade wiring and such for them to work flawlessly...what about potential "FLICKER" issues??? And will the hood close properly when FINALLY finished with such an upgrade???:eek:
>:D>:D>:D

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
YUP, well aware of that!
I did this post as a way of saying that I actually had to do something to this car, and decided to write it in a PARODY form of so many nonsense posts that I have seen here.>:D

And as a final statement...daughter is happy with working OE grade bulbs!:cool:

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well another problem has arisen! Being the good dad that I am, with morning temps at 7*f I went and started the daughters Kia for her. We have not had snow for a few days,but this morning the windshield was heavily frosted. SOO after checking that wipers were free and starting the car, I turned on the defroster and int. wipers and hit the squirters and it dribble sprayed out the nozzles! Opened the hood AGAIN, and saw the reservoir was all but EMPTY! Filled it up for her. then went in the house to let her know about it and to pick up some more washer solvent, She got angry and said HOW COME? she had JUST filled it a month and a half ago! Oh yes I made sure the hood did close properly...having to keep opening that hood is a real pain to do common tasks with this car!....LOL

·
Super Moderator
6,854 Posts
MIA KIA..
.I also missed your post on replacing the headlight bulbs with LEDs ...
I thought it was funny... :)
To replace the left side bulb all you have to do is remove the shroud over the battery (if it's still there) and pull up on the air snorkel to remove it... This gives you roome to remove the OEM bulb and replace it with the LED ass'y... No flicker... no special tools...
You do have to move the spring wire around the heatsinks and remove the back covers over the headlights (the LEDs do need air...)
These are the ones I have used ...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-700W-CREE-84000LM-LED-Headlight-Kit-H4-HB2-9003-High-low-Beams-6000K-Bulbs/152777264675?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Dave

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When the daughters life settles down some(she is finishing her masters degree&working&job hunting), we will look into such an upgrade. I knew that it is NOT a difficult undertaking, but her funds are rather tight right now. Also when spring decides to arrive I still have the TB/H2O pump job to do on it(parts are waiting to go in)!

Thanks Dave!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MIA KIA..
.I also missed your post on replacing the headlight bulbs with LEDs ...
I thought it was funny... :)
To replace the left side bulb all you have to do is remove the shroud over the battery (if it's still there) and pull up on the air snorkel to remove it... This gives you roome to remove the OEM bulb and replace it with the LED ass'y... No flicker... no special tools...
You do have to move the spring wire around the heatsinks and remove the back covers over the headlights (the LEDs do need air...)
These are the ones I have used ...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-700W-CREE-84000LM-LED-Headlight-Kit-H4-HB2-9003-High-low-Beams-6000K-Bulbs/152777264675?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Dave
Thanks again Dave, But I failed to mention that I have rather large hands and it is a tight fit for the LF bulb. And no the battery cover was gone before we bought the spectra. I also had similar access trouble with the 04 spectra we had that ended up rusting to nothing and was scrapped!:D

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the little spectra survived the Nor'easter of thurs and friday. Daughter came home from work thurs. evening doing 20 - 30 mph the whole way, roads were horrible with slush and took more than an hour for an easy 30 minute drive. Overnight we got a total of 2 feet of snow, nobody was going anywhere due to trees and power lines down. BUT when we began digging cars out from the snow and drifting, the little Kia(on all season tires) pulled right out of it's "snow cocoon" it was covered in to be cleared off where there was more working room to do that wearisome task! Now we are supposed to get hit again tomorrow thru Friday!:eek:
She did not complain any of standard lighting to see by, and said she loves her little Kia!:)

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL, our 04 was much like that by the end of it's life! The Daughters 09 is now (thanks to dad) running perfectly, handles well, is fuel efficient, has all around good vision, AND she is NOT 30,000 in debt to have a car that has the same maint. requirements, costs more to insure, and doesn't need all those "bells and whistles" to tell you how to drive or that the road may be icy at 38*! OH and it is NOT all "banged up" as in the VIDEO! :)

·
Super Moderator
6,854 Posts
As before these are the BEST cars I have ever owned as far as reliability...
We have
4 Spectras (2006,2007,2008)
1 Hyundai Sonata (2008)
1 Hyundai Tiburon (2008)
2 Hyundai Accents (2008)
Between family and friends...
All but one was "salvage" I rebuilt...
Dave

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have not updated in a while, even though by the calendar it is spring I am still waiting for it to show up! Being that our 09 spectra is the daughters' car, I still do the weekly fluid checks for her. Once again the washer fluid was empty, but I had some on hand, and topped it up. Then reminded the daughter to buy some more...NO argument this time!..LOL
Also a little while back I did an oil change on it(10-30 mobil super 5000)and put in lucas oil treatment. It now has 2500 miles on the oil and has NOT consumed more than 6 ounces of oil. Last oil interval was consuming a quart in 1200 miles!
That darned hood is still a pain to have to keep opening and closing for simple tasks though!..LOL :)

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dog gone it! This little Spectra is starting to "Nickel and Dime" the heck out of me! Just had to hit the trunk button this morning and replace one of the two license plate bulbs! At least I didn't have to remove the whole light unit, as the bulb base untwists from the light housing! What is up with kia's that bulbs just don't seem to last FOREVER???...LOL
I must say though that the trunk was much more convenient for ease of use than the front hood(Bonnet)...LOL >:D

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
4/30/18 UPDATE:
3,700 miles on conventional motor oil, with Lucas oil treatment and have "topped up" the oil with just under 1/2 quart to bring it to the full mark! Will be doing oil change in another 1,300 miles. But it may take some time, as we are currently moving my daughter to an apartment that is 8 miles from her NEW EMPLOYMENT, and 50 miles from our home! Yup, I had done the last oil change in late MARCH, so now going to be much closer to work and her now Fiance (as of Sat. evening) the miles won't rack up so quickly on the little Spectra!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
New minor concern

As was posted before, our little Spectra (and daughter) now reside 50 miles away from my help. Got a call last evening that the Dash lighting have taken a life of their own, Seems that they work, but will slowly go brighter and then go dimmer but not go out while in use. ALL other functions working correctly.
MY main suspect is the dash lighting dimmer control going bad. My Haynes book does not go into detail of how to remove it from the lower dash panel. I have noticed that it is located in such a spot as to be a "knee target" on entry/exit from the little car,depending on seat location and driver size.
I would greatly appreciate any here that has had to work with this unit to reply with any directions on how this part comes out, so I can "round up" the tools needed to make a "service call" to their location without taking my whole toolbox with me...LOL :eek: :)

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to all who read my latest post,but on further "web" investigation I found that it is a "pop in" self gripping unit. Just have to get my big fat fingers up behind the dash panel and squeeze the locking tabs to "pop" it out. I plan to open the casing and try some contact cleaner and a little tension adjustment(if possible) once removed.
Will update results when the "service call" is done! :)

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
5/26/18:
Daughter came home for the holiday weekend, I looked into her dash lighting concern and was correct. The dash dimmer roller had built up gunk at the contacts, was able to remove the small cover plate bezel and a shot of compressed air blew out a chunk of "gunk". Put it back together and all is working fine now, the roller even feels like it has small detents thru turning to keep it in place once "set".
At least I didn't have to mess with that darned pesky hood this time, just open the drivers door!
ALL is WELL again and no further "gripes" from the daughter!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
6/18/18 UPDATE:
Well at 125,200 miles and 5200 miles since last oil change. The little car has used ONE quart of oil when using the lucas oil treatment that added $9.00 to the cost of doing an oil and filter change. Daughter came home for Fathers Day and spent the night, so I'm getting ready to put it up on ramps and start doing the oil change(before our temps reach near 90*f)!
I am impressed with such an improvement in curtailing the oil consumption! :) STILL trying to get her and her now fiance to learn to check oil levels and such on their cars so they don't risk blowing the motors!!! :(

1 - 20 of 44 Posts