Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 01 sephia with 119,000 miles (5 speed manual transmission) thats been giving me issues when coming to a stop, it drives fine but as soon as i start to slow down and press on the brakes the cars idle suddenly drops and the car starts bogging/stuttering as if it was going to die :mad:, the idle then regulates itself to normal after coming to a full complete stop...i have changed the fuel filter,injectors, have ran injector cleaner through the gas tank, new ngk g-power spark plugs gapped at 0.28, and have checked for any possible vaccum leaks but i dont seem to be able to find the problem...any ideas suggestions would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
1996 Kia Sephia GS
120 Posts
Have you checked the alternator and battery? I had a car that did that, for some reason its loping idle was connected to the battery. I got a new battery and it fixed the issue. You can get your battery/alternator tested at places like autozone and napa or most car parts stores. Maybe even some auto repair shops do it for free you could call around.

Any check engine lights?

*edit*

Have an IAC valve? Could be dirty.

Maybe try cleaning the throttle body or checking if its dirty? Takes only a minute or two, can clean it with a rag.

Are your brakes / cylanders leaking under the hood?

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sephia LS Sport, 1998 Dodge Dakota SLT Ext 4x4 (SOLD), 1987 Harley FXST (SOLD)
10 Posts
Ditto

I was given a very clean (EXternally) 2000 Sephia a few weeks back with 135k. He told me about the loping idle when first telling me about the car. Being a gear head from old school to new school stuff said "It's the Idle Air Controller" (Idle Air Controller Motor in the Sephia). Was mostly right. Went online and got one for $65 ($125 from national stores). Fixed it mostly. Still kinda does it but no where NEAR as it was. The old IAC motor was frozen.
Noticed a 56-3N battery in the car floating in the battery box and said "umm, that's not right". No start issue, battery dead. Very low water in 1 cell. New Group 90 battery? Bend over for $150. A Group 35A should fit, although haven't done it yet until Friday. ANYWAY....
Low voltage or "noisy" voltage will thoroughly screw up electronic control systems. Might be our issue. Here's a link for voltage stabilizer fact/fiction article. YMMV. Have never used one. Basically just capacitors filtering the spikes out of the DC in the system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts