Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. So I am having a starting issue. I have a 2012 Sorento Ex 2.4 push button with 140k miles. So I push the button and it will attempt with 2 very short attempts then fires up on the 3rd time like it should. It did this as well with the brake switch by pass. The starter engages every time just doesn’t do its normal revolutions except on the 3rd time. There was a couple of times the starter grinded Which I was stopping and starting the vehicle to get it to duplicate. So I was wearing it out. It does not do it all the time but enough to where I can duplicate it. Don’t know if the starter is not fully engaging and it’s backing off for other attempts. Vehicle drives great. No stuttering upon acceleration. Didn’t know if anyone had this issue. Any help would be terrific. If I can get a video I will.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
471 Posts
I would load test the battery first, just to make sure it's ok. Other than that, it sounds like the starter relay or the starter motor is beginning to fail. You can try blindly replacing the relay (which should be under $10) and see if that helps. If not, then you'd probably just want to replace the start motor itself. You can inspect it, but you need to take it apart.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would load test the battery first, just to make sure it's ok. Other than that, it sounds like the starter relay or the starter motor is beginning to fail. You can try blindly replacing the relay (which should be under $10) and see if that helps. If not, then you'd probably just want to replace the start motor itself. You can inspect it, but you need to take it apart.
This morning the starter grinded right off the bat. So I am leaning towards the starter now. I will double check the battery and relay first just to make sure. Then go to the starter. Thanks for the input!!

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
679 Posts
What do you mean by "grinded"? It usually grinds if the car is running and the starter engages.

Why don't you record the sound and upload it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you mean by "grinded"? It usually grinds if the car is running and the starter engages.

Why don't you record the sound and upload it.
It’s exactly that sound but the engine hasn’t started yet. Reason why I didn’t mention that initially cause it has progressively has gotten worse. Like the starter gear isn’t fully engaging to the flywheel. Taking battery and starter off tonight to test them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It ended up being the starter. Didn’t get a chance to tear it down to inspect. Turned it in for a core. Could of been either bad solenoid or bad spot on the armature. Did a bench test and it started jerking pretty bad. Just Wanted to give closure. Thanks everyone for helping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts