Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
Please help if possible.
We have a 2006 kia sorento xt, manual 5 speed diesel.
the front diff is getting hot and starting to become noisy. we cant find a fault on the diff or propshaft, ie movement or play so we think we have a transfer box issue.
The question we have is how does the auto 4wd work, ie where does the box receive its signal to engage 4wd or 2wd. is it likely to have seized in 4wd and what is required to restore 2wd.
At the moment we have the front propshaft removed and are running her in 2wd rear wheels only which is ok but not good on the snow.
We have facilities here to do any work but are equipped for landrover, not kia so have no diagnostic tool to read her.
this is my own car and not a customers and before anyone asks why an owner of an independant landrover garage runs a kia rather than a landrover its because the kia is a better car in our opinion, more stylish, cheaper to buy and better built then any of the landrovers.

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
3 days and no replys.
L take it no one has come across this problam, maybe if we break it down into bite size chunks we might get close to understanding whats going on.

2 questions.
1. when the car is in 2wd. is it the front axle or rear that is driven.

2. when the car is in 4wd, does the green check light come on the dash and go off again once shes back in 2wd.

Please respond if you know the answers.
best regards.

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,878 Posts
2 questions.
1. when the car is in 2wd. is it the front axle or rear that is driven.
Rear.

2. when the car is in 4wd, does the green check light come on the dash and go off again once shes back in 2wd.
NO.

Transfer case gets it's 'signal' for engagement by measuring the 'delta' speed between front and rear propshafts. Speed sensors for this are on the transfer case.

You may experience TC problems if system believes rear wheels are spinning faster relative to front. This can occur if rear tyres are smaller circumference either due to construction/type mismatch or wear.

Speed 'delta' will cause more torque to be transfered to front up to 50/50. 4WD LOW will lock transfer case in low ratio 50/50 torqu split. The front diff is, however continually engaged (unlike non-TOD models which have an air operated disconnect) so not sure why there would be heat build up in diff. (Presume oils are correct.)

For the TC multiplate clutch to lock up completely presume there must be a signal to activate the electomagnetic engagement.

OBDII connector under bottom of dash crash pad by steering column.

The TC clutch pack can be replaced or a/market refurbished boxes are available. System is Borg Warner and used on several makes.

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,878 Posts
ps

If yours is Pre-Facelift (138bhp engine) then try removing fuse 13 marked "TCCS" in drivers footwell panel. This disconnects TCCS (control system) and inhibits 4wd mode. That way you can check if problem is resolved and/or front diff situation.

If Facelift (170bhp engine) you can try similar (fuse 14?), but this will activate other warnings such as ABS system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thats great info, i shall try pulling the fuse once ive put the propshaft back on.
from what you are saying it seems more likely that the front differential is at fault
I did originally think this but couldent understand what had caused it to fail, then when reading the handbook there is a paragraph that says not to drive her in 4wd at speed or for long distance as it causes front diff to overheat, hence my question of how it works.

will post once ive fitted another diff.
dont suppose anyone has one for my year that they would like to sell me.
I dont fancy paying dealer price :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts